UK urged to protect British-Iranian journalists threatened with death by Tehran

British MPs have meanwhile urged the government to designate the Revolutionary Guard as a terrorist organization. (Twitter/File)
Short Url
Updated 09 November 2022
Follow

UK urged to protect British-Iranian journalists threatened with death by Tehran

  • Media rights group CPJ says regime must be held accountable for intimidation of staff at London-based Iran International

LONDON: British authorities have been urged to strengthen the protection of staff at London-based Iran International after two of its journalists were threatened with death by the regime in Tehran.

The request by the Committee to Protect Journalists, a US-based media rights group, said the threats were the latest in a string of attempts by the regime to intimidate independent journalists beyond the country’s borders.

“Time and again Iranian authorities have acted with impunity in attempting to silence journalists around the world,” said Sherif Mansour, the CPJ’s Middle East and North Africa program coordinator.

“UK authorities must ensure the safety of Iran International’s staff and send a message that threats to journalists on its soil will not be tolerated. Until foreign governments hold Iran accountable, this trend will only worsen. Journalists will continue to face unacceptable threats to their safety.”

Iran International said it was informed by police of specific threats against two British-Iranian staff by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, the regime’s armed wing.

The independent Persian-language channel said that police believed the threats represented “an imminent and significant risk to their lives and those of their families.”

British MPs have meanwhile urged the government to designate the Revolutionary Guard as a terrorist organization.

“What more does IRGC have to do before we proscribe them in their entirety?" Conservative MP Bob Blackman said on Tuesday during a debate in the House of Commons.

Labour MP John Spellar said that the UK must follow its US allies in banning the armed wing, calling it  “the protectors of the Iranian clerical-fascist regime.”

According to CPJ, authorities have arrested 61 journalists in Iran since protests began in September.  It has documented the release on bail of only 13 of them.

Iran is experiencing the largest anti-government protests for decades, sparked by the death of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini at the hands of the country’s “morality police” for allegedly violating the country’s strict laws on headscarves.

According to rights group HRANA, more than 300 people have been killed in the protests.


Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

DUBAI: Earlier this week, Tucker Carlson flew to Israel to interview US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, according to media reports.

Carlson, who reportedly refused to leave Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion Airport complex, conducted the interview at the airport, after which he said he and his staff were detained and their passports were seized.

“Men who identified themselves as airport security took our passports, hauled our executive producer into a side room and then demanded to know what we spoke to Ambassador Huckabee about,” Carlson said in a statement to The New York Post.

However, Carlson’s claims have been contradicted by Huckabee and Israeli authorities.

Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor and Fox News host, said on social media platform X that “EVERYONE who comes in/out of Israel (every country for that matter) has passports checked & routinely asked security questions,” including himself, despite holding a diplomatic passport and visa.

The US Embassy in Israel also described the interaction as routine passport control procedures.

The Israel Airports Authority said in a statement that Carlson and his staff “were not detained, delayed, or interrogated.”

They were asked “a few routine questions, in accordance with standard procedures applied to many travelers,” and this conversation took place in a separate room within the VIP lounge to protect their privacy, the statement added.

“No unusual incident occurred, and the Israel Airports Authority firmly rejects any other claims.”

Carlson has faced criticism in recent years over his commentary on Israel, with critics accusing him of amplifying narratives that are hostile to Israel and, at times, antisemitic. He has also questioned Israel’s treatment of Christian communities in the region.

After Fox News canceled his show in April 2023, he launched his own program, “The Tucker Carlson Show” in 2024.

The show has featured controversial figures, including Darryl Cooper, who has made statements widely condemned as Holocaust denial, and white nationalist commentator Nick Fuentes.

In his interview with Fuentes, Carlson labeled Huckabee a “Christian Zionist.”

Carlson has also criticized Huckabee for not doing enough to protect Christian interests in the region. In one video, he said: “Why not go ahead and talk to Christians and find out their side of the story? Why aren’t American Christian leaders like Mike Huckabee or Ted Cruz, people who invoke the Christian Bible to justify what they’re doing, why haven’t they done this?”

Huckabee responded to the video on X, writing: “Instead of talking ABOUT me, why don’t you come talk TO me?  You seem to be generating a lot of heat about the Middle East. Why be afraid of the light?”

Carlson accepted the invitation, and their teams coordinated the interview, leading to his brief visit to Israel.