Row over UN agency ‘distraction’ from dire Gaza crisis, says WHO

Palestinian refugees gather outside the offices of the UN agency for Palestinian refugees, UNRWA, in Beirut to protest against some countries’ decision to stop funding the organization. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 30 January 2024
Follow

Row over UN agency ‘distraction’ from dire Gaza crisis, says WHO

  • Aid groups slam suspension of funding for organization in war-wracked besieged enclave

GENEVA/PARIS: The World Health Organization said on Tuesday the row over funding for the UN’s Palestinian refugee agency was distracting from the humanitarian disaster in Gaza.

It urged governments to keep backing UNRWA, which has seen several key donors suspend funding over Israel’s accusations that several staff were involved in the October 7 Hamas attack.

“Criminal activity can never go unpunished,” WHO spokesman Christian Lindmeier told a media briefing in Geneva. “But the discussion ... (is) a distraction from what’s really going on every day, every hour, every minute in Gaza.”

“We appeal to donors not to suspend their funding to UNRWA at this very critical moment. (It) will only hurt the people of Gaza who desperately need support,” said Lindmeier.

“As important as this discussion is, let’s not forget what the real issues are on the ground.”

At least 12 countries have stopped funding UNRWA in recent days.

The agency has fired several employees over Israel’s accusations and promised to investigate the claims, which were not specified.

Lindmeier said UNRWA ran 22 health centers before the war but only six were still operating by mid-January.

“The population is really at the border of famine ... It’s getting worse by the day,” he said. “A malnourished population is very prone to catching diseases and infections.”

Lindmeier said the UNRWA row diverted the world’s attention from the Gaza death toll and a siege “preventing an entire population from access to clean water, food and shelter. It’s a distraction from preventing electricity to come into Gaza. 

“It’s also a distraction from the continuous shelling of an entire population — even in areas that just moments before have been designated as safe areas. It’s a distraction from attacking shelters, schools, hospitals.”

Leading NGOs have condemned the halt to UNRWA funding.

“The population faces starvation, looming famine and an outbreak of disease under Israel’s continued indiscriminate bombardment and deliberate deprivation of aid in Gaza,” they said in a statement.

Aid groups pointed to a “worsening humanitarian catastrophe” and “looming famine” in Gaza.

A number of key donors to UNRWA — including the US, Germany and Japan — have announced they are suspending funding to the agency over Israel’s accusations that some of its staff were involved in the Oct. 7 Hamas attack.

The two dozen top charities, including Oxfam and Save the Children, stressed the UN Relief and Works Agency was the main provider of aid to millions of Palestinians in Gaza and the wider Middle East.

“The suspension of funding by donor states will impact life-saving assistance for over two million civilians, over half of whom are children,” the NGOs said in a joint statement.

“The population faces starvation, looming famine and an outbreak of disease under Israel’s continued indiscriminate bombardment and deliberate deprivation of aid in Gaza.”

A total of 152 UNRWA staff had already been killed and 145 of the UN agency’s facilities had been damaged by bombardment, according to the statement, issued by the Norwegian Refugee Council, on behalf of the aid groups. “If the funding suspensions are not reversed, we may see a complete collapse of the already restricted humanitarian response in Gaza,” they said.


Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

Updated 12 min 21 sec ago
Follow

Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

  • The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint

JERUSALEM: Israeli police said Monday that they would deploy in force around the Al-Aqsa Mosque during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which begins this week, as Palestinian officials accused Israel of imposing restrictions at the compound.
Over the course of the month of fasting and prayer, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa — Islam’s third-holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed.
Arad Braverman, a senior Jerusalem police officer, said forces would be deployed “day and night” across the compound, known to Jews as the Temple Mount, and in the surrounding area.
He said thousands of police would also be on duty for Friday prayers, which draw the largest crowds of Muslim worshippers.
Braverman said police had recommended issuing 10,000 permits for Palestinians from the occupied West Bank, who require special permission to enter Jerusalem.
He did not say whether age limits would apply, adding that the final number of people would be decided by the government.
The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said in a separate statement it had been informed that permits would again be restricted to men over 55 and women over 50, mirroring last year’s criteria.
It said Israeli authorities had blocked the Islamic Waqf — the Jordanian?run body administering the site — from carrying out routine preparations, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.
A Waqf source confirmed the restrictions and said 33 of its employees had been barred from entering the compound in the week before Ramadan.
The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint.
Under long?standing arrangements, Jews may visit the compound — which they revere as the site of their second temple, destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD — but they are not permitted to pray there.
Israel says it is committed to maintaining this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.
Braverman reiterated Monday that no changes were planned.
In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far?right politician Itamar Ben-Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.