US considering granting asylum to Afghan war hero threatened with deportation by UK

An Afghan pilot walks near a military helicopter in Kunar province. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 13 June 2023
Follow

US considering granting asylum to Afghan war hero threatened with deportation by UK

  • Politicians, military officials said it was “shameful” for Britain to turn its back on the war hero 

LONDON: The US is formally reviewing whether to grant asylum to an Afghan pilot whom the UK is threatening to deport to Rwanda, The Independent reported.

The former air force lieutenant, whose identity has been withheld because of security fears, flew dozens of combat missions targeting the Taliban and has been described as a “patriot” by former Western coalition allies.

He arrived in the UK on a small boat via the English Channel because, he said, there were no safe routes for him to use, The Independent reported.

UK Defense Secretary Ben Wallace refused to intervene after the pilot’s application to the Afghan refugee scheme was rejected this week, sparking outcry from prominent politicians and military officials who said it was “shameful” for Britain to turn its back on the war hero. 

While UK officials have made no moves to stop the Home Office from deporting the pilot, the US State Department is now reviewing his and his family’s asylum application.

Lord Dannatt, former head of the British Army, told The Independent that the pilot being “cast off” by the British for the US to deal with was a “complete abrogation of our responsibilities and decency.”

Air Marshal Edward Stringer, commander of Royal Air Force air operations during the Afghan conflict, said the UK government was making a “weaseling distinction” over the pilot’s war record.

Former Tory leader Sir Iain Duncan Smith said for the UK to “turn its back on a pilot” and fail to “do what is necessary to keep to the covenant that we protect his life as he helped to protect ours is shameful.”
 


Putin says developing Russia’s nuclear forces ‘absolute priority’

Updated 23 February 2026
Follow

Putin says developing Russia’s nuclear forces ‘absolute priority’

  • Putin vowed to keep “strengthening the army and navy” and draw on military experience from the nearly four-year conflict in Ukraine

MOSCOW: President Vladimir Putin said Sunday that developing Russia’s nuclear forces was now an “absolute priority” following the expiry of its last remaining nuclear treaty with the US.
“The development of the nuclear triad, which guarantees Russia’s security and ensures effective strategic deterrence and a balance of forces in the world, remains an absolute priority,” Putin said in a video message.
His speech came on Russia’s “Defender of the Fatherland Day,” a holiday that is an occasion for military pomp and Kremlin-sponsored patriotism.
Putin vowed to keep “strengthening the army and navy” and draw on military experience from the nearly four-year conflict in Ukraine.
All branches of the armed forces would be improved, he said, including their “combat readiness, their mobility, and their ability to operate in all conditions, even the most difficult.”
Putin’s remarks came just two days before the fourth anniversary of Russia’s assault on Ukraine that sparked a war that has shattered towns, uprooted millions and killed large numbers on both sides.
Moscow and Washington — the world’s two main nuclear powers — are no longer bound by any arms control pact since the New START agreement expired earlier this month.
But Russia said it would continue taking a “responsible” approach to strategic nuclear capability and respecting the limits set on its arsenal.