Australian PM distances government from King Charles’ decision to award medal to soldier accused of Afghanistan war crimes

Buckingham Palace decided to present commemorative medals to all living Victoria Cross recipients, which includes Ben Roberts-Smith, who attended a ceremony at Western Australia’s Government House this week to receive the honor. (Reuters/File Photo)
Short Url
Updated 29 June 2024
Follow

Australian PM distances government from King Charles’ decision to award medal to soldier accused of Afghanistan war crimes

  • Ben Roberts-Smith among those handed commemorative medals marking British monarch's coronation
  • Australian Federal Court judge last year dismissed defamation case brought by Roberts-Smith over unlawful killing claims

LONDON: The Australian government has distanced itself from the awarding of an honor from the UK’s King Charles III to a former special forces soldier accused of committing war crimes in Afghanistan.

Buckingham Palace decided to present commemorative medals to all living Victoria Cross recipients, which includes Ben Roberts-Smith, who attended a ceremony at Western Australia’s Government House this week to receive the honor.

Last year an Australian Federal Court judge concluded that Roberts-Smith was involved in the unlawful killings of four Afghan prisoners. The ruling came after a lengthy trial brought about when the former soldier sued three newspapers for defamation.

Roberts-Smith brought a case against The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age and the Canberra Times, as well as two journalists, over reports that alleged he had committed war crimes while deployed in Afghanistan. Last June, the judge dismissed the case.

Roberts-Smith, who has faced no criminal charges, has appealed the verdict and has maintained his innocence.

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said on Saturday it would be wrong for his government to get involved.

“Well, this isn’t a decision of the government, this was a decision of (Buckingham Palace) to give all VC recipients a further award,” he said.

“There’s ongoing legal action potentially on these issues, so given the government’s engagement, it’s important that there not be interference in that. But it certainly wasn’t a government decision,” he added.


Hong Kong plans to buy homes devastated in deadly high-rise fire

Updated 58 min 50 sec ago
Follow

Hong Kong plans to buy homes devastated in deadly high-rise fire

HONG KONG: Hong Kong proposes to spend about HK$4 billion ($512 million) to buy ​out the owners of homes in a high-rise housing complex ravaged by a massive fire that killed more than 160 in November, authorities said on Saturday.
The prices offered ‌will be HK$8,000 ‌per sq. ​ft. ‌without ⁠a land ​premium payment, ⁠and HK$10,500 per sq. ft for those receiving such a payment, officials in the Asian financial hub told a media briefing.
“We believe the proposed ⁠price is sufficient for ‌the affected ‌residents to relocate and ​secure long-term ‌housing,” said Wong Wai-lun, Hong ‌Kong’s deputy financial secretary.
The government also offered an apartment exchange program for the 4,600 affected tenants, who ‌lived in nearly 2,000 housing units at the complex, ⁠Wang ⁠Fuk Court.
The total outlay, estimated at HK$6.8 billion, will drop by HK$2.8 billion from a contribution by a relief fund, and could go lower still after insurance compensation in factored in, the officials said. ($1=7.8148 Hong Kong dollars)