MADRID: The Spanish interior minister said on Friday he hoped a diplomatic spat with Morocco over an influx of illegal migrants into Spain’s North African enclave of Ceuta would soon end.
Morocco had appeared to loosen its border controls with Ceuta for two days on Monday, letting thousands of migrants pour into the enclave. The move was widely viewed as retaliation for Spain’s hosting of Western Sahara independence leader Brahim Ghali.
Spain has said Ghali was admitted as a COVID-19 patient to a Spanish hospital last month under an assumed name and an Algerian diplomatic passport for humanitarian reasons.
“There was a disagreement (with Morocco) and we hope this disagreement will be as short-lived as possible,” Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska told COPE radio station.
“It is inconceivable that a humanitarian gesture should trigger a situation like the crisis in Ceuta.”
Ghali’s Algeria-backed Polisario Front is fighting for the independence of Western Sahara, a territory once held by Spain and under Moroccan control since the 1970s.
Ceuta was quiet on Friday as authorities kept sending back migrants who had broken into the enclave. More than 6,500 migrants have now been returned to Morocco out of some 8,000 who swam to Ceuta on Monday and Tuesday, Grande-Marlaska said.
A senior Spanish diplomatic source told Reuters: “We have been calling for calm and moderation since this started... We still have a strategic relationship with Morocco.”
Morocco’s minister of state for human rights, Mustafa Ramid, accused Spain on Thursday of committing a “reckless and totally unacceptable act” in admitting Ghali without consulting Rabat. He said Morocco had “the right to lean back” in response.
In Spain’s other North African enclave, Melilla, located about 300 km (185 miles) east of Ceuta, some 30 migrants crossed over in the early hours on Friday, scaling the high, razor-wired fence that separates it from Morocco, authorities said.
The European Union has expressed solidarity with Spain over the crisis.
Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis said on Friday: “Migrants and refugees can’t be used as geopolitical pawns to put pressure to the European Union as a whole, and I think we need to be very, very strict when this happens.”
Spain hopes for swift end to spat with Morocco as more migrants sent back
https://arab.news/ptswr
Spain hopes for swift end to spat with Morocco as more migrants sent back
- Morocco had appeared to loosen its border controls with Ceuta letting thousands of migrants pour into the enclave
- Move was viewed as retaliation for Spain's hosting of Western Sahara independence leader Brahim Ghali
X briefly hit by 'international outages': monitors
- The breakdown was "not related to country-level internet disruptions or filtering," Netblocks said
- Spokespeople for X did not respond to request for comment on the outage before service was restored
Service was restored to Elon Musk-owned social network X Monday afternoon after it had failed to show posts to users in many countries.
The site was displaying content, allowing users to post and otherwise functioning normally again around 1530 GMT, after the Down Detector tracking website reported a spike in outage reports around two hours before.
X had appeared to be suffering "international outages," connectivity monitor Netblocks posted on the open-source social network Mastodon during the disruption.
The breakdown was "not related to country-level internet disruptions or filtering", added Netblocks, which regularly flags technical issues with popular online services and sites as well as interference by national governments.
Its most recent posts about similar outages for X came on February 9, the day after the Super Bowl in the US, and February 1.
AFP journalists in countries including France and Thailand had also been unable to access X on Monday afternoon.
Spokespeople for X did not respond to AFP's request for comment on the outage before service was restored.
Musk laid off thousands of people at the former Twitter and changed its name after buying the service in 2022.
He has since merged it with his xAI company, which develops the Grok chatbot.
xAI is set to in turn be absorbed by Musk's rocket firm SpaceX, with that merged entity expected to go public as early as summer this year.










