Kuwaiti shooter Abdullah Al-Rashidi wins Tokyo 2020 bronze medal in men’s skeet competition

From left: Silver medalist Jesper Hansen of Denmark, gold medalist Vincent Hancock of the US and bronze medalist Abdullah Al-Rashidi of Kuwait celebrate after the men’s skeet at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 26 July 2021
Follow

Kuwaiti shooter Abdullah Al-Rashidi wins Tokyo 2020 bronze medal in men’s skeet competition

  • It is the 47-year-old’s second bronze after finishing third at Rio 2016 as an Independent Olympic Athlete

The shooter Abdullah Al-Rashidi has won a bronze medal for Kuwait in the men’s skeet competition that concluded at Asaka Shooting Range on Monday morning.

The 57-year-old finished the competition’s final with a total of 46 points, third behind American Vincent Hancock whose new Olympic record of 59 saw him claim gold, and Jesper Hansen of Denmark who secured silver with 55.

This is Al-Rashidi’s second Olympic bronze, the first coming at Rio 2016 when he competed as an Independent Olympic Athlete.

He had previously taken part in five other games, finishing in 42nd position at Atlanta 1996, 14th at Sydney 2000, 9th at both Athens 2004 and Beijing 2008, and 21st at London 2012.

At Tokyo 2020’s men’s skeet qualification Day 1 on Sunday, Al-Rashidi finished joint sixth with three rounds of 25, 25, 24, for a total of 74 out of 75. The following morning, he followed that up with qualification Day 2 total score of 122 (25, 25, 24, 25, 23) to confirm progress to the final later in the day.


UK Athletics admits corporate manslaughter in death of UAE Paralympian Abdullah Hayayei

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

UK Athletics admits corporate manslaughter in death of UAE Paralympian Abdullah Hayayei

  • UK Athletics had initially denied the charge when it appeared in court in March 2025 but entered a guilty plea on Friday

LONDON: UK Athletics has admitted corporate manslaughter over the death of Emirati Paralympian Abdullah Hayayei, who was killed in a training accident in London in 2017, it was reported on Friday.

Hayayei, 36, died after a heavy metal cage collapsed on him while he was preparing for the World Para-Athletics Championships at Newham Leisure Centre in July of that year.

The governing body had initially denied the charge when it appeared in court in March 2025 but entered a guilty plea on Friday during a hearing at the Old Bailey in London, media reports said.

Keith Davies, the head of sport for the London 2017 World Para-Athletics Championships, also pleaded guilty to a health and safety offense.

The 78-year-old had previously denied a charge of gross negligence manslaughter.

Prosecutor Karen Robinson told the court a two-day sentencing hearing should be scheduled for early June, confirming the prosecution would not pursue a trial and that all remaining matters would be resolved following sentencing.

Davies was granted continued bail, subject to conditions including cooperation with the UK Probation Service in the preparation of a pre-sentence report.

At the time of the fatal incident, Hayayei was training to compete at the London championships.

The UAE athlete had been due to take part in the F34 shot put, discus and javelin events.

A father of five, Hayayei made his Paralympic debut at the Rio Paralympics in 2016, finishing sixth in the javelin and seventh in the shot put.

London 2017 was set to be his second world championships appearance, having placed fifth in the discus and eighth in the shot put at the 2015 event in Doha.

A moment of silence was observed in Hayayei’s memory during the opening ceremony at the London Stadium.