Pakistan’s opposition says will not make a deal with PM as reports of agreement circulate

Pakistan's opposition parties leaders speak with journalists during a press conference in Islamabad on March 28, 2022. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 31 March 2022
Follow

Pakistan’s opposition says will not make a deal with PM as reports of agreement circulate

  • Joint opposition lawmakers hold meeting at PML-N leader Shehbaz Sharif’s residence
  • PM Khan lost his biggest ally in parliament on Wednesday ahead of voting on no-confidence motion

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s opposition parties said on Thursday they would not make a deal with Prime Minister Imran Khan and would oust him via a no-confidence vote, as reports emerged in the media that the government and opposition had reached a compromise. 

The opposition statement was a response to local media reports that the prime minister had asked the opposition to withdraw a no-confidence motion tabled on Monday in exchange for him dissolving the assemblies and calling early elections.

A debate on a no-confidence motion tabled earlier this week by the opposition against PM Khan was adjourned until Sunday. 

“The meeting reiterated its decision to bring the no-confidence motion to a logical conclusion in accordance with the stipulated time frame through the constitution, law and parliamentary democratic process," the joint opposition said in a statement after a meeting of opposition lawmakers was held at Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) leader Shehbaz Sharif’s residence.

“[The meeting] made it clear that the opposition would not give any NRO to Imran [Khan] Niazi,” it said. In the Pakistani political lexicon, the term ‘NRO’ refers to reaching a compromise with another party in exchange for a favor. 

“In this regard, misleading news from the media cannot change the joint opposition’s decision,” read the statement. “Through a no-confidence motion, the joint opposition will establish new democratic and constitutional traditions in the country and abandon the undemocratic behaviors of the past forever.” 

The joint opposition expressed satisfaction at the 172 lawmakers who attended the meeting. In the 342-member National Assembly, the joint opposition needs a simple majority, 172 votes, to oust the prime minister.

 

 

The no-trust move comes as Pakistan faces an enduring economic crisis, amid cries by the opposition that Khan has mismanaged the economy and governed poorly. 

The speaker of the National Assembly has to carry out the vote no sooner than three days and no later than seven days after the motion is tabled. The motion was tabled on Monday.  

Hence, the latest a vote can take place is next Monday. 


Pakistan increases Reko Diq investment to $244 million as Barrick reviews project

Updated 19 February 2026
Follow

Pakistan increases Reko Diq investment to $244 million as Barrick reviews project

  • State-owned PPL injects $50.2 million more in special purpose vehicle formed to manage Islamabad’s 25 percent stake in copper-gold mine
  • Canadian operator Barrick Mining Corporation this month ordered project’s review following deadly separatist attacks in Balochistan province

KARACHI: The state-run Pakistan Petroleum Limited (PPL) has invested an additional Rs14 billion ($50.2 million) equity in the multi-billion-dollar Reko Diq copper-gold mine, the company said in its latest financial report on Thursday, as the project’s Canadian operator reviews the project following recently deadly attacks. 

Canada’s Barrick Mining Corporation owns a 50 percent share in Reko Diq in the southwestern Balochistan province, along with three Pakistani federal state-owned enterprises including PPL that own 25 percent, while the Balochistan government has the remaining 25 percent share in the project.

The Canadian company announced earlier this month it planned to “immediately” begin a comprehensive review of all aspects of the Reko Diq project following coordinated attacks in Balochistan on Jan. 30-31 that killed 36 civilians and 22 security forces personnel. 

“With respect to the Reko Diq project, the company has made further equity investment in Pakistan Minerals Private Limited (PMPL) during the period amounting to Rs14,025 million ($50.2m),” PPL told its shareholders in its financial statement for the half year ending at Dec. 31.

The additional equity has increased PPL’s total cost of investment in the PMPL to Rs68.1 billion ($243.6 million), it added. 

The PMPL is a special purpose vehicle formed to manage the federal government’s 25 percent stake in the Reko Diq project. It is a consortium of three state-owned enterprises (SOEs) namely the PPL, the Oil & Gas Development Company Limited (OGDCL) and Government Holdings (Private) Limited (GHPL) which is responsible for handling financing, equity contributions and strategic, legal or technical dealings with partners like Barrick.

“The project continued to advance site works during the period (July-December FY26),” the PPL said. “The operator (Barrick) is undertaking a review of all aspects of the project, including with respect to the project’s security arrangements, development timetable and capital budget.” 

This week, Balochistan Chief Minister Sarfraz Bugti assured investors that Pakistan has the “capacity and capability” to secure the Reko Diq project amid surging militancy. 

The PPL explores, drills, and produces oil and natural gas. Its current portfolio, together with its subsidiaries and associates, consists of 47 exploratory blocks that include one offshore Block-5 in Abu Dhabi and one onshore block in Yemen.

In December, PPL signed a strategic Deed of Assignment under which it assigned 25 percent of its participating interest (PI) and operatorship of Eastern Offshore Indus C block to Turkish Petroleum Overseas Company, a unit of state-owned Türkiye Petrolleri Anonim Ortaklığı.

Assigning 20 percent PI each to OGDCL and Mari Energies Limited, the company has retained the remaining 35 percent PI to play a key role in the block’s development.