Pakistani augmented reality ‘pioneer’ honored in Forbes 30 Under 30

This picture was taken in 2017 when Pakistani artist Asad J Malik demoed his first major AR project at a Kaleidoscope fund event in LA. (Photo Courtesy: Asad J Malik Instagram)
Short Url
Updated 09 December 2020
Follow

Pakistani augmented reality ‘pioneer’ honored in Forbes 30 Under 30

  • Asad J Malik’s augmented reality app Jadu turns TikTok stars and musicians into holograms
  • The California-based techie plans to expand Jadu next year and set up a team in Pakistan 

RAWALPINDI: Forbes has chosen Pakistani Asad J Malik for its “30 Under 30” list of top achievers under 30 years old in their fields, calling him a “pioneer in using augmented reality for storytelling.”
Malik, 24, moved to the United States in 2016 for college. His breakout projects are “Terminal 3,” featuring young Muslim immigrants, and a collaboration with Magic Leap called “A Jester’s Tale.”
Last year Malik’s studio, 1RIC, inked a seven-figure investment deal, recruited veteran Executive Producer Ela Topcuoglu, and established offices in Los Angeles, CA. He is now also working with Verizon to build educational augmented reality (AR) experiences with 5G and his AR app Jadu, Urdu for magic, turns TikTok stars and musicians into holograms.
“It’s a nice sense of accomplishment but you also can get carried away with it too much,” Malik told Arab News in an interview, commenting on being recognized by Forbes. “I was very happy about it.”




Asad J Malik for Forbes 30 Under 30 (Forbes)

Speaking about Jadu, Malik said: “We captured different artists with 160 cameras and recreated them in 3D in a very realistic way, and you’re able to place them in your space, in your world, with your phone.”
“It’s become popular on Tik Tok, there are millions of views,” he added.
Malik, who currently resides in Los Angeles, California, was born in Abbottabad and grew up in Khewra, home to Pakistan’s salt mines. He began coding and creating websites for fun as a young kid, he said.




Asad J Malik on October 21, 2019 (Photo Courtesy Ryan Davis)

“I was programming when I was around 11,” Malik said. “It kind of became a bit of a hobby or really more of an obsession for me. I made a bunch of websites that a lot of people were using when I was a teenager including people that lived in other countries, getting kind of international exposure.”
Malik got a scholarship to finish high school in the Netherlands and another one to go to art school at Bennington College in Vermont.
In the future he said he wanted to do work that combines cutting edge technology with creativity, and hopes to expand Jadu next year and build a team in Pakistan.


Pakistan plans broader privatization push, eyes power utilities this year

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan plans broader privatization push, eyes power utilities this year

  • Considerably high losses, inefficiencies and mounting subsidies in power sector have dented Pakistan’s public finances
  • Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb says 26 state-owned entities have been handed over to Privatization Commission

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan is widening a sweeping privatization program following the sale of its national airline last year, with power distributors next in line and more state companies to be handed to the Privatization Commission, the finance minister said on Monday.

Pakistan’s government successfully divested a 75 percent stake in the Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) in December last year. The move was part of Islamabad’s broader privatization program, which aims to reduce fiscal losses inflicted by loss-making state-owned enterprises (SOEs) by either privatizing or restructuring them.

Pakistani officials have said the Privatization Commission plans to divest the country’s electricity distribution companies in two batches. The first phase will include the Islamabad Electric Supply Company, Gujranwala Electric Power Company and Faisalabad Electric Supply Company, followed by Hyderabad Electric Supply Company and Sukkur Electric Power Company in the second batch. Considerably high losses, inefficiencies and mounting subsidies in the power sector have dented Pakistan’s public finances over the years, making it a central focus of Islamabad’s reform agenda.

Speaking at a news conference about Pakistan’s privatization program, Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb said there are five power distribution companies to be privatized this year, out of which the sell-side advisers for three are Alvarez & Marsel. He said the Turkish Investment Bank has been entrusted with the task of being the sell-side advisers for the other two companies. 

“Overall, 26 SOEs have been handed over to the Privatization Commission,” Aurangzeb told reporters. “This decision is first made in the Cabinet Committee on SOEs, it then goes to the Cabinet Committee on Privatization, and then its overall approval is given by the prime minister and the cabinet.”

Aurangzeb vowed the government will take the privatization process forward with the same level of transparency as it had exhibited during the PIA sale last year. 

“And this will be taken forward with a lot of speed because we will not stop at 26 SOEs,” the finance minister said. “We will also gradually hand over other state institutions to the Privatization Commission,” he added. 

Speaking further about SOEs and their performances over the years, the minister said losses from the state entities decreased by about Rs74 billion [$264.6 million] over the last three years.

He said SOEs had reported losses of Rs905 billion [$3.24 billion] in 2023, Rs851 billion [$3.04 billion] in 2024 and Rs832 billion [$2.98 billion] in 2025.

Pakistan’s privatization push comes at the back of its efforts to ensure sustainable economic progress after a prolonged macroeconomic crisis that drained its foreign exchange reserves and triggered a balance of payments crisis.