Sudan’s paramilitary RSF claims capture of second city

Triumphant RSF fighters celebrate as they roam the streets of Nyala on Thursday. (X:@RSFSudan)
Short Url
Updated 27 October 2023
Follow

Sudan’s paramilitary RSF claims capture of second city

  • The capture of Nyala could mark a turning point in Sudan’s six-month war, and comes as the two sides are due to restart negotiations in Jeddah
  • Nyala is a trade hub and the capital of South Darfur, the second worst affected state after Khartoum

CAIRO: The paramilitary Rapid Support Forces that have been battling Sudan’s army for control of the country said they had seized Nyala, its second largest city, on Thursday.

The seizure of the capital of South Darfur state in the west of the country could mark a turning point in Sudan’s six-month war, and comes as the two sides are due to restart negotiations in Jeddah.
The army did not respond to a request for comment, and a network blackout made it difficult to immediately verify the claim.

 

While the RSF has covered most of the capital Khartoum on the ground, the army has managed to protect its key bases there. Meanwhile much of the government has decamped to Port Sudan on the Red Sea coast.
The RSF said in a statement that they had taken over the army’s main headquarters in Nyala and seized all its equipment. It published video, which Reuters could not verify, of its soldiers celebrating with gunfire, claiming to have overrun the base.
It also published video of RSF second-in-command Abdelrahim Dagalo, who has been sanctioned by the United States, and said he was leading the effort.
Nyala, a trade hub which observers say could serve as a base for the RSF, had been the site of vicious bouts of fighting, with air and artillery strikes killing scores of people, destroying civilian homes, disabling basic services.
At least 670,000 South Darfur residents have been displaced from their homes, the second worst affected state after Khartoum.
The RSF, whose power base lies in pockets of the Darfur region, has been accused of carrying out an ethnic massacre in West Darfur’s capital Geneina and stoking tensions across the region.
It has also taken control of Zalingei, capital of Central Darfur state. As for the other two state capitals in the region, the RSF has deployed across East Darfur capital El Daein — although the army has retained its bases there — while fierce battles are ongoing in North Darfur’s El Fasher.
 


Arab, Muslim countries slam US ambassador’s remarks on Israel’s right to Middle East land

Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

Arab, Muslim countries slam US ambassador’s remarks on Israel’s right to Middle East land

  • The backlash widened sharply on Sunday as more than a dozen Arab and Islamic governments issued a joint statement denouncing the US diplomat’s comments as “dangerous and inflammatory”

JERUSALEM: Arab and Islamic countries issued a joint condemnation on Sunday of remarks by US ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, who suggested Israel had a biblical right to a vast swath of the Middle East.
Huckabee, a former Baptist minister and a fervent Israel supporter, was speaking on the podcast of far-right commentator and Israel critic Tucker Carlson.
In an episode released Friday, Carlson pushed Huckabee on the meaning of a biblical verse sometimes interpreted as saying that Israel is entitled to the land between the river Nile in Egypt and the Euphrates in Syria and Iraq.
In response, Huckabee said: “It would be fine if they took it all.”
When pressed, however, he continued that Israel was “not asking to take all of that,” adding: “It was somewhat of a hyperbolic statement.”
The backlash widened sharply on Sunday as more than a dozen Arab and Islamic governments — alongside three major regional organizations — issued a joint statement denouncing the US diplomat’s comments as “dangerous and inflammatory.”
The statement, released by the United Arab Emirates’ foreign ministry, was signed by the UAE, Egypt, Jordan, Indonesia, Pakistan, Turkiye, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Oman, Bahrain, Lebanon, Syria and the State of Palestine, as well as the Organization of Islamic Cooperation, the Arab League and the Gulf Cooperation Council.
They said the comments contravene the UN Charter and efforts to de-escalate the Gaza war and advance a political horizon for a comprehensive settlement.
Iran joined the chorus with its foreign ministry accusing Huckabee on X of revealing “American active complicity” in what it called Israel’s “expansionist wars of aggression” against Palestinians.
Earlier, several Arab states had issued unilateral condemnations.
Saudi Arabia described the ambassador’s words as “reckless” and “irresponsible,” while Jordan said it was “an assault on the sovereignty of the countries of the region.”
Kuwait decried what it called a “flagrant violation of the principles of international law,” while Oman said the comments “threatened the prospects for peace” and stability in the region.
Egypt’s foreign ministry reaffirmed “that Israel has no sovereignty over the occupied Palestinian territory or any other Arab lands.”
The Palestinian Authority said on X that Huckabee’s words “contradict US President Donald Trump’s rejection of (Israel) annexing the West Bank.”
On Saturday, Huckabee published two posts on X further clarifying his position on other topics touched upon in the interview, but did not address his remark about the biblical verse.
The speaker of the Israeli parliament, Amir Ohana, praised Huckabee on X for his general pro-Israel stance in the interview, and accused Carlson of “falsehoods and manipulations.”
Carlson has recently found himself facing accusations of antisemitism, particularly following a lengthy, uncritical interview with self-described white nationalist Nick Fuentes — a figure who has praised Hitler, denied the Holocaust and branded American Jews as disloyal.