Israeli strikes in Lebanon kill at least 12 people, intensifying rising regional tensions

1 / 3
Lebanese official media said at least six people were killed in Israeli strikes in the country’s east on Friday, as the Israeli army said it had targeted sites belonging to the militant group Hezbollah. (X/@DayasIbn14979)
2 / 3
Lebanese official media said at least six people were killed in Israeli strikes in the country’s east on Friday, as the Israeli army said it had targeted sites belonging to the militant group Hezbollah. (X/@DayasIbn14979)
3 / 3
Lebanon said Israeli strikes on the country’s east and south killed at least eight people on Friday, with Israel’s army saying it targeted militant group Hezbollah and its Palestinian ally Hamas. (X/@menwallb)
Short Url
Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Israeli strikes in Lebanon kill at least 12 people, intensifying rising regional tensions

  • Hamas acknowledged that two of its members had been killed in the strike but called the claim that a command center was struck a “flimsy pretext”
  • Israel said it had hit “command centers” of the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah in Bekaa Valley

BEIRUT: At least 10 people were killed and 24 wounded — including three children — in Israeli strikes in Lebanon’s eastern Bekaa Valley Friday, the Lebanese Health Ministry reported. Another two people were killed by an Israeli strike on a Palestinian refugee camp earlier in the day.
Israel said it had hit “command centers” of the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah in Bekaa Valley. There was no immediate statement from Hezbollah.

Local television footage from the scene of one of the strikes in the Bekaa showed the targeted site appeared to be an apartment building, and emergency crews were fighting a fire and searching in the rubble for survivors.
Earlier Friday, another Israeli strike had hit a Palestinian refugee camp in the port city of Sidon, killing two people.
The Israeli military said it hit a “Hamas command center” in the Ein el-Hilweh camp. Hamas acknowledged that two of its members had been killed in the strike but called the claim that a command center was struck a “flimsy pretext.” It said the targeted building belonged to a joint security force made up of various Palestinian factions that is tasked with maintaining security in the camp.
After the Oct. 7, 2023, Hamas-led attack on Israel triggered war in Gaza, Hezbollah began firing rockets from Lebanon into Israel in support of Hamas and the Palestinians.
Israel responded with airstrikes and shelling. The low-level conflict escalated into full-scale war in September 2024, later reined in but not fully stopped by a US-brokered ceasefire two months later.
Since then, Israel has accused Hezbollah of trying to rebuild and has carried out near-daily strikes in Lebanon that it says target Hezbollah militants and facilities. Hezbollah has claimed one strike against Israel since the ceasefire.
The death toll from Friday’s strikes was unusually high and comes at a moment of intensified tensions in the region as the United States has threatened to strike Iran — a backer of both Hezbollah and Hamas — if negotiations over Tehran’s nuclear program fail to produce a deal.
During last year’s Israel-Iran war, Hezbollah remained on the sidelines, but many in Lebanon fear that the country will be pulled in should another war break out.

 


Iran and US diverge in views on sanctions relief, senior Iranian official to Reuters

Updated 30 min 48 sec ago
Follow

Iran and US diverge in views on sanctions relief, senior Iranian official to Reuters

  • Renewed talks ‌scheduled in early March ⁠and ⁠could possibly lead to an interim deal

DUBAI: Iran and the United States have differing views over the scope and ​mechanism to lift sanctions on Tehran in exchange for curbs on its nuclear program, a senior Iranian official told Reuters on Sunday, adding that new talks were planned in early ‌March. The official ‌said Tehran ​could ‌seriously ⁠consider ​a combination of ⁠exporting part of its highly enriched uranium (HEU) stockpile, diluting the purity of its HEU and a regional consortium for enriching uranium, but in return Iran’s ⁠right to “peacful nuclear enrichment” ‌must be ‌recognized.
“The negotiations continue and ​the possibility ‌of reaching an interim agreement exists,” ‌the official said. Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said on Friday that he expected to have a draft ‌counterproposal ready within days following nuclear talks with the ⁠United ⁠States this week, while US President Donald Trump said he was considering limited military strikes.
The senior official said Tehran will not hand over control of its oil and mineral resources but US companies can always participate as contractors in Iran’s oil ​and gas ​fields.