Pakistani gamer Arslan Ash wins ‘Uprising Korea 2023’ Tekken tournament

Tekken 7 creator and director, Katsuhiro Harada, handing Arslan 'Ash' Siddique the EVO Japan 2023 trophy on April 2, 2023. (Photo courtesy: Arslan Siddique/File)
Short Url
Updated 23 October 2023
Follow

Pakistani gamer Arslan Ash wins ‘Uprising Korea 2023’ Tekken tournament

  • Arslan ‘Ash’ Siddique became first professional gamer in August to win four global Tekken titles
  • Siddique cruises to a win over South Korea’s Galgonge 3-0 in the final after beating Atif Khan

ISLAMABAD: Pakistani gamer Arslan ‘Ash’ Siddique added another feather to his cap on Sunday after winning the ‘Uprising Korea 2023’ Tekken tournament in Seoul.

Considered one of the greatest Tekken players in the world currently, Siddique became the first professional gamer in August to win the global Tekken 7 title four times.

According to popular gaming website Event Hubs, over 110 players signed up for the ‘Uprising Korea 2023’ tournament. Siddique beat fellow Pakistani Atif Khan 2-1 in the semifinal before marching on to a win over South Korea’s Galgonge 3-0 in the final. 

“Alhamdulillah, I was able to take #Uprising2023 Challenger event in Korea,” Siddique wrote on social media platform X on Sunday night. “This win is special as I was able to win in Korea on my first time here with many of the top players.”

Khan, on the other hand, finished at number five in the tournament. He took to X to congratulate Siddique for bagging the title.

“I was upset due to my bad performance, I wanted to win this for the TWT points but I guess this is how things work,” Khan wrote.

Siddique was also part of the Pakistani trio that won the Nations Cup in Riyadh in July. The tournament was the first country-based Tekken tournament in which Pakistan emerged as winners by remaining unbeaten throughout the cup. 


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”