Snapchat+ offers new features for paid users

The new features include Custom Story Expiration, which will let subscribers set Snaps on their story to expire after one hour or up to one week. (Supplied)
Short Url
Updated 26 October 2022
Follow

Snapchat+ offers new features for paid users

  • Changes to story, sound and color functions
  • Rise in Saudi content creators, says local head

DUBAI: Snap Inc. has introduced over 12 features for its paid subscription service, Snapchat+.

After being tested in July, the service was rolled out to users around the world and has amassed over a million global subscribers.

“Globally, more than 1 million Snapchat users have signed up for Snapchat+ so far, and we’re encouraged by their continuous interest in the additional features and functionalities that Snapchat+ offers,” said Abdulla Alhammadi, regional business lead in Saudi Arabia at Snap Inc.

The new features include Custom Story Expiration, which will let subscribers set Snaps on their story to expire after one hour or up to one week, Custom Notification Sounds, which will allow users to set specific notification tones for different friends, and Custom Camera Color Borders for users to cast their chosen hue on screen as they capture content.

Snapchat+ will also feature three new exclusive Bitmoji backgrounds for the upcoming holiday season.

Alhammadi told Arab News: “In Saudi Arabia, we see a real understanding of Snapchat’s full value proposition, whether in communication, entertainment, commerce, or elsewhere. With a highly engaged audience, we are amongst the most popular platforms in the Kingdom, reaching over 90 percent of people aged 13 to 34. It is, therefore, truly exciting to roll out the new features of Snapchat+ in a unique market like Saudi Arabia.”

“These features will only help push the creative boundaries of Snapchatters and empower them to use the platform to create new experiences,” he added.

From December, Snap will also allow users to gift their friends a subscription from within the app.

“Snapchat+ is a perfect stocking stuffer for the budding digital creator or selfie-loving friend in your life,” Alhammadi said.

Users in Saudi Arabia can subscribe to Snapchat+ for SR16.99 ($4.52) a month, SR94.99 ($25.27) for six months, and SR172.99 ($46.02) for a year.


‘No Other Land’ director’s home, family attacked by Israeli soldiers in West Bank

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

‘No Other Land’ director’s home, family attacked by Israeli soldiers in West Bank

  • Hamdan Ballal’s brother held ‘round his neck,’ filmmaker says
  • Other relatives handcuffed, blindfolded, detained, reports say

DUBAI: Hamdan Ballal, one of the four directors of the Oscar-winning documentary “No Other Land,” said that his home was attacked by Israeli soldiers and that several members of his family were injured and detained, according to media reports.

Settler attacks on Masafer Yatta, a cluster of villages in the southern West Bank, had intensified, the filmmaker said.

Ballal said he called the police on Sunday to enforce a ruling that prohibited non-residents from entering the area around his home in the village of Susya, but was instead visited by soldiers and a local settler leader.

The director, who was not at home at the time, said the soldiers raided his property and attacked everyone inside, including his brother, Mohammed Ballal, who was held “round his neck,” which caused him to turn blue and left him struggling to breathe.

Several other family members, including two brothers, a nephew and a cousin, were stopped by soldiers while traveling from a nearby village. They were handcuffed, blindfolded and detained for three hours at an army base, before being released later the same night, Ballal said.

A spokesperson for the army said that “a number of Palestinians adjacent to the area of Susya” were detained for refusing to identify themselves to soldiers but emphasized that “IDF soldiers did not assault them and did not raid their home.”

Ballal said that he was attacked last year by the same Israeli settler who attacked his family on Sunday. He said he was released the following day with injuries to his head and stomach.

“Two weeks ago we managed to get a decision from the Israeli court that the area around my home is closed to non-residents, but the settlers break that order and still come with their flocks almost every day,” the filmmaker said in a statement.

The ruling “was supposed to make things a bit quieter for us,” but the “opposite has been true,” as settlers have “ramped up their harassment and the Israeli authorities have done nothing to enforce the decision and today they joined the settlers in the attack,” he said.

In recent days, Israel has introduced a set of measures aimed at deepening its control over the West Bank.

On Sunday, the government approved a plan that allows Israelis to register land in the West Bank for the first time since the registration process was frozen following the 1967 war, when Israel captured the territory from Jordan.

The move has been widely condemned by humanitarian and advocacy groups.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called on Israel to reverse its decision, which he said could “lead to the dispossession of Palestinians of their property and risks expanding unlawful Israeli control over land in the area.”

In a joint statement on Tuesday, more than 80 UN member states said they strongly condemned “unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel’s unlawful presence in the West Bank.”

“Such decisions are contrary to Israel’s obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed,” it said.

Legal advocacy group Adalah said it had sent an urgent letter to Israeli ministers demanding the “immediate cancellation” of the land registry decision.

Adalah’s legal director Dr. Suhad Bishara said that Israel’s decision “deepens the gravest violations of international law, including the continued commission of war crimes (settlements), crimes against humanity (apartheid) and the crime of aggression (de facto and de jure annexation).”