Injury-hit Bayern advance Zaragoza signing

Injury-hit Bayern Munich successfully brought forward the signing of Spain winger Bryan Zaragoza from La Liga club Granada, the German club announced on Thursday. (X/@iMiaSanMia)
Short Url
Updated 01 February 2024
Follow

Injury-hit Bayern advance Zaragoza signing

  • Bayern paid a reported $21 million to sign the winger, which includes a four-million euro loan fee
  • Bayern were under pressure to add to their attacking options

MUNICH, Germany: Injury-hit Bayern Munich successfully brought forward the signing of Spain winger Bryan Zaragoza from La Liga club Granada, the German club announced on Thursday.
The 22-year-old officially arrives on a loan until the summer, after which the previous deal, which runs until 2029, will come into effect.
Bayern paid a reported 19 million euros ($21 million) to sign the winger, which includes a four-million euro loan fee.
Bayern were under pressure to add to their attacking options, with forwards Serge Gnabry and Kingsley Coman expected to be out for several weeks with long-term injuries.
"In football you always have to be flexible and so we've reacted to the current situation," Bayern sporting director Christoph Freund said in a statement.
Signed in December, Zaragoza was set to join the German champions at the end of the season, but has completed a medical in Munich and will be available for Saturday's home clash with Borussia Moenchengladbach.
"I'm moving to Bayern to grow here at one of the biggest clubs in the world," Zaragoza said in a statement.
"I'm very grateful to Granada for the great time we've had together and everything the club has made possible for me.
"I'm looking forward to what's in store. We're aiming high."
A Granada youth product, Zaragoza has scored six goals and laid on two assists in 21 La Liga matches this season, including netting a double in a 2-2 draw with Barcelona in October.
In the same month, Zaragoza made his debut for Spain, coming off the bench at half-time in a 2-0 win over Scotland.
Second last in La Liga with more than half of the season played, Granada had been reluctant to allow Zaragoza to leave, having rebuffed a previous attempt earlier in the transfer window.
Bayern have already added veteran defender Eric Dier, right-back Sacha Boey and teenage striker Jonah Kusi-Asare this winter.
Bayern are second in the league on 47 points, two behind leaders Bayer Leverkusen.
The two sides clash in Leverkusen on February 10.
The German transfer window closes at 1700 GMT on Thursday.


Benfica’s Prestianni denies racially insulting Real Madrid’s Vinícius in Champions League game

Updated 9 sec ago
Follow

Benfica’s Prestianni denies racially insulting Real Madrid’s Vinícius in Champions League game

  • Cameras picked up Vinícius telling French referee François Letexier that Prestianni called him a “monkey”
  • “There is absolutely no room for racism in our sport and in society,” Infantino said

MADRID: Benfica player Gianluca Prestianni has denied racially insulting Real Madrid forward Vinícius Júnior during a Champions League match when he covered his mouth with his jersey.
“I have never been racist with anyone and I regret the threats that I received from Real Madrid players,” the 20-year-old Argentina forward, who faces a potential 10-match ban if found guilty of racial abuse in UEFA’s disciplinary code, said on X.
The European soccer governing body said Wednesday it has appointed a special investigator to gather evidence.
Benfica said Prestianni was the victim of a “defamation campaign.”
The Champions League playoff game at Benfica’s Stadium of Light was halted for nearly 10 minutes on Tuesday after the referee initiated the anti-racism protocol, which is the standard procedure when a player alleges being abused.
Cameras picked up Vinícius telling French referee François Letexier that Prestianni called him a “monkey.”
FIFA President Gianni Infantino said he was “shocked and saddened to see the incident of alleged racism” and praised the referee for activating the anti-racism protocol.
“There is absolutely no room for racism in our sport and in society,” Infantino said on X. “We need all the relevant stakeholders to take action and hold those responsible to account.”
Benfica showed support for Prestianni on Wednesday, with the Portuguese club claiming that Madrid players who said they heard the insult were too far away.
Benfica later released a statement saying they welcomed UEFA’s investigation and that they “fully support and believe the version presented” by Prestianni, “whose conduct while with the club has always been guided by respect” toward everyone.
Benfica fans had reacted angrily to Vinícius celebrating his 50th-minute goal by dancing by the corner flag, throwing bottles and other objects toward the Madrid players. Prestianni then confronted Vinícius and said something while covering his mouth with his jersey.
Madrid, which won 1-0, host the second leg on Feb. 25 with the overall winner advancing to the round of 16 in European club soccer’s top competition.
‘Racists are cowards’
After the match, Vinícius posted a photo on Instagram of him celebrating by the Benfica corner flag. He wrote: “Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouths with their shirts to show how they are weak. ... Nothing that happened today is new to me in my life and in my family’s life. I was shown a yellow card for celebrating a goal. I still don’t know why.”
Madrid players said they considered leaving the field but eventually decided to continue playing.
Vinícius covered his mouth with his hands several times, as many players do, while talking to teammates and opponents.
Benfica posted a video on X.
“As the images show, given the distance, the Real Madrid players couldn’t have heard what they have been saying that they heard,” Benfica said.
Benfica had already posted Prestianni’s statement along with the words: “Together, by your side.”
Prestianni defends himself
Prestianni insisted that Vinícius misunderstood what was said, while Benfica players after the match reportedly said the Argentine provoked the Brazil forward but never racially insulted him.
“I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults at the player Vinícius Júnior, who unfortunately misinterpreted what he thought he had heard,” Prestianni said.
He did not say why he covered his mouth.
The referee appeared to show that he did not hear anything and gestured that Prestianni had the shirt over his mouth. Vinícius, who is Black and has been repeatedly subjected to racist abuse in Spain, went to the sideline and sat in the dugout while play was stopped.
Prestianni was not shown a yellow card and continued playing. He was substituted in the 81st and was applauded by Benfica fans.
Kylian Mbappé was among the Madrid players who strongly defended Vinícius and posted on X: “Dance, Vini, and please never stop. They will never tell us what we have to do or not.”
The France great also said Prestianni should never play in the Champions League again.
Some online videos on Wednesday appeared to show a few Benfica fans doing monkey gestures from the stands.
Kick It Out criticizes Mourinho’s remarks
Benfica coach José Mourinho criticized Vinícius for celebrating by the Benfica flag. He spoke with both players and said he did not want to say he believed one over the other.
Mourinho said he told Vinícius that the greatest player in Benfica’s history — Eusébio — was also Black, but seemed to question why the Madrid player was so frequently targeted by racist abuse.
Anti-discrimination group Kick It Out criticized Mourinho’s remarks.
“When anyone reports discrimination in football, or anywhere, the first priority is that they are listened to and feel supported,” it said.
“Focusing on Vinicius Jr.’s goal celebration or the history of the club, instead of acknowledging the report, is a form of gaslighting.
“This approach not only harms the individual affected but also sends the wrong message to others around the world who may have experienced similar situations.”