Palestinian contributor to Oscar-winning ‘No Other Land’ killed in West Bank settler raid

Hathaleen was a frequent contributor to the Israeli magazine +972 and was known for his activism against settler violence and land seizures. (X/File)
Short Url
Updated 29 July 2025
Follow

Palestinian contributor to Oscar-winning ‘No Other Land’ killed in West Bank settler raid

  • Activist, teacher and journalist Awdah Hathaleen died in hospital shortly after being shot by Israeli far-right extremist
  • ‘This is how Israel erases us — one life at a time’: Film co-director Basel Adra

LONDON: Awdah Hathaleen, a Palestinian teacher, activist and journalist who contributed to the Oscar-winning documentary “No Other Land,” was shot and killed on Monday during a raid by Israeli settlers in the South Hebron Hills, according to local media reports.

The 31-year-old was fatally wounded during clashes in the village of Umm Al-Khair, where a group of Palestinians had reportedly been confronting settlers. Israeli media identified one of the settlers as Yinon Levi, a far-right extremist who had previously been sanctioned by the Biden administration — measures later lifted under US President Donald Trump — though he remains blacklisted by Canada, the UK, and the EU.

Witnesses and reports say Levi allegedly opened fire toward a group of Palestinians near the Carmel settlement, hitting Hathaleen in the upper body. He was rushed to Soroka Medical Center in Beersheba, where he died hours later.

Two other Palestinians were reportedly injured. Emergency responders from the Palestinian Red Crescent and Israel’s Magen David Adom were dispatched to the scene.

Israeli police said an Israeli citizen involved in the shooting had been arrested and the incident was under investigation. However, some reports suggested Levi was questioned but not charged. Four Palestinians and two foreign tourists were also detained by Israeli forces, according to a police statement.

Footage circulating online appears to show Levi brandishing a handgun and firing into the air, with a bulldozer in the background. Another video shows Palestinians attempting to block the bulldozer, disputing early claims that Levi was engaged in authorized construction. Activists say the machinery had crossed into privately owned Palestinian land.

Hathaleen was a frequent contributor to the Israeli magazine +972 and was known for his activism against settler violence and land seizures. He had recently been invited to the US for an interfaith speaking tour organized by the Kehilla Community Synagogue, but was detained and deported along with his cousin Eid upon arrival at San Francisco International Airport, despite holding valid visas.

“Just last month, I joined my Bay Area colleagues in demanding answers after Awdah and his cousin, both holding valid visas, were unjustly detained and deported from SFO,” said US Congresswoman Lateefah Simon in a statement. “The settler who killed Awdah must be held accountable. We cannot and will not support violence. No one should live under the threat of demolition, displacement or death.”

Tributes poured in following news of his death. “Awdah stood with dignity and courage against oppression,” said Hebron-based activist Issa Amro. “His loss is a deep wound to our hearts and our struggle for justice.”

“No Other Land” co-director, lawyer and journalist Basel Adra, said he “could hardly believe” the news. “My dear friend Awdah was slaughtered this evening. This is how Israel erases us — one life at a time.”

The film “No Other Land,” which documents Palestinian displacement in the occupied West Bank, won the Best Documentary award at this year’s Berlinale and later received an Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature.

About three million Palestinians live in the West Bank alongside nearly half a million Israelis living in settlements, which are considered illegal under international law.

At least 962 Palestinians, including many fighters but also many civilians, have been killed by Israeli soldiers or settlers in the West Bank since the start of the Gaza war in October 2023.

At least 36 Israelis, including civilians and soldiers, have been killed there in Palestinian attacks or during Israeli military operations, according to official Israeli data.


Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

DUBAI: Earlier this week, Tucker Carlson flew to Israel to interview US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, according to media reports.

Carlson, who reportedly refused to leave Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion Airport complex, conducted the interview at the airport, after which he said he and his staff were detained and their passports were seized.

“Men who identified themselves as airport security took our passports, hauled our executive producer into a side room and then demanded to know what we spoke to Ambassador Huckabee about,” Carlson said in a statement to The New York Post.

However, Carlson’s claims have been contradicted by Huckabee and Israeli authorities.

Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor and Fox News host, said on social media platform X that “EVERYONE who comes in/out of Israel (every country for that matter) has passports checked & routinely asked security questions,” including himself, despite holding a diplomatic passport and visa.

The US Embassy in Israel also described the interaction as routine passport control procedures.

The Israel Airports Authority said in a statement that Carlson and his staff “were not detained, delayed, or interrogated.”

They were asked “a few routine questions, in accordance with standard procedures applied to many travelers,” and this conversation took place in a separate room within the VIP lounge to protect their privacy, the statement added.

“No unusual incident occurred, and the Israel Airports Authority firmly rejects any other claims.”

Carlson has faced criticism in recent years over his commentary on Israel, with critics accusing him of amplifying narratives that are hostile to Israel and, at times, antisemitic. He has also questioned Israel’s treatment of Christian communities in the region.

After Fox News canceled his show in April 2023, he launched his own program, “The Tucker Carlson Show” in 2024.

The show has featured controversial figures, including Darryl Cooper, who has made statements widely condemned as Holocaust denial, and white nationalist commentator Nick Fuentes.

In his interview with Fuentes, Carlson labeled Huckabee a “Christian Zionist.”

Carlson has also criticized Huckabee for not doing enough to protect Christian interests in the region. In one video, he said: “Why not go ahead and talk to Christians and find out their side of the story? Why aren’t American Christian leaders like Mike Huckabee or Ted Cruz, people who invoke the Christian Bible to justify what they’re doing, why haven’t they done this?”

Huckabee responded to the video on X, writing: “Instead of talking ABOUT me, why don’t you come talk TO me?  You seem to be generating a lot of heat about the Middle East. Why be afraid of the light?”

Carlson accepted the invitation, and their teams coordinated the interview, leading to his brief visit to Israel.