Commemorative logo, photo exhibition launched to mark 60th anniversary of Pakistan-Kuwait ties 

Amb of Kuwait to Pakistan, Nassar Abdulrahman Jasser Almutairi, at event to commemorate the 60th Anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Kuwait and Pakistan in Islamabad, Pakistan on February 28, 2023. (Photo courtesy: Foreign Office Pakistan)
Short Url
Updated 28 February 2023
Follow

Commemorative logo, photo exhibition launched to mark 60th anniversary of Pakistan-Kuwait ties 

  • Kuwait hosts a sizeable Pakistani diaspora playing a critical role in development, prosperity of both nations 
  • Last year, Kuwait-backed firms said they were planning several projects in Pakistan to the tune of $750 million 

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan and Kuwait on Tuesday celebrated 60th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between the two countries at an event in Islamabad, the Pakistani foreign office said, issuing a commemorative logo and inaugurating a photo exhibition. 

Pakistan and Kuwait have a long history of bilateral ties, with Pakistani forces taking an active part in the liberation of Kuwait along with coalition forces in 1991. 

After the end of the first Gulf War in 1991, Pakistani army engineers were involved in a program of mine clearance in the country. During the COVID-19 pandemic, Pakistan sent hundreds of doctors, nurses and technicians to Kuwait, where a little over 100,000 Pakistanis live. 

Kuwait has been a long-time supplier of white oil products to Pakistan on favorable payment terms and the Kuwait Foreign Petroleum Exploration Company (KUFPEC) has also been investing in Pakistan for many decades. 

The joint event was organized by the Pakistani Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Embassy of Kuwait in Islamabad, at which Pakistan’s State Minister for Foreign Affairs Hina Rabbani Khar hailed the historic bilateral relationship that was characterized by fraternal ties, common aspirations and values as well as bright prospects for future cooperation. 

“A commemorative logo of 60th Anniversary was unveiled in the joint event. A photo exhibition was also inaugurated by the Minister of State, depicting various aspects of the bilateral relations between the two countries as well as high-level exchanges,” the Pakistani foreign office said. 

“Representatives of the Diplomatic Corps, UN and Government officials, business community, academia, media, and civil society attended the joint event.” 

Kuwait’s Ambassador to Islamabad Nassar Abdulrahman Jasser Almutairi also shed light on the history of brotherly relations between the two countries and peoples at the joint event. 

Kuwait hosts a sizeable Pakistani diaspora playing a critical role in the development and prosperity of both nations. The joint event marked the beginning of year-long activities that would be organized both in Kuwait and Pakistan with a view to transform fraternal ties into more concrete and mutually rewarding economic relations. 

Last year, Kuwait-backed firms said they were planning projects in Pakistan to the tune of $750 million, marking one of the largest proposed investments in the South Asian country in recent years. Pakistani and Kuwaiti companies are also working on a water pipeline valued at $200 million. 

Earlier this month, Pakistani Minister for Planning, Ahsan Iqbal, met the Minister for Finance of Kuwait, Abdul Wahab Al-Rasheed, on the sidelines of the World Government Summit in Dubai and agreed to boost economic ties. 

The two sides also discussed enhancing access to the Kuwaiti market for Pakistani products and labor force and the opportunities offered to Kuwait by the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor. 


Gunmen kidnap nine laborers in southwestern Pakistan, say officials

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Gunmen kidnap nine laborers in southwestern Pakistan, say officials

  • Gunmen abducted six laborers from Khuzdar district, three from Barkhan on Saturday night, say officials 
  • No group has claimed responsibility for kidnappings but separatist BLA group has targeted laborers in Balochistan

QUETTA: Unidentified gunmen this week kidnapped nine laborers from two separate construction sites in Pakistan’s southwestern Balochistan province, police and government officials said on Sunday, as security forces conduct search operations to recover them. 

The first incident occurred on Saturday night in the mountainous district of Khuzdar, where armed men abducted workers from a water channel construction site.

“Six laborers working for a private construction company were kidnapped after armed men stormed a construction site of a water channel in Mola, a mountainous town in Khuzdar,” Senior Superintendent of Police Khuzdar Shahzad Umar Abbas told Arab News.

He said the laborers were from Sindh and Balochistan, adding that police teams have started search operations to recover the kidnapped laborers. 

The second incident also took place during Saturday night when gunmen abducted three laborers from Dola river located around 12 kilometers from Barkhan city in Balochistan.

Abdullah Khosa, deputy commissioner of Barkhan, said armed men came from the nearby mountains at around 9:30 p.m. and kidnapped the laborers while they were inside their camp. 

“Security forces have been in pursuit of the kidnappers and search operations are going on for the safe recovery of the laborers,” Khosa told Arab News. 

While no group has claimed responsibility for the kidnapping, the separatist Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) has in the past claimed abducting and killing laborers. 

The BLA has targeted laborers mostly from Pakistan’s eastern Punjab province in the recent past. Ethnic Baloch militant groups such as the BLA accuse the central government and Punjab of monopolizing profits from Balochistan’s natural resources. The state denies these allegations. 

Balochistan, which shares porous borders with Afghanistan and Iran, has been the scene of a low-lying insurgency for decades. Militants have frequently targeted government officials, security forces, laborers and Chinese personnel in the area. 

The BLA launched a series of coordinated attacks in Balochistan on Jan. 30-31 which claimed over 50 lives while the army said 216 militants were killed.