Aramco Team Series — New York launches Driving Force to support equality within golf

The Driving Force initiative is aiming to promote diversity in golf. (Golf Saudi)
Short Url
Updated 12 October 2021
Follow

Aramco Team Series — New York launches Driving Force to support equality within golf

  • Three-day team and individual tournament takes place at Glen Oaks Club, Long Island, from Oct. 14-16

NEW YORK: The Aramco Team Series — New York has launched the Driving Force presented by Aramco, an initiative aimed at helping further open golf to people of all backgrounds and make the sport more inclusive.

Backed by some of the biggest names in modern golf, the initiative seeks to create a culture within global golf that promotes involvement from people of all backgrounds.

The Aramco Team Series — New York will take place at Glen Oaks Club, Long Island, from Oct. 14-16.

Organizers will pair up NYC street golf icon Tiger Hood with big-hitting long drive competitor Troy Mullins and the Girls on the Green Tee charity, which aims to introduce young women to the game, and provide leadership and character development.

Aramco Team Series director Tom Hogg said that it is hoped the initiative will help to develop golf around the world “in a way that makes it more accessible and open to all.”

He added: “That is something that can only be of major benefit to the sport.”

“All four Aramco Team Series events are designed to inspire and attract more women, girls, men and boys into the sport we all love,” he said.

“That invite is open to all, and if there are any obstacles that stand in the way, we as a tournament, and Aramco and Golf Saudi as our backers, will look to take the steps available to help overcome them for the greater good of golf and all those excited by the sport.

“We’ll do this in New York by throwing our weight behind the Girls on the Green Tee charity with the support of Tiger Hood, who has created a form of street golf never seen anywhere before, and Troy Mullins, who through her long-driving alone has become a modern golf icon,” Hogg said.

The Aramco Team Series is a new concept and the first team event series on any professional tour, where the world’s best compete in concurrent team and individual contests.

The New York event is the third leg of the four-tournament Series and heads to the US following successful events in London and Sotogrande in Spain, where American Alison Lee secured her maiden professional victory with a win in the individual format.

The $1 million Aramco-backed event sees teams of four battle it out for a share of an $800,000 prize fund, with a $200,000 purse for the leading individual scores over the weekend. As a full LET event, each tournament also carries points toward the world ranking and the Race to Costa del Sol, LET’s season-long competition to crown Europe’s leading female golfer.

Ahmed Al-Subaey, vice president of marketing, sales and supply planning at Aramco, said: “The Aramco Team Series is all about doing things differently, taking a fresh approach to golf, how it’s played and enjoyed from the top level down. The Driving Force presented by Aramco initiative is a product of that philosophy, which aims to make golf more accessible for everyone. We hope to introduce more young people to the game and make it easier than ever to get a club in your hand, no matter your background or where you’re from.”


Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup 2027 dates confirmed

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup 2027 dates confirmed

  • After a record-breaking tournament in January, the competition returns next year from Jan. 8-10

ABU DHABI: The Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup will return in 2027 following another record-breaking edition last month, and the registration window is now open.

From Jan. 8 to 10, 2027, teams from across the world will be able to compete in the eighth edition of the region’s Tournament of Choice.

The competition’s three-day format returns after a successful expansion this year that had more than 8,000 people attend Zayed Sports City across a weekend that featured 3,500 local, regional and international players.

In total, 244 teams from the under-8 to under-16 categories competed in the 2026 edition, with 86 international sides, spanning 18 countries, four continents, and a record-breaking 44 girl teams.

Off the pitch, players and spectators were able to enjoy the City Village that played host to entertainment and activations supported by the club’s partners.

This included the e& Gaming Zone, Puma pop-up and Aldar’s showcase of Fahid Island, as well as performances from a DJ and visits from special guests, including tournament ambassador and Manchester City legend Nedum Onuoha, and event host FG.

Teams will compete for the Abu Dhabi Cup, and individual age-group winners will go into a prize draw for their team to win a trip to a City Football Group club, where they will train and watch the first team in action.

Simon Hewitt, tournament director, and director of Football Operations MENA, said the 2026 edition was a “landmark event.”

“It was the first time we had expanded the tournament to three days, and the reaction to that decision was incredible. Players were able to spend more time on the pitch, take in the incredible atmosphere of the City Village, and enjoy the sights and attractions of Abu Dhabi.

“We might only be a month removed from that tournament, but the hard work in preparing for 2027 starts now. Already, teams are asking when they can register, and we expect huge competition for places from all over the world.”