Swiss Euro opponents Italy ‘hate to lose’, says Aebischer

Switzerland’s midfielder Michel Aebischer, Germany’s midfielder Leroy Sane and Swiss midfielder Ruben Vargas fight for the ball during their Euro 2024 Group A match at the Frankfurt Arena in Frankfurt on Jun. 23, 2024. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 27 June 2024
Follow

Swiss Euro opponents Italy ‘hate to lose’, says Aebischer

  • Aebischer moved to Bologna from Young Boys Bern in 2022 and said his time with the Serie A side had given him an insight into the Italian football mindset.
  • “The Italians hate to lose”

STUTTGART, Germany: Switzerland midfielder Michel Aebischer said Euro 2024 last 16 opponents Italy “hate to lose” and said his side would be the underdog in Berlin on Saturday.
Switzerland had been on track to top their group but qualified second in Group A behind Germany after conceding a Niclas Fuellkrug header in injury time on Sunday.
Aebischer moved to Bologna from Young Boys Bern in 2022 and said his time with the Serie A side had given him an insight into the Italian football mindset.
“The Italians hate to lose,” he said.
“They are the reigning champions, they never give up... Italy are the favorite — there’s nothing more to say.”
After the group phase, several tournament favorites including Germany, Portugal, Spain and France are now on the other side of the draw to the Swiss.
The 27-year-old however dismissed suggestions Switzerland had an easy ride, with England potentially waiting for them in the quarter-finals.
“Of course, we saw that there are many big names in the other half of the table. But from the round of 16 onwards there are no easy opponents anyway.”
Aebischer said England “fell short of expectations” but added “I think they will improve now.”


Football star Neymar says he may retire by end of 2026

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Football star Neymar says he may retire by end of 2026

  • Brazil striker extended his contract with his childhood club Santos last month
  • Neymar ⁠remains doubtful for participation at the World Cup this year

Brazil striker Neymar, ‌who extended his contract with his childhood club Santos last month, said that he may retire by the end of the year.
The 34-year-old forward returned to his boyhood club Santos in January 2025 and played a key role in their survival in the Brazilian top flight, scoring five times in their last ‌five matches.
But Neymar, ‌who has struggled with ‌injuries ⁠in recent seasons, ⁠remains doubtful for participation at the World Cup this year.
“I don’t know what will happen from now on, I don’t know about next year,” he told Brazilian online channel Caze on Friday.
“It ⁠may be that when December comes, ‌I’ll want to ‌retire. I’m living year to year now.”
“This ‌year is a very important year, not ‌only for Santos, but also for the Brazilian national team, as it’s a World Cup year, and for me too,” Neymar said.
Neymar, ‌who recently underwent successful knee surgery, has scored 79 goals ⁠for ⁠Brazil, the highest by any player, but he has not featured for the national side since October 2023.
Brazil manager Carlo Ancelotti has made it clear over the past year that he will only include players who are fully fit for the World Cup, scheduled to take place from June 11 to July 19 in Canada, Mexico, and the United States.