Date with destiny: Saudi Arabia’s first female pro fighter ready to make history on Paul vs. Fury undercard

1 / 2
First Saudi pro fighter Ragad Al-Naimi inside the ring. supplied.
2 / 2
First Saudi pro fighter Ragad Al-Naimi inside the ring. supplied.
Short Url
Updated 21 February 2023
Follow

Date with destiny: Saudi Arabia’s first female pro fighter ready to make history on Paul vs. Fury undercard

  • Ragad Al-Naimi makes debut in ‘The Truth’ this Sunday at the Diriyah Arena
  • ‘Being the first Saudi female to compete in an international boxing event gives me a lot of pride’ 

Riyadh: A new era in Saudi women’s boxing is set to begin on Sunday when a female fighter from the Kingdom makes the first professional debut on the undercard to the Jake Paul vs. Tommy Fury showdown.

Aside from the long-awaited fight where Paul and Fury will finally settle boxing’s biggest grudge match, Ragad Al-Naimi will face off against Perpetual Okaidah under the brights lights in Diriyah.

Ahead of her bout, Al-Naimi said that she is honored to represent her country on home soil and looks forward to competing in such a high-profile event.

Her story is sure to captivate, inspire and pave the way for future women fighters around the Kingdom.

“Being the first Saudi female to compete in an international boxing event gives me a lot of pride. I never thought that I would one day be able to perform on such a big international stage in my home country,” she added.

“Saudi Arabia is a young, vibrant country that supports and cherishes its youth, and I can’t wait to be a part of this by competing on the upcoming card on Feb. 26.”

“I’m confident I will win,” the 28-year-old added. “I’m fully invested in my training, I’ve always wanted to perform at the highest level and I’m determined to prove I can compete on international cards.”

After being introduced to the sport while studying overseas in the US, Al-Naimi’s passion for boxing compelled her to continue training upon her return to the Kingdom.

Although her start came much later than other boxers, Al-Naimi’s professional debut is certain to show emerging talent that anything is possible with the correct application and commitment.

“For me, boxing came by natural instinct,” she said. “Usually fighters start training at a very early age, whereas I began in my early 20s. The moment I started boxing, I knew I was good at this sport and my love for it has never waned.

“My first boxing classes began in early 2017 and by May 2018, I was able to participate in a charity fight. From there, things kept progressing to today, where the sport is developing in our country like never before,” Al-Naimi added.

Recent years have seen boxing play a pivotal part in Saudi Arabia’s ascension to one of the fastest-growing countries in world sport, inspired by major international events that have left a lasting legacy.

Perhaps the most significant was “Clash on the Dunes” in 2019, when Anthony Joshua avenged his shock defeat to Andy Ruiz Jr. and become a two-time world heavyweight champion in front of a capacity crowd inside Diriyah Arena.

Three years on from the epic encounter, the event is directly impacting boxing popularity to this day. Since then, a 300 percent increase in the number of male and female boxers registering with the Saudi Arabian Boxing Federation has been recorded, with the number of boxing gyms rising nationwide from seven to 59, and 53 registered clubs from other sports now having boxing divisions.

Al-Naimi harbors no doubt about what instigated the Kingdom’s newfound love for boxing, and she is especially pleased with the proactivity and productivity of the Ministry of Sport and Saudi Arabian Boxing Federation.

“The massive difference in participation was after ‘Clash on the Dunes’,” Al-Naimi said. “For both genders, interest in the sport has skyrocketed since then and record numbers are continuously competing in local competitions hosted in Riyadh and Jeddah.

“The strategic efforts by the Ministry of Sport and the Saudi Arabian Boxing Federation are really starting to show, not least with record numbers of men and women engaging with boxing.

“I’m very impressed by the amount of time and energy they are exerting to develop boxing, from hosting local tournaments, training judges and referees, and investing in all levels of boxing — from grassroots through to headline events.

“Their efforts have helped ensure the sport is developing like never before. Many new gyms have recently opened and many people are falling in love with boxing.”

Following her professional debut on Sunday, Al-Naimi will have an eye on the rest of the evening’s fights, including Paul vs. Fury, which promises to be an unmissable spectacle.

Commenting on the main event between the two undefeated adversaries, she offered her opinions on the matchup and who she believes could come out on top.

“It will be a very close fight,” she said. “Fury is a professional boxer and Paul has been outstanding so far. I’m excited to see who will grab the win. For me, I’m leaning more towards Paul, but we shall see.”

Jake Paul vs. Tommy Fury at Diriyah’s purpose-built arena is part of Diriyah Season’s second edition, which presents a series of world-class international sports and entertainment events from the birthplace of Saudi Arabia and UNESCO World Heritage site.


Al-Ahli survive first-half scare to cruise to victory and tie Al-Hilal at the top of Saudi Pro League

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Al-Ahli survive first-half scare to cruise to victory and tie Al-Hilal at the top of Saudi Pro League

  • Al-Ahli draw level with league leaders Al-Hilal on 53 points after trailing 1-0 down at half-time
  • Al-Ettifaq and Al-Fateh play out seven-goal thriller in Dammam

DAMMAM: Matchday 23 kicked began with what ultimately became a comfortable victory for Al-Ahli over relegation-battling Al-Najma at home. However, the hosts endured a tough first 45 minutes, falling 1-0 behind and missing a penalty before scoring four in the second half against the 10-man visitors.

Al-Najma — fresh off their first victory in Saudi Pro League history when they beat Al-Kholood last week — arrived in Jeddah with confidence. Despite facing an in-form Al-Ahli, they controlled the tempo early on, forcing the hosts play on the back foot for much of the opening half hour.

The architect of Al-Najma’s bright start was Néstor El Maestro, returning to the Saudi Pro League for the first time in five years. After guiding the club to their first win in 21 matches, a result in Al-Ahli’s backyard would have provided the perfect reignite their survival bid.

El Maestro once said, “Life is too short to spend defending in a low block”, during his time at relegation-battling Göztepe in the Turkish Süper Lig in 2022. That philosophy defined Al-Najma’s bold approach against the reigning Asian Champions League Elite and Saudi Super Cup holders.

Initially, the strategy paid off. Davd Tijanić beat two Al-Ahli defenders with a deft move on the left flank in the 27th minute before releasing Lázaro, who finished past Édouard Mendy to hand the visitors a surprise lead.

Al-Ahli immediately pushed for an equaliser. Ivan Toney was brought down in the box in the 29th minute, only for the referee to wave away penalty appeals. Moments later, a handball inside Al-Najma’s area led to a lengthy VAR review and eventually a spot-kick for the hosts.

Toney, seeking his 21st goal of the campaign and boasting a perfect record from the spot for Al-Ahli, saw his penalty saved by Victor Braga. He pounced on the rebound, but Braga recovered to claim the ball and preserve the lead.

Braga continued to frustrate the hosts with several key saves before clashing into an opponent on the verge of half-time. The referee initially awarded a second penalty to Al-Ahli, but after a VAR review overturned the decision, Al-Najma went into the break still in front.

Al-Ahli knew a victory was essential on a pivotal weekend, with city rivals Al-Ittihad facing Al-Hilal in a clash that could influence the title race. Their response after the interval was swift, with Riyad Mahrez delivering a dipping cross that was met by Valentin Atangana, who headed in the equaliser.

Atangana was fouled ten minutes later, when Felippe Cardoso pushed him in the face. The Brazilian striker, already booked, received his marching orders from the referee.

With a numerical advantage, Al-Ahli asserted control. Roger Ibañez picked out Mahrez with a measured long pass over the top. The Algerian cushioned a first-time lay-off into Toney’s path, and the English striker finished clinically in the 69th minute.

Toney added his second of the evening — and 22nd of the season — in the 87th minute, meeting Matheus Gonçalves’ cross at the far post with a first-time finish. The Englishman completed his hat-trick in the fourth minute of stoppage time after Al-Najma conceded their second penalty of the night.

The win moves Al-Ahli level on points with Al-Hilal on 53 points, awaiting their game later this week. Meanwhile, El Maestro’s task with Al-Najma grows more difficult, as Al-Riyadh’s 2-0 victory over Al-Kholood in Qassim leaves Al-Najma eight points adrift of safety.

Elsewhere, Al-Ettifaq and Al-Fateh produced one of the season’s most entertaining encounters in an Eastern Province derby. Al-Ettifaq raced into a 3-0 lead inside 36 minutes, with goals from Khalid Al-Ghannam and Georginio Wijnaldum putting them firmly in control.

North African duo Mourad Batna and Sofiane Bendebka dragged Al-Fateh back into the contest with goals on either side of stoppage time in the first half. Madallah Al-Olayan restored Al-Ettifaq’s cushion in 48th minute, but Batna struck again in the 71st minute to set up a tense finale.

After seven goals in a back-and-forth thriller, Al-Ettifaq held on for a 4-3 victory in Dammam.

Saudi Pro League action resumes on Friday, with Al-Okhdood hosting Al-Qadsiah, Al-Taawoun welcoming Al-Fayha and Al-Shabab travelling to Khamis Mushait to face Damac. All games kick off at 10:00pm in the league’s unified Ramadan schedule.