US sees spike in threats against Jewish, Muslim and Arab communities amid Israeli-Hamas war in Gaza

Protesters demonstrate against the Israeli military operations in Gaza during a rally in front of the White House in Washington D.C. on October 20, 2023. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 21 October 2023
Follow

US sees spike in threats against Jewish, Muslim and Arab communities amid Israeli-Hamas war in Gaza

  • ajor US Muslim group moves annual gala after threats at Virginia hotel
  • Justice Department says on alert to respond to hate crimes and threats

WASHINGTON:  US Attorney General Merrick Garland said on Thursday that the Justice Department is monitoring an increase in reported threats against Jewish, Muslim and Arab communities in the United States tied to Israel’s war with Hamas in the Gaza Strip.
President Joe Biden called on Americans to denounce Islamophobia and antisemitism in an Oval Office address Thursday night. “You’re all America,” he said.

“The entire Justice Department remains vigilant in our efforts to identify and respond to hate crimes, threats of violence, or related incidents, with particular attention to threats to faith communities,” Garland said in prepared remarks at a news conference in Jacksonville, Florida.
Garland said that last week he had directed the Federal Bureau of Investigation and US attorneys’ offices to work with state and local law enforcement agencies to respond to threats, and urged federal prosecutors to be in contact with faith and community leaders.

The latest harassment victim was the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), which was forced to move an annual banquet scheduled for Saturday to an undisclosed location after a Virginia hotel canceled the event because of threats.
CAIR said the Marriott Crystal Gateway hotel in Arlington, Virginia, which has hosted its gathering for more than 10 years, received the threats.
“Anonymous callers have threatened to plant bombs in the hotel’s parking garage, kill specific hotel staff in their homes, and storm the hotel in a repeat of the Jan. 6th attack on the US Capitol if the events moved forward,” CAIR said in a statement on Thursday night.
The group said it would proceed with the banquet on Saturday at an alternate, secured location.
A representative for the hotel was not immediately available to comment.
The move came a day after the US Campaign for Palestinian Rights, a second advocacy group, said the Hilton hotel in Houston had abruptly canceled its booking to hold its annual conference at the venue on Oct. 27-29.
Texas Governor Greg Abbott praised Hilton’s decision in a post on X, formerly Twitter, writing, “Texas has no room for hate & antisemitism.”
“The Governor’s rhetoric, and actions by the hotel echo and inflame the sharp increase in hate incidents that are targeting Arabs,” the group said in an X post, citing the recent murder of a 6-year-old Muslim boy in Illinois in what police said was a bias-motivated crime.

The Oct. 7 cross-border terrorist attacks by Hamas on Israel and Israel’s subsequent bombing of the Hamas-controlled enclave of Gaza have sparked tensions around the world, including in the United States.
The FBI said on Monday it was investigating the stabbing death of Wadea Al-Fayoume, a 6-year-old Muslim boy, in Illinois as a hate crime. A suspect has already been charged with state crimes, and authorities said the boy and his mother were targeted because they were Palestinian Americans.
US authorities on Tuesday charged a North Carolina man for allegedly sending a threatening message to a Jewish organization. Even before the current war, the Anti-Defamation League reported a record number of antisemitic incidents in the United States in 2022.

 

 


Ukraine-Russia peace talks resume in Geneva with pressure on Kyiv

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Ukraine-Russia peace talks resume in Geneva with pressure on Kyiv

  • Ukraine-Russia peace talks resume in Geneva with pressure on Kyiv
  • Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky criticizes US pressure for Ukraine concessions

GENEVA: Negotiators from Ukraine and Russia began a second day of talks in Geneva on Wednesday, as Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said the United States was putting undue pressure on him to bring an end to the four-year-old war in his country.
The US-mediated peace talks in Switzerland have been taking place as US President Donald Trump has twice in recent days suggested it was up to Ukraine and Zelensky to take steps to ensure the talks were successful.
In an interview with US website Axios published on Tuesday, Zelensky was quoted as saying that it was “not fair” Trump kept publicly calling on Ukraine, not Russia, to make concessions in negotiating terms for a peace plan.
Zelensky also ‌said any plan ‌requiring Ukraine to give up territory that Russia had not captured in the ‌eastern ⁠Donbas region would be ⁠rejected by Ukrainians if put to a referendum.
“I hope it is just his tactics and not the decision,” Axios quoted Zelensky as saying in the interview.
Trump told reporters on Monday that “Ukraine better come to the table fast. That’s all I’m telling you.”
Talks come days before fourth anniversary of invasion
The Geneva talks resumed on Wednesday morning.
“The consultations are taking place in groups by areas within the political and military groups. We are working on clarifying the parameters and mechanics of the decisions that were discussed yesterday,” Ukraine’s lead negotiator and head of the National ⁠Security and Defense Council Rustem Umerov said on social media.
The talks come just ‌days before the fourth anniversary of Russia’s 2022 invasion of its ‌much smaller neighbor. Hundreds of thousands of people have been killed, millions have fled their homes, and many Ukrainian cities, ‌towns and villages have been devastated by the conflict.
Russia denies deliberately targeting civilians.
Russian source called talks ‘very tense’
Umerov ‌said Tuesday’s talks had focused on “practical issues and the mechanics of possible decisions,” without providing details. Russian officials made no comments on the talks.
However, Russian news agencies quoted a source as saying that the Tuesday talks were “very tense” and lasted six hours in different bilateral and trilateral formats.
Ukrainian government bonds fell as much as 1.9 cents on the dollar in ‌morning trade in Europe on reports of stalled progress at the talks.
Before the talks began, Umerov had played down hopes for a significant step forward in ⁠Geneva, saying the Ukrainian delegation ⁠was working “without excessive expectations.”
The Geneva meeting follows two rounds of US-brokered talks in Abu Dhabi that concluded without a major breakthrough as the two sides remained far apart on key issues such as the control of territory in eastern Ukraine.
Russia occupies about 20 percent of Ukraine’s national territory, including Crimea and parts of the eastern Donbas region seized before the 2022 full-scale invasion. Its recent airstrikes on energy infrastructure have left hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians without heating and power during a harsh winter.
Zelensky thanked Trump for his peacemaking efforts and told Axios that his conversations with the top US negotiators, envoy Steve Witkoff and the president’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, did not involve the same kind of pressure.
Witkoff early on Wednesday said Trump’s efforts to get Russia and Ukraine talking were yielding fruit.
“President Trump’s success in bringing both sides of this war together has brought about meaningful progress, and we are proud to work under his leadership to stop the killing in this terrible conflict,” he said on X. “Both parties agreed to update their respective leaders and continue working toward a deal.”