MOSCOW: The Kremlin said that Western suggestions Russian mercenary boss Yevgeny Prigozhin had been killed on its orders were an “absolute lie” while declining to definitively confirm his death, citing the need to wait for test results.
Russia’s aviation authority has said that Prigozhin, head of the Wagner mercenary group, was on board a private jet which crashed on Wednesday evening northwest of Moscow with no survivors.
President Vladimir Putin sent his condolences to Prigozhin’s family on Thursday, breaking his silence after the crash which occurred exactly two months to the day after Prigozhin led a failed mutiny against army chiefs.
Putin cited “preliminary information” as indicating that Prigozhin and his top associates in the Wagner mercenary group had all been killed and, while praising Prigozhin, said he had also made some “serious mistakes.”
Western politicians and commentators have suggested, without presenting evidence, that Putin ordered Prigozhin to be killed in order to punish him for launching the June 23-34 mutiny against the army’s leadership which also represented the biggest challenge to Putin’s own rule since he came to power in 1999.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said the accusation and many others like it were false.
“There is now a great deal of speculation surrounding this plane crash and the tragic deaths of the plane’s passengers, including Yevgeny Prigozhin. Of course, in the West, all this speculation is presented from a well-known angle,” Peskov told reporters.
“All of this is an absolute lie, and here, when covering this issue, it is necessary to base yourself on facts. There are not many facts yet. They need to be established in the course of investigative actions,” he said.
Earlier on Friday, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov had scolded US President Joe Biden for expressing his lack of surprise that Prigozhin had been killed in a plane crash, accusing Biden of disregarding diplomatic norms.
‘WAIT FOR TEST RESULTS’
Russian investigators have opened a probe into what happened, but have not yet said what they suspect caused the plane to suddenly fall from the sky northwest of Moscow.
Nor have they officially confirmed the identities of the 10 bodies recovered from the wreckage.
Asked if the Kremlin had received official confirmation of Prigozhin’s death, Peskov said: “If you listened carefully to the Russian president’s statement, he said that all the necessary tests, including genetic tests, will now be carried out. The official results — as soon as they are ready to be published, will be published.”
Peskov, who said Putin had not met Prigozhin recently, also said it was unclear how long the tests and investigative work would take.
It was therefore impossible to start talking about whether Putin would attend Prigozhin’s funeral, Peskov said in answer to a question on the subject.
“There are no dates for the funeral yet, it is impossible to talk about it at all. The only thing I can say is that the president has a rather busy schedule at the moment.”
British military intelligence said on Friday there was not yet definitive proof that Prigozhin had been onboard but that it was “highly likely” he was dead.
The Pentagon has said its own initial asessment is that Prigozhin was killed.
Russia’s Baza news outlet, which has good sources among law enforcement agencies, has reported that investigators are focusing on a theory that one or two bombs may have been planted on board the plane.
Asked about the future of the Wagner Group, which has series of lucrative contracts across Africa and a contingent in Belarus training the army there but now appears leaderless, Kremlin spokesman Peskov was concise.
“I can’t tell you anything now, I don’t know,” he said.
Kremlin calls accusations it killed Wagner boss Prigozhin an ‘absolute lie’
Short Url
https://arab.news/veu8q
Kremlin calls accusations it killed Wagner boss Prigozhin an ‘absolute lie’
- Russia says investigation results are needed first
- Moscow condemns US President’s comments as unacceptable
Cuban FM to meet Putin Wednesday amid oil crisis: Kremlin
- Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez will meet Russian President Vladimir Putin in Moscow on Wednesday, the Kremlin said
MOSCOW: Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez will meet Russian President Vladimir Putin in Moscow on Wednesday, the Kremlin said, in a visit to the socialist island’s traditional ally during a crippling US oil embargo.
Moscow has accused the United States of using “suffocating measures” against Havana and has said it was mulling sending aid to Cuba.
US President Donald Trump cut off key supplies of Venezuelan oil to Cuba after ousting Venezuela’s Nicolas Maduro. He has also threatened sanctions on countries that sell oil to Cuba.
The island has long grappled with a severe fuel shortage but the US embargo has deepened the crisis.
“Putin will receive Bruno Rodriguez in the Kremlin,” the Russian leader’s spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, told reporters, including AFP.
“The Russian Federation has consistently opposed the blockade of Cuba,” Peskov said, adding: “we provide assistance to our friends.”
Cuba has been allied to Moscow since its 1960s socialist revolution, relying on the Soviet Union for economic and political support for decades.
The Kremlin maintained close ties to the Caribbean island after the USSR collapsed.
Russia’s foreign ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova earlier said Rodriguez was leading a Cuban delegation that is “currently in Moscow.”
Rodriguez will also hold talks with his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov, Zakharova said.
Putin, an ex-KGB spy, visited Cuba in 2014, meeting with the island’s revolution leader Fidel Castro, who died two years later.
Moscow has accused the United States of using “suffocating measures” against Havana and has said it was mulling sending aid to Cuba.
US President Donald Trump cut off key supplies of Venezuelan oil to Cuba after ousting Venezuela’s Nicolas Maduro. He has also threatened sanctions on countries that sell oil to Cuba.
The island has long grappled with a severe fuel shortage but the US embargo has deepened the crisis.
“Putin will receive Bruno Rodriguez in the Kremlin,” the Russian leader’s spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, told reporters, including AFP.
“The Russian Federation has consistently opposed the blockade of Cuba,” Peskov said, adding: “we provide assistance to our friends.”
Cuba has been allied to Moscow since its 1960s socialist revolution, relying on the Soviet Union for economic and political support for decades.
The Kremlin maintained close ties to the Caribbean island after the USSR collapsed.
Russia’s foreign ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova earlier said Rodriguez was leading a Cuban delegation that is “currently in Moscow.”
Rodriguez will also hold talks with his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov, Zakharova said.
Putin, an ex-KGB spy, visited Cuba in 2014, meeting with the island’s revolution leader Fidel Castro, who died two years later.
© 2026 SAUDI RESEARCH & PUBLISHING COMPANY, All Rights Reserved And subject to Terms of Use Agreement.










