US drone strike kills 2 suspected Al-Qaeda militants in Yemen’s Marib

The US has killed hundreds of Al-Qaeda militants through drone strikes in Yemen. (Getty Images)
Short Url
Updated 27 February 2023
Follow

US drone strike kills 2 suspected Al-Qaeda militants in Yemen’s Marib

  • A missile blasted through a house owned by three unnamed persons, killing two and injuring another
  • Follows January assassination of bomb-maker Hussein Hadboul

AL-MUKALLA: Two suspected Al-Qaeda militants were killed after an alleged US drone struck their home in Yemen’s central province of Marib, the latest in a series of similar strikes on Al-Qaeda in Yemen.

A large explosion shook the Al-Hosen region in Marib’s Wadi Abeda district, according to residents and a local journalist, when a missile blasted through a house owned by three unnamed persons, killing two and injuring another.

A journalist in Marib told Arab News that the strike in Al-Hosen killed two people, but he could not confirm if the deceased were members of Al-Qaeda.

On Jan. 30, a US drone attack in the Wadi Abeda district of Marib killed three Al-Qaeda members, including bomb-maker Hussein Hadboul and his brother. Yemeni security officials described Hadboul, also known as Hassan Al-Hadrami, as the most senior Al-Qaeda operative killed by a drone strike in recent months.

Hadboul was responsible for constructing bombs and other explosive devices that targeted security and military institutions around Yemen. Throughout the last six months, Al-Qaeda’s roadside bombs and IEDs have killed more than 70 soldiers and injured more than 170 as Yemeni government troops have advanced toward the militants’ rural and mountainous strongholds in the southern provinces of Shabwa and Abyan.

For more than two decades, the US has carried out secret drone operations in Yemen, killing hundreds of Al-Qaeda militants, including senior leaders, as well as civilians in Hadramout, Abyan, Al-Bayda, Marib and other Yemeni provinces.

Drone strikes have decreased dramatically over the last five years, with most of them concentrated in the central Yemeni province of Marib, after the Yemeni army’s successful expulsion of Al-Qaeda from strongholds in the south.

Meanwhile, in the southern city of Aden, a massive fire on Monday destroyed a carpet retail center in Crater district, claiming three lives and leaving one person missing.

Residents said that a fire ripped through the carpet business in the morning, destroying much of the building. The cause of the fire is unknown.


US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

  • The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year
  • Trump told reporters on Friday that Al-Sharaa was “doing a phenomenal job” as president

WASHINGTON: The Trump administration has informed Congress that it intends to proceed with planning for a potential re-opening of the US Embassy in Damascus, Syria, which was shuttered in 2012 during the country’s civil war.
A notice to congressional committees earlier this month, which was obtained by The Associated Press, informed lawmakers of the State Department’s “intent to implement a phased approach to potentially resume embassy operations in Syria.”
The Feb. 10 notification said that spending on the plans would begin in 15 days, or next week, although there was no timeline offered for when they would be complete or when US personnel might return to Damascus on a full-time basis.
The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year, shortly after longtime strongman Bashar Assad was ousted in December 2024, and it has been a priority for President Donald Trump’s ambassador to Turkiye and special envoy for Syria, Tom Barrack.
Barrack has pushed for a deep rapprochement with Syria and its new leadership under former rebel Ahmad Al-Sharaa and has successfully advocated for the lifting of US sanctions and a reintegration of Syria into the regional and international communities.
Trump told reporters on Friday that Al-Sharaa was “doing a phenomenal job” as president. “He’s a rough guy. He’s not a choir boy. A choir boy couldn’t do it,” Trump said. “But Syria’s coming together.”
Last May, Barrack visited Damascus and raised the US flag at the embassy compound, although the embassy was not yet re-opened.
The same day the congressional notification was sent, Barrack lauded Syria’s decision to participate in the coalition that is combating the Daesh militant group, even as the US military has withdrawn from a small, but important, base in the southeast and there remain significant issues between the government and the Kurdish minority.
“Regional solutions, shared responsibility. Syria’s participation in the D-Daesh Coalition meeting in Riyadh marks a new chapter in collective security,” Barrack said.
The embassy re-opening plans are classified and the State Department declined to comment on details beyond confirming that the congressional notification was sent.
However, the department has taken a similar “phased” approach in its plans to re-open the US Embassy in Caracas, Venezuela, following the US military operation that ousted former President Nicolás Maduro in January, with the deployment of temporary staffers who would live in and work out of interim facilities.