Migrants on Italian island clash with police in housing protest

The number of migrants arriving in Italy after crossing on boats from North Africa has surged this year, at almost 124,000 since January -- up from 65,500 during the same period in 2022. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 14 September 2023
Follow

Migrants on Italian island clash with police in housing protest

  • Almost 7,000 people have arrived on Lampedusa in recent days
  • Italy’s PM ‘doesn’t see any concrete answers’ to migration surge

LONDON:Migrants in Italy have clashed with authorities after demanding that they be transferred from landing sites to housing across the country, Euractiv reported.

Hundreds of new migrants on the island of Lampedusa protested their living conditions at the Favaloro pier, with local police carrying out a “lightning raid” to deter violence.

Italy has faced a surge in migration from the Mediterranean, with barges and fishing vessels crossing from North Africa weekly.

Lampedusa, south of Sicily and Malta, has proved a popular arrival point owing to its location as the first entry into Europe from the Mediterranean.

Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni said: “The issue of relocation (in other EU countries) is secondary. Very few people have been relocated in recent months.

“The question is not how to unload the problem; it’s how to stop the arrivals in Italy, and I still don’t see any concrete answers.”

Italy’s landing sites are operating at maximum capacity, with reception centers overstretched.

Almost 7,000 migrants, including 257 minors, have landed on Lampedusa in recent days. 

Italian authorities are carrying out emergency migrant transfers off the island to relieve pressure on landing sites and reception centers.

European Parliament President Roberta Metsola said: “The solutions cannot be found at the national level, but only at the European level. I think there is no other option but to conclude the migration pact.

“The citizens of all EU countries have asked us to find solutions.

“Ten years after the Lampedusa tragedy, we still have not done enough.”


Burkina jihadist attacks on army leave at least 10 dead

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Burkina jihadist attacks on army leave at least 10 dead

ABIDJAN, Ivory Coast: Suspected Islamist militants attacked an army unit in northern Burkina Faso Sunday, the latest in a series of alleged jihadist attacks that have killed at least 10 people in four days, security sources told AFP.
The west African country, ruled by a military junta since a 2022 coup, has been plagued with violence from militants allied to Al-Qaeda or the Daesh group for more than a decade.
Social media has been awash with speculation that the spate of attacks may have killed dozens of soldiers, but AFP has been unable to independently verify those claims.
The junta, which seized power on the promise to crack down on the violence, has ceased to communicate on jihadist attacks.
On Sunday, militants carried out a major attack on a military detachment in the northern town of Nare, two security sources told AFP.
The previous day, the Burkinabe army’s unit in the northern city of Titao was “targeted by a group of several hundred terrorists,” one of the sources said.
While the source did not give a death toll for either attack, they said part of the military base in Titao had been destroyed.
The interior minister of Ghana, which borders Burkina Faso to the south, said the government had “received disturbing information from Burkina Faso of a truck carrying tomato traders from Ghana which was caught in a terrorist attack in Titao.”

Jihadist ‘coordination’

According to the same security source, another army base in Tandjari, in the east of the country, was also attacked Saturday, and several officers killed.
“This series of attacks is not a coincidence,” the source said. “There seems to be coordination among the jihadists.”
A separate security source told AFP that a “terrorist group attacked the (military) detachment in Bilanga,” in the east of the country, on Thursday.
“Much of the detachment was ransacked,” the source said, giving a toll of “about 10 deaths” among the soldiers and civilian volunteers fighting alongside the army.
A local source confirmed the attack, adding there was damage in the town of Bilanga, and that the assailants had stayed at the scene until the following day.
Despite the junta’s vow to restore security, Burkina Faso remains caught in a spiral of violence.
According to conflict monitor ACLED, the unrest has killed tens of thousands of civilians and soldiers since 2015 — and more than half of those deaths have come in the past three years.