Young British royals say ‘We love you, Papa’ in Father’s Day message

The three young children of British heir-to-the-throne Prince William and his wife Kate released a Father’s Day message and photograph on Sunday, saying “We love you, Papa.” (Instagram/@princeandprincessofwales)
Short Url
Updated 17 June 2024
Follow

Young British royals say ‘We love you, Papa’ in Father’s Day message

  • The photograph was released a day after Kate, Britain’s Princess of Wales, was seen in public for the first time

LONDON: The three young children of British heir-to-the-throne Prince William and his wife Kate released a Father’s Day message and photograph on Sunday, saying “We love you, Papa.”
The photo shows the three children, Prince George, 10, Princess Charlotte, 9, and Prince Louis, 6, hugging William on a beach, with the photograph taken from behind as they all look out to sea.

The caption says the photo was taken by Kate and reads: “We love you, Papa. Happy Father’s Day,” followed by two red hearts and G, C & L.
The photograph was released a day after Kate, Britain’s Princess of Wales, was seen in public for the first time since she revealed she was undergoing treatment for cancer.
Kate, William and the children joined King Charles and other members of the royal family on the balcony of Buckingham Palace after watching a military parade to celebrate the monarch’s official birthday.
The princess, 42, spent two weeks in hospital in January after she underwent major abdominal surgery. Two months later she announced in a video message that tests had revealed the presence of cancer and she was receiving preventative chemotherapy.
She is still undergoing treatment, but she said in a statement on Friday that she was able to attend the “Trooping the Color” event because she was making good progress, although she noted that she was “not out of the woods” yet.
In a separate post on Sunday, the couple shared a photograph of William as a child playing football with his father, Charles.

 


Ryanair ‘flight from hell’ makes emergency landing after mid-air mass brawl

Updated 11 July 2024
Follow

Ryanair ‘flight from hell’ makes emergency landing after mid-air mass brawl

  • Fight erupted after one of the passengers refused to swap seats
  • Pilots made emergency landing in Marrakech after situation escalated and one women became ill

LONDON: A Ryanair flight from Agadir to London was forced to make an emergency landing in Marrakech last week after a mass brawl erupted between passengers.

“It was like the flight from hell. And it all escalated from that one passenger wanting to change seats,” an unnamed passenger reportedly told the media.

Witnesses said that the brawl started shortly after takeoff from the Moroccan city when a man in his twenties asked a woman to swap seats so he could sit next to his family.

The woman refused to change seats since she was already sitting with her daughter, prompting the man to begin threatening her.

The altercation led to the intervention of the woman’s husband, who started defending his wife, leading to the brawl. Other family members quickly joined in.

Video footage shared online shows passengers screaming, pushing and throwing punches in the aisle as cabin crew attempted to intervene.

“They were trying to punch each other. One of the families was part of a larger group so other passengers started to join in,” the fellow passage added.

In the middle of the drama, another person onboard the plane fell ill and had to be given oxygen mid-flight.

As the situation escalated, the pilots decided to divert the flight and make an emergency landing in Marrakech, where the police intervened to offload the “disruptive” passengers.

The ill passenger was also treated but was determined to continue her flight. She refused to disembark, requiring authorities to remove her, causing further delays.

By the time the situation was resolved, the cabin crew had reached their permitted flying hours, forcing the flight to be postponed to the following day.

A Ryanair spokesperson confirmed the incident, saying that the flight had to be postponed after a “small group of passengers became disruptive.”

They added that a series of events led to the rescheduling of the flight’s departure and apologized to customers for the diversion.


At least 65 pilot whales die in Scottish mass stranding

Updated 11 July 2024
Follow

At least 65 pilot whales die in Scottish mass stranding

  • Medics found there to be about 77 animals high up the beach, having evidently been stranded for several hours already
  • 12 of them were still alive

LONDON: At least 65 long-finned pilot whales have died after being stranded on an island off the north coast of Scotland, a rescue charity said on Thursday, in one of the largest mass strandings in Britain in recent times.
The British Divers Marine Life Rescue said it had been alerted to the stranding earlier in the day and sent medics to a beach on Sanday, a Scottish island in the Orkney archipelago.
“On arrival, the medics found there to be about 77 animals high up the beach, having evidently been stranded for several hours already. Sadly, only 12 of them (were) still alive at this point,” the charity said in a statement.
Whales can get stranded on shore for a range of reasons, such as when they lose their way or get trapped by tides, but scientists say there is no single definitive reason behind the phenomenon, which has been recorded throughout history.
Pilot whales, in particular, have close social bonds and when one member of a pod gets into difficulties others often follow them, resulting in mass strandings.
Almost a year ago a similar event involving pilot whales occurred on Lewis, another Scottish island located to the west of the mainland, when at least 55 whales died or were euthanized. A mass stranding also occurred in Western Australia earlier this year.


Woman swept to sea while swimming at a Japanese beach is rescued 37 hours later and 80 kilometers away

Updated 11 July 2024
Follow

Woman swept to sea while swimming at a Japanese beach is rescued 37 hours later and 80 kilometers away

  • The woman was spotted by a cargo ship early Wednesday, off the southern tip of Boso Peninsula
  • She was lucky to have survived despite the dangers of heat stroke under the sun, hypothermia at night or being hit by a ship in the dark

TOKYO: A Chinese woman who was swept out to sea while swimming at a Japanese beach was rescued 37 hours later after drifting in a swimming ring more than 80 kilometers in the Pacific Ocean, officials said Thursday.
Japan’s coast guard launched a search for the woman, identified only as a Chinese national in her 20s, after receiving a call Monday night from her friend saying she had disappeared while swimming at Shimoda, about 200 kilometers southwest of Tokyo.
The woman was spotted by a cargo ship early Wednesday, about 36 hours after she disappeared, off the southern tip of Boso Peninsula, the coast guard said.
The cargo ship asked a passing LPG tanker, the Kakuwa Maru No. 8, to help. Two of its crew members jumped into the sea and rescued the woman, officials said. She was airlifted by a coast guard helicopter to land, they said.
The woman was slightly dehydrated but was in good health and walked away after being examined at a nearby hospital, the officials said.
The coast guard said she had drifted more than 80 kilometers and was lucky to have survived despite the dangers of heat stroke under the sun, hypothermia at night or being hit by a ship in the dark.


Queen Camilla visits Wimbledon and Royal Box guests include actress Keira Knightley

Britain's Queen Camilla is seen in the royal box on centre court at Wimbledon before the start of play, July 10, 2024. (Reuters)
Updated 10 July 2024
Follow

Queen Camilla visits Wimbledon and Royal Box guests include actress Keira Knightley

  • Last year, the queen and Kate, the Princess of Wales, had made separate Wimbledon appearances
  • Unclear if Kate, who was diagnosed with cancer early this year, would visit before the tournament ends on Sunday

LONDON: Queen Camilla made a Centre Court appearance at Wimbledon on Wednesday.
Camilla, the wife of King Charles III, took a seat in the Royal Box, where guests included actress Keira Knightley, actor Richard E. Grant and Formula 1 driver George Russell.
Last year, the queen and Kate, the Princess of Wales, had made separate Wimbledon appearances. It was unclear if Kate, who was diagnosed with cancer early this year, would visit before the tournament ends on Sunday.
Camilla was greeted Wednesday by a ball girl and ball boy — the kids who run across the court chasing stray balls after a point is finished or a serve goes awry.
Among others she met was Martyn Falconer, head gardener at the All England Club.

Britain's Queen Camilla is seen in the royal box on centre court before the start of play, July 10, 2024. (Reuters)

The queen missed out on a Novak Djokovic match at Centre Court, though. The seven-time Wimbledon champion had been scheduled to play Alex de Minaur but the Australian withdrew because of a hip injury.
In the first match on Centre Court, Elena Rybakina defeated Elina Svitolina of Ukraine 6-3, 6-2. Svitolina hadn't realized that Camilla was in attendance.
“It’s such a big privilege to play Wimbledon in front of the queen, even though I didn’t know,” said Svitolina, who won a match Monday despite devastating news about the deadly Russian missile attack on her country. “The support that Ukraine (has) been getting from United Kingdom (has) been really unbelievable.”


The most complete UK dinosaur in a century found on the Isle of Wight

Updated 10 July 2024
Follow

The most complete UK dinosaur in a century found on the Isle of Wight

LONDON: The fossil remains of a plant-eating dinosaur estimated to have roamed the earth some 125 million years ago have been discovered on England’s Isle of Wight, with scientists believing it to be the most complete new specimen found in Britain in a century.
Weighing roughly the same as a large male American bison at about 900 kilogrammes (1990 lbs), the herbivorous species was likely a herding animal, Jeremy Lockwood, a PhD student at the University of Portsmouth who helped with the excavation, said in a statement.
The dinosaur, made up of 149 bones, was found in the cliffs of Compton Bay on the Isle of Wight, off the southern coast of England, in 2013 by late fossil collector Nick Chase.
It was named “Comptonatus chasei” as a tribute to Chase.
“Nick had a phenomenal nose for finding dinosaur bones ... This really is a remarkable find,” Lockwood said.
“It helps us understand more about the different types of dinosaurs that lived in England in the Early Cretaceous,” said Lockwood, also the lead author of a new paper describing the species published in the Journal of Systematic Palaeontology.
The remains of a meat-eating dinosaur belonging to an ancient predator bigger than anything known from the whole of Europe was discovered on the island in 2022. It was also from the Cretaceous Period.