7th EU-UNRWA Strategic Dialogue held in Brussels

UNRWA and the EU held their 7th Strategic Dialogue in Brussels, Belgium. (UNRWA)
Short Url
Updated 08 March 2023
Follow

7th EU-UNRWA Strategic Dialogue held in Brussels

  • Meetings focused on UNRWA services in the West Bank, Gaza, Syria, Lebanon and Jordan

BRUSSELS: The 7th Strategic Dialogue between the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) and the EU was held on Thursday in Brussels.

The strategic dialogue is an annual forum for both organizations to assess and evaluate their cooperation in line with their signed joint declaration for 2021-2024. 

During the meeting, participants discussed the challenging political and financial environment in which UNRWA operates and agreed to provide the agency with adequate and sustainable funding so that it can continue to fulfill its mandate and contribute to regional stability. 

“As UNRWA approaches its 75th anniversary, it is reflecting on how to remain efficient, impactful and relevant to the wellbeing and human development of Palestine refugees and, consequently to their feeling safe and secure”,  UNRWA  Deputy Commissioner-General Leni Stenseth said. 

“The agency is rolling out ambitious modernization plans, including on digitalization, to ensure that its services, namely education, health and social protection are effective and high quality. 

“This dialogue is an opportunity for UNRWA and the EU, one of our strongest partners, to reflect on our common commitment to the rights of Palestine refugees and find ways to help fulfill them despite the acute financial challenges that the agency faces,” Stenseth said.

As part of the strategic dialogue, the UNRWA delegation met with representatives of various European institutions, such as the European Commission and the European Parliament, as well as civil society organizations. 

All meetings focused on the role played by UNRWA, and the stability its services help to bring to the lives of refugees in the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, Gaza, Syria, Lebanon and Jordan.

 


Tunisia lawmaker jailed eight months for criticizing president

Updated 13 sec ago
Follow

Tunisia lawmaker jailed eight months for criticizing president

  • Ahmed Saidani was taken into custody earlier this month after posting on social media
  • Dozens of his critics are being prosecuted or in prison, including under a law criminalizing “false news“

TUNIS: A Tunisian court has sentenced a lawmaker to eight months in prison for criticizing President Kais Saied following recent floods, local media reported.
Ahmed Saidani was taken into custody earlier this month after posting on social media about Saied’s visits to areas affected by floods, calling him the “supreme commander of sanitation and stormwater drainage.”
Saidani’s lawyer, Houssem Eddine Ben Attia, had told AFP his client was being prosecuted under a telecommunications law against “harming others via social media,” which carries up to two years in prison.
Rights groups have warned of a rollback on freedoms in Tunisia since Saied staged a sweeping power grab in 2021.
Dozens of his critics are being prosecuted or in prison, including under a law criminalizing “false news.”
Saidani had backed Saied’s power grab and the detention of several opposition figures, but has recently become vocally critical of the president.
At least five people died and others were still missing after Tunisia was hit by its heaviest rainfall in more than 70 years last month.