Germany funds playground at UNRWA-run girls’ school in Jordan

The German Ambassador to Jordan inaugurates a green play area at the UNRWA Talbieh Girls’ School. (UNRWA)
Short Url
Updated 21 February 2023
Follow

Germany funds playground at UNRWA-run girls’ school in Jordan

  • Move follows German foreign minister’s visit to Palestinian refugee camp

AMMAN: A new playground for Palestinian refugee children was opened on Monday using German funding through the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees.

The money for the green play area was delivered after German FM Annalena Baerbock visited the Talbieh refugee camp earlier this month and met with students from Talbieh Girls’ School.

Students spoke to Baerbock about their studies, goals and their desire for green areas, playgrounds and recreational spaces in the densely built and populated camp.

“I am glad that we were able to provide this support — I am convinced that every child deserves a good school, and also one with a beautiful school yard,” German Ambassador to Jordan Bernhard Kampmann said.

“With this project, we want to show that we see the people that UNRWA serves every day and the dedication of UNRWA staff: Teachers, doctors and the humanitarian personnel,” Kampmann added.

In his speech, the ambassador also thanked the UNRWA for its support toward Palestinian refugees affected by the recent earthquakes: “Our hearts and thoughts are with those affected by the disastrous earthquakes in Turkey and Syria. We are grateful for UNRWA’s assistance to Palestine refugees — especially in times of hardship, but also every day here in Jordan.”

Tamara Al-Rifai, director of external relations and communications at UNRWA, added: “We are thrilled to see a playground with trees and plants.

“UNRWA is strongly advocating for greener camps and for recreational areas for camp residents, including children.

“Here, it is the children’s right to play and to safety that Germany is directly supporting. It would be fantastic if similar green spaces were replicated across all UNRWA camps in the region.”

The UNRWA is committed to achieving the UN Sustainable Development Goals.

In 2022, Germany contributed about €190 million ($200 million) to UNRWA operations.


The UN says Al-Hol camp population has dropped sharply as Syria moves to relocate remaining families

Updated 15 February 2026
Follow

The UN says Al-Hol camp population has dropped sharply as Syria moves to relocate remaining families

  • Forces of Syria’s central government captured the Al-Hol camp on Jan. 21 during a weekslong offensive against the SDF, which had been running the camp near the border with Iraq for a decade

DAMASCUS: The UN refugee agency said Sunday that a large number of residents of a camp housing family members of suspected Daesh group militants have left and the Syrian government plans to relocate those who remain.
Gonzalo Vargas Llosa, UNHCR’s representative in Syria, said in a statement that the agency “has observed a significant decrease in the number of residents in Al-Hol camp in recent weeks.”
“Syrian authorities have informed UNHCR of their plan to relocate the remaining families to Akhtarin camp in Aleppo Governorate (province) and have requested UNHCR’s support to assist the population in the new camp, which we stand ready to provide,” he said.
He added that UNHCR “will continue to support the return and reintegration of Syrians who have departed Al-Hol, as well as those who remain.”
The statement did not say how residents had left the camp or how many remain. Many families are believed to have escaped either during the chaos when government forces captured the camp from the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces last month or afterward.
There was no immediate statement from the Syrian government and a government spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment.
At its peak after the defeat of IS in Syria in 2019, around 73,000 people were living at Al-Hol. Since then, the number has declined with some countries repatriating their citizens. The camp’s residents are mostly children and women, including many wives or widows of IS members.
The camp’s residents are not technically prisoners and most have not been accused of crimes, but they have been held in de facto detention at the heavily guarded facility.
Forces of Syria’s central government captured the Al-Hol camp on Jan. 21 during a weekslong offensive against the SDF, which had been running the camp near the border with Iraq for a decade. A ceasefire deal has since ended the fighting.
Separately, thousands of accused IS militants who were held in detention centers in northeastern Syria have been transferred to Iraq to stand trial under an agreement with the US
The US military said Friday that it had completed the transfer of more than 5,700 adult male IS suspects from detention facilities in Syria to Iraqi custody.
Iraq’s National Center for International Judicial Cooperation said a total of 5,704 suspects from 61 countries who were affiliated with IS — most of them Syrian and Iraqi — were transferred from prisons in Syria. They are now being interrogated in Iraq.