BERLIN: Switzerland coach Murat Yakin said Friday he was hoping to spring a surprise against Euro 2024 last 16 opponents Italy.
His side face the reigning champions on Saturday in Berlin and while Yakin admires Italy’s tactical football, he said his own team’s set-up was more important to him.
Italy changed formation for their 1-1 draw against Croatia which saw them scrape into the knock-out rounds but while Yakin is not planning big changes, he did want to keep his opponents on their toes.
“We’ve done our homework, not only looking at these three games but previous matches prior to the tournament, and we’ve always been struck by how Italy can mix things up in terms of personnel and shape,” Yakin told reporters.
“We’re ready for Italy, that’s the home of tactical football and I like the way they do things — they defend as a unit, they man-mark all over the pitch and not many teams do...
“However I want to focus on how we set up, our tactics and maybe even catch them off-guard.”
The sides drew twice in qualifying for the 2022 World Cup and Switzerland finished top of the group with Italy failing to make it to Qatar.
“I hope we can experience something similar tomorrow night, we’ve fought very hard to make it here,” continued Yakin.
“Italy are a neighboring country, we know them well, we know all about their temper, tactics and quality.
“It will be a special game tomorrow night and we hope it pans out the same way as our previous meetings.”
Switzerland and Inter Milan goalkeeper Yann Sommer believes the tie will be decided by key moments.
“Our goal tomorrow is to progress, these are knock-out ties and every incident becomes decisive,” said Sommer.
“It depends how the teams play on the day and which way the big moments go, if they go Italy’s way or if they go our way.”
Sommer saved a Jorginho penalty in one of the two World Cup qualifying matches against Italy and the midfielder fired another one over the bar in the other.
“I don’t want to face a penalty tomorrow night... those are water under the bridge,” said Sommer, who has a reputation as a penalty-saving expert.
“If there is a penalty then I’ll do my best to keep it out.”
Switzerland’s Yakin hoping to catch Italy off-guard in Euros
https://arab.news/yh6yn
Switzerland’s Yakin hoping to catch Italy off-guard in Euros
- His side face the reigning champions on Saturday in Berlin and while Yakin admires Italy’s tactical football, he said his own team’s set-up was more important to him
- “We’ve done our homework, not only looking at these three games but previous matches prior to the tournament,” Yakin told reporters
Postecoglou admits taking Nottingham Forest post a ‘bad decision’
- Postecoglou, 60, was appointed as Nuno Espirito Santo’s successor in September
- “There’s no point me blaming it on ‘I didn’t get time’ or anything,” said Postecoglou
LONDON: Ange Postecoglou has said he has only himself to blame for an extraordinarily brief reign as Nottingham Forest manager, with the Australian accepting he made “a bad decision” taking on the job with the Premier League strugglers.
Postecoglou, 60, was appointed as Nuno Espirito Santo’s successor in September.
But infamously impatient Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis sacked Postecoglou just 39 days later, after the experienced manager lost six of his eight games in charge.
Postecoglou, reflecting on his time at Forest for the Overlap podcast, said an over-eagerness to get back into management after his departure from Tottenham Hotspur three months earlier, had been the root cause of his troubles at the City Ground.
“There’s no point me blaming it on ‘I didn’t get time’ or anything,” said Postecoglou. “I should never have gone in there. That was on me. That was a bad decision by me to go in there. I’ve got to take ownership of that.
“It was too soon after Tottenham. I was taking over at a time where they were kind of used to doing things a certain way and I’m obviously going to do things differently. I’ve got to cop that, that was my mistake. It’s no-one else’s fault.”
Postecoglou remains without a club but he has ruled out returning to Celtic, where he enjoyed a successful two-year stint from 2021-23, with the 73-year-old Martin O’Neill currently in caretaker charge of the Scottish champions until the end of the season.
“I loved Celtic, it’s a wonderful football club,” said Postecoglou, who left the Glasgow giants to join Spurs. “If I was younger, I probably would have stayed there longer. I probably would have stayed there three, four years.
“I think I could have made progress with them in Europe but at the time, it had taken me a long time to get to this sort of space, and the opportunity to join Tottenham was too good.
“In terms of going back, I don’t go back. I just don’t think that’s kind of been my career.
“Whatever the next step is, it’ll be something new, somewhere I can make an impact in, somewhere I can win things, but it doesn’t diminish the affection I have for Celtic.”










