After US killing of chief, what’s next for Al-Qaeda in Yemen

The combo pix of Qassem Al-Rimi, a suspected chief of Al-Qaeda in Yemen. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 09 February 2020
Follow

After US killing of chief, what’s next for Al-Qaeda in Yemen

  • The US has waged a long-running drone war against the leaders of AQAP, which it considers Al-Qaeda’s most dangerous branch

DUBAI: The US killing of the leader of Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) in war-torn Yemen raises questions about the militant group’s operations and its future.
President Donald Trump said the US “conducted a counterterrorism operation” that eliminated Qassem Al-Rimi, according to a White House statement released on Thursday.
But what does this mean for AQAP and for Yemen, where a five-year war between the government — backed by a Saudi-led military coalition — and the Iran-aligned Houthi rebels has crippled the country?
Al-Rimi was named AQAP leader after his predecessor, Nasir Al-Wuhayshi, was killed in a US drone strike on Yemen in June 2015.
He was one of the group’s founders in 2009 and its first military commander.
“Al-Rimi’s death is significant,” said Gregory Johnsen, a nonresident fellow at the Sanaa Center think tank.
“However, he was not a good leader for AQAP and since he took over in 2015, the group’s international terrorist wing has atrophied badly.”
Johnsen said the two most likely candidates to succeed Al-Rimi were Khalid Batarfi, reportedly running the group’s external operations, and Saad bin Atef Al-Awlaki, the group’s leader in Yemen’s Shabwa province.
According to Peter Salisbury, an analyst at the International Crisis Group, a successor will most likely be announced soon.
But, he added, it will not be “someone with the name brand recognition Al-Rimi had, and certainly not of the stature of his predecessor, Al-Wuhayshi.”
AQAP, along with other militant groups, has flourished in the chaos of the war between the Yemeni government and the Houthi rebels.
But analysts say the group’s abilities on the ground have dwindled over the years.
“Al-Rimi’s skills as a military planner will be missed, but AQAP’s ability to operate on the ground in Yemen had already diminished greatly,” said Elisabeth Kendall, a researcher at the University of Oxford.

SPEEDREAD

AQAP, along with other militant groups, has flourished in the chaos of the war between the Yemeni government and the Iranian-backed Houthi militants.

“In operational terms, its activity peaked in 2017 with over 270 domestic attacks, albeit mostly small scale.”
Johnsen also said that AQAP’s ability on the ground has weakened over the past decade, describing it as “a shadow of its former self.”
AQAP has carried out operations against both the Houthis and government forces as well as sporadic attacks abroad, including on the offices of the French satirical publication Charlie Hebdo in 2015.
Andreas Krieg of King’s College London said Al-Rimi’s killing has a “PR value” for the US but will not affect AQAP’s ground operations.
The killing of Al-Rimi comes after AQAP claimed responsibility for a Dec. 6 shooting at the US Naval Air Station Pensacola in Florida, where an officer killed three American sailors.
“It is still unclear how much of a hand AQAP had in directing, as opposed to inspiring, the Pensacola shooting,” Johnsen said.
According to Johnsen, Al-Rimi’s killing “is one more blow” to attacks by the group overseas.
“Prior to the Pensacola attack, the last time AQAP claimed any credit for an overseas attack was in 2015,” he added.
The group’s focus has “shifted onto inspiring rather than directing attacks,” said Kendall.
Salisbury noted that AQAP has not executed a major overseas operation for the past decade.
“Attacks associated with the group have either come from legacy, former operatives or ‘lone wolf’ attacks by people inspired and sometimes in limited contact with the group over the Internet,” he said.
The US has waged a long-running drone war against the leaders of AQAP, which it considers Al-Qaeda’s most dangerous branch.
According to the White House, Al-Rimi’s killing “further degrades AQAP and the global Al-Qaeda movement.”
“It brings us closer to eliminating the threats these groups pose to our national security,” it said.


Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

  • The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint

JERUSALEM: Israeli police said Monday that they would deploy in force around the Al-Aqsa Mosque during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which begins this week, as Palestinian officials accused Israel of imposing restrictions at the compound.
Over the course of the month of fasting and prayer, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa — Islam’s third-holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed.
Arad Braverman, a senior Jerusalem police officer, said forces would be deployed “day and night” across the compound, known to Jews as the Temple Mount, and in the surrounding area.
He said thousands of police would also be on duty for Friday prayers, which draw the largest crowds of Muslim worshippers.
Braverman said police had recommended issuing 10,000 permits for Palestinians from the occupied West Bank, who require special permission to enter Jerusalem.
He did not say whether age limits would apply, adding that the final number of people would be decided by the government.
The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said in a separate statement it had been informed that permits would again be restricted to men over 55 and women over 50, mirroring last year’s criteria.
It said Israeli authorities had blocked the Islamic Waqf — the Jordanian?run body administering the site — from carrying out routine preparations, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.
A Waqf source confirmed the restrictions and said 33 of its employees had been barred from entering the compound in the week before Ramadan.
The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint.
Under long?standing arrangements, Jews may visit the compound — which they revere as the site of their second temple, destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD — but they are not permitted to pray there.
Israel says it is committed to maintaining this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.
Braverman reiterated Monday that no changes were planned.
In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far?right politician Itamar Ben-Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.