Saudi Arabia welcomes new Sudan peace talks in Jeddah

One official said both sides’ failure to protect civilians made clear they were no longer fit to rule the country. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 26 October 2023
Follow

Saudi Arabia welcomes new Sudan peace talks in Jeddah

  • The renewed Jeddah talks are expected to focus initially on humanitarian issues

JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia welcomed the resumption of peace talks between Sudan’s warring factions in Jeddah on Thursday as the six-month-old war continues, the Foreign Ministry said.

The talks between Sudan’s regular army and the rival paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) were sponsored by the Kingdom and the US, in partnership with a joint representative of the African Union and the Intergovernmental Authority for Development.

In a statement released by the Saudi Foreign Ministry, the Kingdom urged both sides to build on their commitments under the May 11 Jeddah Declaration of Principles to Protect the Civilians of Sudan and the short-term ceasefire agreement signed on May 20.

Saudi Arabia and the US had suspended talks in June after numerous ceasefire violations.

Fighting broke out in mid-April over plans for the RSF to be integrated into the army and over the future chain of command under an internationally backed deal to shift Sudan toward democracy after decades of conflict-ridden autocracy.

Since then, fighting has caused what UN aid chief Martin Griffiths has called “one of the worst humanitarian nightmares in recent history,” displacing almost 6 million people and killing thousands.

The Kingdom reiterated its support for efforts to reach a political agreement that would put an end to the violence, which has plunged Sudan into chaos.

Through sponsoring talks, Saudi Arabia aims to foster an agreement that would “bring security, stability and prosperity to the people of Sudan,” read the Foreign ministry’s statement.


Arab, Muslim countries slam US ambassador’s remarks on Israel’s right to Middle East land

Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

Arab, Muslim countries slam US ambassador’s remarks on Israel’s right to Middle East land

  • The backlash widened sharply on Sunday as more than a dozen Arab and Islamic governments issued a joint statement denouncing the US diplomat’s comments as “dangerous and inflammatory”

JERUSALEM: Arab and Islamic countries issued a joint condemnation on Sunday of remarks by US ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, who suggested Israel had a biblical right to a vast swath of the Middle East.
Huckabee, a former Baptist minister and a fervent Israel supporter, was speaking on the podcast of far-right commentator and Israel critic Tucker Carlson.
In an episode released Friday, Carlson pushed Huckabee on the meaning of a biblical verse sometimes interpreted as saying that Israel is entitled to the land between the river Nile in Egypt and the Euphrates in Syria and Iraq.
In response, Huckabee said: “It would be fine if they took it all.”
When pressed, however, he continued that Israel was “not asking to take all of that,” adding: “It was somewhat of a hyperbolic statement.”
The backlash widened sharply on Sunday as more than a dozen Arab and Islamic governments — alongside three major regional organizations — issued a joint statement denouncing the US diplomat’s comments as “dangerous and inflammatory.”
The statement, released by the United Arab Emirates’ foreign ministry, was signed by the UAE, Egypt, Jordan, Indonesia, Pakistan, Turkiye, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Oman, Bahrain, Lebanon, Syria and the State of Palestine, as well as the Organization of Islamic Cooperation, the Arab League and the Gulf Cooperation Council.
They said the comments contravene the UN Charter and efforts to de-escalate the Gaza war and advance a political horizon for a comprehensive settlement.
Iran joined the chorus with its foreign ministry accusing Huckabee on X of revealing “American active complicity” in what it called Israel’s “expansionist wars of aggression” against Palestinians.
Earlier, several Arab states had issued unilateral condemnations.
Saudi Arabia described the ambassador’s words as “reckless” and “irresponsible,” while Jordan said it was “an assault on the sovereignty of the countries of the region.”
Kuwait decried what it called a “flagrant violation of the principles of international law,” while Oman said the comments “threatened the prospects for peace” and stability in the region.
Egypt’s foreign ministry reaffirmed “that Israel has no sovereignty over the occupied Palestinian territory or any other Arab lands.”
The Palestinian Authority said on X that Huckabee’s words “contradict US President Donald Trump’s rejection of (Israel) annexing the West Bank.”
On Saturday, Huckabee published two posts on X further clarifying his position on other topics touched upon in the interview, but did not address his remark about the biblical verse.
The speaker of the Israeli parliament, Amir Ohana, praised Huckabee on X for his general pro-Israel stance in the interview, and accused Carlson of “falsehoods and manipulations.”
Carlson has recently found himself facing accusations of antisemitism, particularly following a lengthy, uncritical interview with self-described white nationalist Nick Fuentes — a figure who has praised Hitler, denied the Holocaust and branded American Jews as disloyal.