Frankfurt charged with ‘racist behavior’ after trouble in Champions League game

Eintracht Frankfurt supporters waving a huge flag gather in the stands during their UEFA Champions League match against Olympique Marseille at Stade Velodrome in Marseille, on Tuesday. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 14 September 2022
Follow

Frankfurt charged with ‘racist behavior’ after trouble in Champions League game

  • Some visiting fans "performed Nazi salutes in the away section" during the game
  • Frankfurt were also charged for the "throwing of objects" by their supporters

PARIS: Eintracht Frankfurt have been charged with several offenses including “racist behavior” by UEFA after the German club’s Champions League win away to Marseille on Tuesday was marred by incidents.
The charges come after Marseille’s police prefecture said it had informed UEFA that some visiting fans “performed Nazi salutes in the away section” during the game.
Frankfurt were also charged for the “throwing of objects” by their supporters, who were accused of setting off fireworks as well as other “acts of damage” around the game at Marseille’s Velodrome stadium.
The home side were charged with a series of similar offenses including crowd disturbances as the French club lost the Group D encounter 1-0.
“Disciplinary proceedings have been instigated in accordance with Article 55 of the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations,” a UEFA statement said.
“The UEFA disciplinary bodies will decide on the matter in due course.”
One German supporter was injured and 17 people were arrested on the sidelines of the game, according to authorities in the Bouches-du-Rhone department of southern France which includes Marseille.
Around one thousand police officers had been mobilized for the game which came just five days after a Europa Conference League match between Nice and German side Cologne was marred by trouble which left four people hospitalized.
During Tuesday’s match, one German supporter was hurt by a flare thrown from the stands and taken to hospital, police said.


Silva scores late equalizer as Dortmund grab 2-2 draw at Leipzig

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Silva scores late equalizer as Dortmund grab 2-2 draw at Leipzig

  • Silva then seized ⁠his moment with a left footed shot five minutes into extra time
  • Dortmund remained unbeaten in their last eight away games

LEIPZIG, Germany: Fabio Silva grabbed a stoppage time equalizer as Borussia Dortmund drew 2-2 at RB Leipzig to trim Bayern Munich’s Bundesliga lead to eight points on Saturday.
Second placed Dortmund had been heading for defeat after Christoph Baumgartner scored twice from close range in the first half.
The visitors came back after the break and their hopes were revived by a Romulo own goal five minutes into the half but they were still staring at defeat as the clock ticked into an added seven ⁠minutes.
Silva then seized ⁠his moment with a left footed shot five minutes into extra time.
Dortmund remained unbeaten in their last eight away games but their six match winning run came to an end at the Red Bull Arena.
Max Beir had looked like putting them ahead ⁠when he broke clear and went one-on-one on goal for Dortmund after eight minutes, but his shot was straight at goalkeeper Maarten Vandevoordt, and then Leipzig took control.
Baumgartner made the breakthrough in the 20th minute when Yan Diomande, in sparkling form, sent a low cross into the box for him to glance in right-footed with his back to the net.
The goal was given after an offside check.
Baumgartner took his ⁠10th goal ⁠of the season and doubled his tally in the 39th with a perfectly timed run to tap in a cross from David Raum as the hosts ripped Dortmund apart down the left.
Leipzig, with just one win from their last six outings, stayed fifth in the standings, one point behind VfB Stuttgart who have a game in hand.
Harry Kane struck his eighth brace of the season as Bayern beat Eintracht Frankfurt 3-2 in an earlier kickoff. Dortmund host Bayern next week.