Hajj pilgrims urged to visit vaccine centers for second jab

General view from a plane window shows muslims make their way cast stones at the pillar that symbolises Satan during the annual hajj pilgrimage in Mina, Saudi Arabia. (REUTERS file photo)
Short Url
Updated 28 June 2021
Follow

Hajj pilgrims urged to visit vaccine centers for second jab

  • Food and Drug Authority approves use of Pfizer vaccine for ages 12-18

JEDDAH: People who have received their Hajj permits for this year’s pilgrimage should visit their nearest vaccine center to receive their second jab within 48 hours of the permit being issued, the Kingdom’s Ministry of Hajj and Umrah has said.

Just 60,000 people will be allowed to perform Hajj as registration for it was only open to citizens and residents of the Kingdom. The ministry’s portal received more than 550,000 applications before registration closed last Wednesday.
Pilgrims should either be fully vaccinated, have had one dose at least 14 days before Hajj, or be vaccinated after recovering from a coronavirus infection. The ministry urged people with permits to get vaccinated, assuring them that no appointment was needed.
Saudi Arabia’s Food and Drug Authority also approved the use of the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for ages 12-18.
More than 17.2 million vaccine doses have been administered in Saudi Arabia so far, with a Ministry of Health spokesman saying that nobody had died from COVID-19 after completing the vaccination course.
Speaking at a press conference, Dr. Mohammed Al-Abd Al-Aly also said the number of daily cases were showing some stability and one possibility could be due to the recent “record number” of people taking PCR tests.
“The average number in the past few weeks have recorded between 1,000-1,200 cases and differ from one region to the next, but we urge everyone to adhere to precautionary measures, register for the vaccine until we reach a level of safety soon,” he added, explaining the difference between individual immunity and herd immunity.

FASTFACT

Quarantine violators will either pay a fine of SR200,000 ($53,333), be jailed for no longer than two years or both. The penalty will be doubled if the incident reoccurs.

“To achieve high herd immunity in society, we must follow health precautions and opt for the vaccine. On an individual level, this will decrease chances of infection and critical cases, and it highly decreases the probability of death, even through one jab.”
He said there were no problems with people getting the flu shot if they had also been vaccinated against COVID-19, and answered questions about why case numbers were increasing even though a good percentage of the population had been vaccinated. He said while the second dose boosted protection, it did not prevent an infection.
There were 1,218 new cases of COVID-19 recorded on Sunday, bringing the overall total to 483,221. There are 11,190 active cases, with 1,440 of them critical. There have been a further 1,252 recoveries, taking this total to 464,256. There were 15 more deaths, raising the death toll to 7,775.
Interior Ministry spokesman Lt. Col. Talal Al-Shalhoub, who was speaking at the same press conference, reiterated the tough penalties and consequences for people violating COVID-19 quarantine measures. Violators will either pay a fine of SR200,000 ($53,333), be jailed for no longer than two years or both. The penalty will be doubled if the incident reoccurs.
If the violator is a resident, he or she will leave the Kingdom and will be prevented from entry after the penalty imposed on them.

As of last week, the ministry reported 17,818 breaches of COVID-19 health precautions. “Riyadh is the region with the highest violations, the Eastern Province comes in at second, and third would be the Makkah region,” he said.

The Ministry of Islamic Affairs, Dawah and Guidance reopened 12 mosques after their temporary closure and sterilization. It has sterilized 1,684 mosques in a 141-day period.

On Sunday, it said the mosques that were sterilized and reopened were in the regions of Riyadh, Asir, and Jizan.


Saudi volunteers pack aid as KSrelief steps up help for Gaza

Updated 55 min 36 sec ago
Follow

Saudi volunteers pack aid as KSrelief steps up help for Gaza

  • Packages include rice, oil, canned goods, dairy products, shelter kits, and will be delivered through Rafah crossing
  • Reported death toll of Israel’s war in Gaza has surpassed 70,000, with more than 171,000 people injured

RIYADH: The Saudi aid agency KSrelief has been preparing food baskets and shelter kits to help Palestinians in the Gaza Strip.

Shalhoub bin Abdullah Al-Shalhoub, KSrelief’s director of media and public relations, called the initiative a “community-driven effort.”

Al-Shalhoub added: “There has been a popular campaign to support the Palestinian people, and this has given us the opportunity to launch the initiative to allow volunteers to help prepare the food baskets.”

Each food basket contains 7 kg of basmati rice, two bags of halva, 10 cans of tuna, 16 cans of fava beans, two large bottles of cooking oil, 1 kg of salt, 3 kg of sugar, 15 cans of evaporated milk, 1 kg of peanut butter, and a stock of cheese.

Al-Shalhoub told Arab News: “As you can see behind me, it is a beautiful sight. Seeing these young men and women here fills us with pride. You can truly sense their enthusiasm and commitment to this humanitarian work.”

KSrelief opened its volunteer portal three days ago to register participants for preparing food baskets at the agency’s warehouse. More than 80,000 people have already registered, according to Al-Shalhoub.

Anyone can sign up, choose a campaign or specialization, and volunteer.

Al-Shalhoub said: “We say to the Saudi people: You are naturally inclined toward goodness and charitable work. What we see today is one of the most inspiring humanitarian scenes embodied in this image behind me.”

The food basket and shelter kit initiative follows others led by KSrelief since the Gaza conflict began in October 2023.

Al-Shalhoub said that 80 aircraft, eight ships, and 20 ambulances had been deployed to the Gaza Strip to help the situation there.

This support is continuing across three main sectors: food security, health and medical assistance, and Ramadan programs and seasonal campaigns.

Al-Shalhoub said: “During this period (Ramadan), we are also collecting donations as part of the Palestine Campaign, which has received a high level of contributions.”

All aid will enter the Gaza Strip through the Rafah crossing. Israel reopened Gaza’s Rafah border with Egypt in early February — the only exit point for Palestinians not controlled by Israel — to limited traffic after nearly two years of closure.

The World Health Organization, the Food and Agriculture Organization, the UN Children’s Fund, and the World Food Programme reported in August 2025 that half a million people in Gaza were trapped in famine, and called for an immediate ceasefire in the conflict and “unhindered” humanitarian access.

International pressure is today focused on increasing daily truck capacity and restoring fuel access. Aid continues but remains inconsistent due to numerous missions being denied or impeded by Israeli authorities.

The reported death toll of Israel’s war in Gaza has surpassed 70,000, with more than 171,000 people injured, according to recent reports.

The World Peace Foundation reported in August 2025 that deaths from starvation and health-related causes had “without doubt” exceeded 10,000.

Those interested in volunteering for the Palestine Campaign can register through KSrelief’s Saudi international volunteer portal: volunteer.ksrelief.org/en.