Pakistan cricket squad to continue with New Zealand tour, PCB says

This picture taken on September 7, 2017 shows pigeons resting on a sign for the Pakistan Cricket Board at the Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 05 December 2020
Follow

Pakistan cricket squad to continue with New Zealand tour, PCB says

  • On Friday, New Zealand health authorities refused to allow quarantined Pakistan squad to practice among themselves
  • Earlier, PCB had expressed its ‘disappointment’ that the exemption had not been granted to players

LAHORE: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has decided to continue with the Pakistan Cricket team’s tour of New Zealand after considering pulling them out during a meeting a day earlier, a senior official told Arab News on Saturday.

Six members of the Pakistan squad tested positive for the novel coronavirus after their arrival in Christchurch last month. Another player tested positive two days later. Subsequently, all players were moved into 14-day quarantine and the team’s exemption to train in isolation was revoked. 

Since then 43 players with the exception of those who tested positive, have tested negative in three separate COVID-19 swab tests. 

But the New Zealand Health Ministry on Friday refused to give permission to the Pakistan squad to come out of hotel isolation and practice among themselves, as their two weeks in managed isolation in Christchurch had not been completed. 

The isolation period will end on Thursday.

“In consultation with the team management, and giving weightage to international cricket and taking into consideration the PCB’s longstanding relationship with New Zealand Cricket, it was agreed to continue the tour as originally planned,” Sami Ul Hasan Burney, the PCB’s director for media, told Arab News.

The Pakistan team are touring New Zealand to play two test matches and three T-20 international matches this month and next. The test matches are part of the inaugural 2019–21 ICC World Test Championship. 

Earlier, the PCB had contacted the New Zealand health ministry and cricket board, calling their denial of the exemption to the Pakistan team disappointing, according to a press release. 

“I have contacted New Zealand Cricket Board and Ministry of health and expressed my disappointment for not allowing them to hold practice session despite negative report of COVID-19 tests,” PCB chief Waseem Khan said in a press statement.

The Pakistan A team, part of the touring squad, were also scheduled to play two four-day matches against the New Zealand A team. The first one scheduled to be played in Queenstown has been cancelled.

“There is no denying the fact that the team has been in an unusual situation since their arrival in Christchurch, which is unproductive and unhealthy for any professional athlete,” Burney said. 

“The PCB understands the situation, both from the players and NZC perspectives, and fully backs all its players whose contribution for the resumption of international cricket in this pandemic is overwhelming and unmatched.”


Pakistan partially rolls back solar policy, keeps old net-metering terms for pending applicants

Updated 13 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan partially rolls back solar policy, keeps old net-metering terms for pending applicants

  • Decision applies to applications submitted before Feb. 8, which will be processed under previous net-metering regulations
  • Move follows public backlash after Pakistan cut buyback rates for rooftop solar power under new billing framework

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s power minister has ordered electricity distribution companies to process all rooftop solar net-metering applications submitted before Feb. 8 under the previous, more favorable rules, according to a government statement released Thursday.

The decision comes after days of public criticism over new regulations that lowered the rate paid to solar users for surplus electricity, part of broader reforms aimed at easing financial pressure on loss-making power utilities.

The directive by Power Minister Sardar Awais Leghari applies nationwide, including the private utility K-Electric, and affects thousands of households and businesses awaiting approval to connect solar systems to the national grid.

“All electricity distribution companies, including K-Electric, will provide the net-metering facility for applications submitted up to February 8,” the ministry said in the statement, adding immediate implementation orders had been issued.

Authorities said 5,165 pending applications fall under the decision, adding about 250.822 megawatts of capacity to the national grid. The ministry said the move would remove uncertainty for consumers and directed companies to maintain transparency in processing requests.

Pakistan introduced grid-connected rooftop solar and net-metering in 2015 during a worsening power shortage, allowing consumers to sell excess electricity to the grid at the same tariff they paid utilities, a policy designed to encourage renewable adoption and reduce outages.

Over the past three years, soaring electricity prices and frequent blackouts triggered a rapid solar boom, with households and businesses installing panels to cut costs. Solar’s share of the energy mix rose sharply and tens of thousands of new connections were added annually.

Earlier this month, however, regulators replaced the net-metering regime with a net-billing framework separating purchase and sale prices, meaning consumers would receive a lower, market-linked rate for exported electricity while paying full tariffs for grid power.

Officials argued the change was necessary because widespread rooftop generation was reducing utility revenues and worsening the country’s circular debt crisis. Consumers and industry groups criticized the move, saying it undermined investment certainty.

The government has since moved to protect existing users and now pending applicants from the revised pricing mechanism, while new connections after the cutoff date will fall under the updated billing system.