Three killed, 22 injured in suicide attack on convoy in northwest Pakistan — police

Pakistani army soldiers gather near a vehicle at a border terminal in Ghulam Khan, a town in North Waziristan, on the border between Pakistan and Afghanistan, on January 27, 2019. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 12 February 2023
Follow

Three killed, 22 injured in suicide attack on convoy in northwest Pakistan — police

  • The attack comes amid a surge in militant violence in Pakistan’s northwestern areas 
  • Last month, a suicide bomber killed over 80 people at a police compound in Peshawar 

ISLAMABAD: At least three people were killed and 22 others were injured in a suicide attack on a convoy of a petroleum company in northwest Pakistan, police said, amid a surge in militant violence in the region. 

The attacker, who was riding in an auto-rickshaw, targeted the convoy in Mir Ali area of North Waziristan district, the provincial police said in a statement. 

“The suicide attack was carried out on a vehicle of Mari petroleum company,” the statement read. 

“Seven FC (Frontier Constabulary) soldiers and 15 employees of the petroleum company were injured in the attack.” 

The police statement did not specify whether the deceased were paramilitary FC soldiers or petroleum company staffers. 

The Pakistani Taliban, or the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), in a statement claimed responsibility for the attack in North Waziristan. 

Pakistan’s northwestern and southwestern parts, which border Iran and Afghanistan, have seen an increase in militant attacks. 

Last month, a suicide bombing killed more than 80 people and injured over 200 others at a mosque inside a heavily fortified police compound in the northwestern city of Peshawar. 

The number of attacks against police and security forces increased particularly after the Pakistani Taliban called off a fragile, months-long truce with the government in November. The militant group, which maintains sanctuaries in neighboring Afghanistan, is separate from but a close ally of the Afghan Taliban. 

The group has waged an insurgency in Pakistan in the past 15 years, seeking stricter enforcement of Islamic laws, the release of its members in government custody and a reduction in the Pakistani military presence in areas of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province it has long used as its base. 


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”