Labour will not punish calls for Gaza ceasefire, shadow minister says

Britain's main opposition Labour Party leader Keir Starmer speaks during an interview with Sky News. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 29 October 2023
Follow

Labour will not punish calls for Gaza ceasefire, shadow minister says

  • At least 12 shadow ministers have ignored the party line and called for a ceasefire
  • Starmer’s comment that “Israel has the right” to cut off power and water to Gaza prompted resignations

LONDON: Labour will not punish shadow Cabinet members for breaking party ranks by demanding a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas because it is a “diverse party,” a shadow minister has suggested.

The remarks were made by Peter Kyle — shadow science, innovation and technology minister — in an interview with Sky News on Sunday.

Labour’s position, set by Starmer, has called for a “humanitarian pause” to allow the opening of aid channels into the besieged Gaza Strip.

At least 12 shadow ministers, including Afzal Khan, Rushanara Ali, Andy Slaughter, Jess Phillips and Florence Eshalomi, have ignored the party line and called for a ceasefire.

The breaking of ranks by London Mayor Sadiq Khan, Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham, and leader of the Scottish Labour Party Anas Sarwar, took place on Friday as more than 250 Muslim councilors signed a joint letter to Starmer and his deputy, Angela Rayner, pushing for a ceasefire.

Khan, who became London’s first Muslim mayor in 2016, reportedly warned Starmer on Thursday that he would release a video on social media expressing his support for a ceasefire. Starmer asked him to reconsider but was ignored, The Guardian reported.

“It is a strength of the Labour Party because we’re probably the most diverse political party in Europe,” Kyle told Sky News. “It is a strength of the Labour Party that within our party, we have people who have a lived connection to both sides in this conflict. And they express their views absolutely forthrightly, as they should.”

He added: “Keir has listened to those and looked at the situation on the ground and he has come up with a way forward that meets the challenges being faced by people in Gaza today.”

Last week, Starmer met over a dozen Muslim politicians who said the Labour leader’s position on the war in Gaza was causing distress to many in the party.

Starmer’s comments in an interview with LBC, in which he stated that “Israel has the right” to cut off power and water to Gaza, had prompted resignations from councilors.

One person who attended the meeting said Starmer acknowledged the amount of “work to be done” in regaining the trust of Muslim voters. They said that they believed the leadership would continue to adjust their position to align with international leaders, depending on the severity of the crisis.

When asked whether Labour was taking Muslim votes for granted, Kyle told Sky News: “We’re not thinking how do we win votes or what votes we will lose at a time when there is war and conflict unfolding … Everybody has the legitimate right in a democratic society as ours … What Hamas did was wrong and we stand on the side of Israel within international law to defend itself.”
 


Gaza death toll far higher than initially reported: Lancet study

Updated 12 sec ago
Follow

Gaza death toll far higher than initially reported: Lancet study

  • Israel killed 25,000 more people by start of 2025 than was reported by authorities
  • ‘It will be a long time before we get to a full accounting of all the people killed in Gaza, if we ever get there’

LONDON: The war in Gaza saw 25,000 more deaths in its first 16 months than authorities announced at the time, according to the Lancet.

Research published by the medical journal estimated that 75,000 deaths occurred between Oct. 7, 2023, and Jan. 5, 2025, including 42,200 women, children and elderly people.

The authors of the study published on Wednesday said: “The combined evidence suggests that, as of 5 January 2025, 3-4% of the population of the Gaza Strip had been killed violently and there have been a substantial number of non-violent deaths caused indirectly by the conflict.”

Last month, an Israeli security officer told Israeli media that casualty figures published by Gaza’s health authorities were largely accurate, having previously downplayed or questioned their size, adding that around 70,000 people were thought to have been killed in Israeli assaults since Oct. 7, 2023.

Gaza’s health authorities say 71,660 people are confirmed to have died, including 570 since the singing of a ceasefire last October.

The new research suggests that those figures are below the reality. Using trained Palestinians on the ground in the enclave, it surveyed 2,000 Gazan families who were asked to provide details about members killed in the conflict.

One of the report’s authors, Prof. Michael Spagat of Royal Holloway, University of London, said the research found that 8,200 people also died in the surveyed period from “indirect” causes such as disease and hunger.

Despite covering the most intense period of the conflict, the study does not analyze anything beyond January 2025. In August, famine was declared in Gaza by UN-backed experts.

In November, a study conducted by researchers at the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research suggested that 78,318 people had been killed in the enclave by Dec. 31, 2024.

Its higher casualty rate was ascribed to a larger number of indirect fatalities, which contributed to life expectancy in Gaza dropping by 44 percent in 2023 and 47 percent in 2024.

“It will be a long time before we get to a full accounting of all the people killed in Gaza, if we ever get there,” said Spagat, who has studied conflict zones for 20 years.