Victorious Saudi coach turns focus to 2024 Paris Olympics

Saad Al-Shehri (center) is targetting the 2024 Paris Olympics after guiding Saudi Arabis to the 2022 AFC U-23 Asian Cup. (SAFF)
Short Url
Updated 20 June 2022
Follow

Victorious Saudi coach turns focus to 2024 Paris Olympics

  • Saad Al-Shehri guided Saudi Arabia to their first ever AFC U-23 Asian Cup title after beating hosts Uzbekistan 2-0 on Sunday night

Saudi Arabia coach Saad Al-Shehri has attributed his team’s crowning as the new champions of the 2022 AFC U-23 Asian Cup to what he described as “cumulative work,” adding that his focus has now turned to qualification for the 2024 Olympics in Paris.

The Young Falcons won their first Asian title in this age category after beating hosts Uzbekistan 2-0 on Sunday night in Tashkent.

“A thousand congratulations to all, and a thousand congratulations to our leaders, our people, the players, the administrative and technical bodies and the players for the achievement that has been achieved,” the victorious coach told Arabic sports daily Arriyadiyah.

“We have won an important tournament for the first time in Saudi history, and we have become champions of Asia at all levels, and this is important for us,” said Al-Shehri. “The feat is due to cumulative work, and was achieved with the same players that won (the AFC U-19 Championship) in 2018, with a few additions.”

He added: “The main target now is qualification to the Paris Olympics."

On the final itself, Al-Shehri said: “The match was difficult, and the style of the Uzbekistan team exhausted us in some parts of the match, but we succeeded in scoring the first goal and securing the result with the second.

“I have spent a beautiful period with this generation of players, and the focus will be on preparing them for the upcoming tournaments, and I wish everyone success.”


Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup 2027 dates confirmed

Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup 2027 dates confirmed

  • After a record-breaking tournament in January, the competition returns next year from Jan. 8-10

ABU DHABI: The Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup will return in 2027 following another record-breaking edition last month, and the registration window is now open.

From Jan. 8 to 10, 2027, teams from across the world will be able to compete in the eighth edition of the region’s Tournament of Choice.

The competition’s three-day format returns after a successful expansion this year that had more than 8,000 people attend Zayed Sports City across a weekend that featured 3,500 local, regional and international players.

In total, 244 teams from the under-8 to under-16 categories competed in the 2026 edition, with 86 international sides, spanning 18 countries, four continents, and a record-breaking 44 girl teams.

Off the pitch, players and spectators were able to enjoy the City Village that played host to entertainment and activations supported by the club’s partners.

This included the e& Gaming Zone, Puma pop-up and Aldar’s showcase of Fahid Island, as well as performances from a DJ and visits from special guests, including tournament ambassador and Manchester City legend Nedum Onuoha, and event host FG.

Teams will compete for the Abu Dhabi Cup, and individual age-group winners will go into a prize draw for their team to win a trip to a City Football Group club, where they will train and watch the first team in action.

Simon Hewitt, tournament director, and director of Football Operations MENA, said the 2026 edition was a “landmark event.”

“It was the first time we had expanded the tournament to three days, and the reaction to that decision was incredible. Players were able to spend more time on the pitch, take in the incredible atmosphere of the City Village, and enjoy the sights and attractions of Abu Dhabi.

“We might only be a month removed from that tournament, but the hard work in preparing for 2027 starts now. Already, teams are asking when they can register, and we expect huge competition for places from all over the world.”