Lebanon faces ‘more chaos’ with no government

Cars come from every direction as they try to fill their tanks with gasoline at petrol station located outside Beirut in the coastal town of Jiyeh. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 07 September 2021
Follow

Lebanon faces ‘more chaos’ with no government

  • Continuing political uncertainty amid worsening social and economic crisis

BEIRUT: Lebanon is heading toward more “chaos and poverty” if a government is not formed within the next few hours, a lawmaker has warned, with the end of this week marking 13 months since the resignation of Prime Minister Hassan Diab’s administration.

Diab stepped down in the wake of the Aug. 4 port blast that devastated the capital, but he has stayed on in a caretaker capacity.
Three prime ministers have been designated to form a government. None have succeeded including, so far, the most recent appointee Najib Mikati.
The political uncertainty takes place amid a worsening social and economic crisis, and with a substantial proportion of the population unable to provide for themselves. Calls and mediation from within Lebanon and abroad show no solution for the complications involved in assembling a government.
President Michel Aoun’s term ends in October next year, while parliament’s term ends next May.
Vice president of the Future Movement, Mustafa Alloush, told Arab News: “Unless a government is formed in the next hours, Lebanon is heading toward more chaos and poverty. There will be no parliamentary elections or state, only (the) drawing of new sectarian maps that are independent of each other.”
He noted that attempts to form a government had been ongoing for more than a year and were going toward a government that was independent of political powers. He added, however: “Today we have resorted again to forming a government of the same kind of governments that destroyed all the experience of executive power.”

HIGHLIGHTS

• Attempts to form a government had been ongoing for more than a year.

• President’s term ends next October, parliament’s term ends next May.

On whether the president would seek to remain in power after the end of his term as he did in the 1980s, Alloush said: “Aoun will not repeat his experience of fleeing from the presidential palace. He is concerned with passing on politics to Gebran Bassil, his son-in-law, and giving him a clear share in the next formulation of authority. He is now waiting for his international and regional supporters. If they give him guarantees to achieve that, a government will be formed within hours.”
Addressing his supporters on Sunday evening, head of the Lebanese Forces party Samir Geagea lobbied for presidential elections and reiterated his party’s demand for early parliamentary elections. Lebanese media recently shed light again on a legal study from Judge Peter Germanos. He is close to the Free Patriotic Movement, which was founded by Aoun and is led by Bassil.
The study said it was “necessary” for the president to stay after his term had ended if the government was a caretaker government, in the event of being unable to elect a new president.
A government that had resigned could not be given the president’s jurisdiction and a presidential vacuum went against the principle of public service, leading to a vacuum in procedural authority, he wrote.
He said the president whose term had ended must stay in order to facilitate daily work until a new president was elected, his term was renewed, or a new government, backed by parliament, was formed.
Several lawmakers warned of the dangers the Germanos study posed to the work of institutions because it legislated “any president to deliberately obstruct the formation of the government in order to stay in position, which brings Lebanon back to pre-Taif Accord days and is unacceptable nationally.”
Geagea, who fought the Elimination War with Aoun in the 1980s, described the president on Sunday as “the era of total collapse run by a ruling clique with Hezbollah and the FPM at its core, that waived the state’s authority and sovereignty, paralyzed its establishments, and turned it into a failed state that is run by corrupt failed people, thieves, traitors and criminals.”
He regretted that “electing Aoun as president, which the LF participated in, had catastrophic consequences on the Lebanese people, especially Christians.”
Geagea considered Hezbollah, Aoun’s ally, as “primarily responsible for Lebanon’s destructive economic crisis, after it (Hezbollah) severed Lebanon’s relations with its Arab surroundings and involved it in pointless regional disputes.”
He said: “As we call for early parliamentary elections, we also call for early presidential elections. We denounce the submissive president who bargains with fundamentals, and also reject the powerful president who chooses his interests and the interests of his followers at the expense of the state and all the Lebanese people.”
Geagea warned that postponing or canceling the next parliamentary elections would spark a “different form of revolution” and stressed that the elections aimed to “rewrite the balance of power in the parliament, from which presidencies, governments and policies emerge.”
FPM MP Salim Aoun expressed his “optimism” in the possibility of a government being formed in 48 hours.
He said: “The president facilitated everything, even the blocking third, and no one, internally or externally, wants the non-formation of the government.”


Epstein tried to build web of powerful ties across Middle East, documents show

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

Epstein tried to build web of powerful ties across Middle East, documents show

DUBAI: The departure of the chief executive of Dubai port giant DP World is the biggest fallout in the Middle East from US Department of Justice documents which show that disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein tried to build a powerful network of political figures and business leaders across the region.
DP World announced on Friday that Sultan Ahmed Bin Sulayem had resigned as chief executive and chair.
The decision to act was taken after Bin ​Sulayem’s name appeared in the Epstein files, two sources with direct knowledge of the matter told Reuters, and as his relationship with the late convicted sex offender faced increasing scrutiny.
In their correspondence, Bin Sulayem discussed sexual relationships with women with whom Epstein helped him connect.
In an email dated November 9, 2007, Bin Sulayem told Epstein he had met one such woman in New York, whom he does not name and with whom he said he did not have sex.
“Yes after several attempts for several months we managed to meet in NY,” he wrote, adding that there was a misunderstanding because “she wanted some BUSINESS! while i only wanted some PUSSYNESS!“
Dubai’s ruler on Friday also issued a decree appointing a new chairman for Dubai’s Ports, Customs and Free Zone Corporation, one of several roles Bin Sulayem held.
Reuters was able to independently review only some of the Epstein files relating to Bin Sulayem and was unable to ascertain what specifically led to his departure from DP World although the sources said, without providing further details, that it was related to the files.
Bin Sulayem did not respond to Reuters requests for comment on his departure. DP World declined to comment.
COOKING TOGETHER
In one email exchange, Epstein described Bin Sulayem as funny, trustworthy and a foodie. Epstein went on to ‌say that Bin Sulayem, a ‌Muslim, does not drink and prays five times a day.
An undated photograph that appears in an email and is publicly available shows ​Epstein ‌cooking with ⁠Bin Sulayem ​and the ⁠two of them looking relaxed together.
The full name of the person it was sent to by Epstein is not provided.
Bin Sulayem has not publicly commented on Epstein’s description or the emails about his relationship with him.
Being named in the file is not evidence of criminal activity. But after members of the US Congress said Bin Sulayem’s name appeared in files released by the US Department of Justice (DOJ), he faced renewed questions from some of DP World’s financial backers over his past interactions.
Bin Sulayem did not respond publicly to those concerns. The UK development finance agency, British International Investment, and Canada’s second-largest pension fund said last week they would suspend all new investment with DP World over Bin Sulayem’s alleged ties to Epstein.
“We are shocked by the allegations emerging in the Epstein
Files regarding Sultan Ahmed Bin Sulayem,” said a spokesperson for BII, without saying which allegations he was referring to. “In light of the allegations, we will not be making any new investments with DP World until the required actions have been taken by the company.”
Canadian pension fund La Caisse said it was “pausing additional capital deployment alongside the company” until DP World ⁠clarified the situation and took “the necessary actions.”
In a statement after Friday’s leadership changes at DP World, BII welcomed DP World’s decision and said it ‌looked forward to continuing “our partnership to advance the development of key African trading ports.” La Caisse said “the company took the appropriate measures” and that ‌it would “move quickly to work with DP World’s new leadership to continue our partnership on port projects around the world.”
Bin Sulayem ​did not immediately respond when asked by Reuters to comment on the actions taken by BII and ‌La Caisse. DP World declined comment.
NETWORK OF CONTACTS
The large cache of documents released by the DOJ, including text messages and emails, also shows the Middle East was no exception to Epstein’s efforts to use ‌his wealth to build relationships with prominent people in politics, finance, academia and business around the world.
Reuters was unable to ascertain how successful Epstein was in seeking to influence his contacts in the Middle East, and whether his advice was heeded. The DOJ documents reviewed by Reuters show Epstein tried to advise Qatari business leaders and political figures during the 2017-21 blockade of Qatar by Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt over accusations that Doha failed to curb ties with Iran and supported terrorism, which Qatar denied.
In exchanges with a Qatari businessman and ruling family member Sheikh Jabor Yousuf Jassim Al Thani, Epstein urged Qatar to “stop kicking and arguing...let the heat come down a bit.” He said “the current ‌Qatar team is very weak” and “FM is not experienced and it shows.”
Qatar’s foreign minister at the time was Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani, who now serves as both foreign minister and prime minister. Sheikh Mohammed has not commented publicly on Epstein’s portrayal of him. Asked about the ⁠exchange, Qatar’s International Media Office, which handles media requests for ⁠the prime minister, declined to comment.
There was no response to a Reuters request for comment emailed to three companies in Qatar that Sheikh Jabor is listed as chairman of, or to a text message sent to an individual who, according to the files released by the DOJ, works in Sheikh Jabor’s office. Epstein urged Doha to forge links with Israel to stay in the good graces of Donald Trump, who was then in his first term as US president. He suggested the Gulf state either move toward recognizing Israel or pledge $1 billion to a fund for terrorism victims. Ultimately, Qatar stuck to its independent course. In 2021, the blockading countries restored ties with Doha, and ties between the Trump administration and Qatar are now strong.
DISCUSSION OF SAUDI ARAMCO IPO
Epstein discussed Saudi Aramco’s initial public offering in dozens of email exchanges. In one exchange dated September 10, 2016, with a person named as Aziza Alahmadi, and with former Norwegian diplomat Terje Roed-Larson copied in, Epstein warned that Aramco going public could expose Saudi Arabia to lawsuits and asset seizures. Saudi Aramco declined to comment on these emails.
Alahmadi could not be reached for comment and Reuters was unable to establish her role, if any, in Epstein’s activities.
In an email dated October 16, 2017, and also sent to Alahmadi, Epstein suggested selling China an option to buy a $100-billion stake in Aramco rather than pursuing a traditional IPO, saying it would provide liquidity while limiting exposure to public markets.
Saudi Aramco declined to comment to Reuters on the emails. Roed-Larsen did not immediately respond to a request for comment sent by email via his lawyer.
Epstein’s reach also extended to Egypt, the documents released by the DOJ show. Some emails show a request from ​a family member of Hosni Mubarak — the wife of his son Gamal Mubarak — that was passed on ​to Epstein asking for help in 2011, following the former president’s ouster and subsequent legal troubles. They did not say what kind of assistance was sought and Reuters was unable to establish whether Epstein had tried to intercede on the family’s behalf. Reuters emailed a request for comment to one lawyer and sent a text message to another, both of whom represented Gamal Mubarak. There was no immediate response.