PM Sharif expresses condolences over Pakistani Hajj pilgrims’ deaths due to extreme heat

Muslim pilgrims arrive to cast stones at pillars in the symbolic stoning of the devil, the last rite of the annual hajj, in Mina, near the holy city of Makkah, Saudi Arabia, on June 18, 2024. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 20 June 2024
Follow

PM Sharif expresses condolences over Pakistani Hajj pilgrims’ deaths due to extreme heat

  • Pakistani official this week confirmed nine pilgrims had died due to extreme heat in Saudi Arabia
  • Sharif directs authorities to make arrangements for pilgrims’ bodies to be brought to Pakistan

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Thursday expressed condolences over the deaths of multiple Pakistani Hajj pilgrims in Saudi Arabia due to the heat wave, his office said days after 1.5 million people performed the annual Islamic pilgrimage in the Kingdom.

A senior official of the Pakistan Hajj Mission (PHM) confirmed on Wednesday that nine Pakistani pilgrims had died in Saudi Arabia due to extreme heat as of June 18. 

“Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif expressed condolences over the martyrdom of Hajj pilgrims in Makkah,” the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) said in a statement.

“The prime minister prayed for patience for the relatives of the Hajj pilgrims.”

The PMO said Sharif spoke to Pakistan’s Deputy Prime Minister Ishaq Dar, Religious Affairs Minister Chaudhry Salik Hussain and Pakistan’s ambassador to the kingdom about the situation of the country’s Hajj pilgrims in Saudi Arabia.

“Arrangements should be made to send the bodies of the martyred pilgrims to Pakistan,” the prime minister told authorities, according to the PMO. It added that Sharif directed Pakistan’s religion ministry and consulate to provide all necessary facilities to the pilgrims.

He also directed Pakistani officials to ensure pilgrims admitted to hospitals in Saudi Arabia are provided access to every medical treatment, the PMO said.

Pakistan established two hospitals and 11 dispensaries in Makkah and Madinah to provide health care to the country’s pilgrims during the Islamic pilgrimage.

Hussain on Wednesday thanked Saudi authorities for ensuring “exemplary” arrangements for Hajj despite the sizzling heat in Saudi Arabia.

The Pakistani minister pointed out the Saudi authorities had taken several measures to mitigate the heat by setting up water sprinklers and a distribution system for cold water and beverages.

He also noted that mobile health units and dispensaries had been established in all the major areas to ensure the health of the pilgrims.
 


Attack on paramilitary post in northwest Pakistan kills seven security personnel, child

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Attack on paramilitary post in northwest Pakistan kills seven security personnel, child

  • Blast hits Frontier Corps checkpoint in Bajaur near Afghan border
  • Police recover bodies from rubble as rescue operation continues

ISLAMABAD: An attack on a paramilitary checkpoint in northwest Pakistan killed at least seven security personnel and a child on Monday, officials said, the latest in a series of attacks in a region bordering Afghanistan.

Pakistan has witnessed a steady rise in attacks in the northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province since the Taliban returned to power in Afghanistan in 2021, with most violence targeting police and security forces in former tribal districts along the border.

Islamabad says the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) militant group has reorganized across the frontier and operates from safe havens inside Afghanistan, a charge Kabul rejects, insisting it does not allow its territory to be used against other countries.

The latest attack struck a Frontier Corps (FC) post in the Mamond area of Bajaur district, destroying a small compound where security personnel were stationed.

“We have recovered seven dead bodies, one of them police, and two injured from the debris while search for other bodies is underway,” Deputy Superintendent of Police Niaz Mohammad told Arab News, describing the compound as “a structure comprising four to five rooms.”

Rescue teams continued operations to locate anyone trapped beneath the rubble, officials said.

Police did not comment on the nature of the attack but a statement from the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa chief minister’s office described it as a suicide bombing and confirmed casualties among security personnel and a child.

“The martyrdom of security personnel and a child in the terrorist attack is extremely tragic,” the statement said, adding that emergency services had been instructed to speed up rescue efforts.

Authorities said operations against militants in the province would be intensified.

Districts along Pakistan’s border with Afghanistan, including Bajaur and Bannu, have repeatedly been targeted in bombings and assaults on security checkpoints since a fragile ceasefire between Islamabad and the TTP collapsed in late 2022. Security forces continue to conduct intelligence-based operations in the region, but patrols and outposts remain frequent targets.