Bahrain’s Prime Minister Khalifa bin Salman dies aged 84, Arab world reacts

Bahrain’s Prime Minister Khalifa bin Salman Al-Khalifa died in a hospital in the US. (File/BNA)
Short Url
Updated 12 November 2020
Follow

Bahrain’s Prime Minister Khalifa bin Salman dies aged 84, Arab world reacts

  • The late prime minister's body will be repatriated to Bahrain from the US
  • King Hamad announces a week of official mourning, appoints crown prince as premier

DUBAI: Bahrain’s Prime Minister Khalifa bin Salman Al-Khalifa died Wednesday at age 84, Bahrain News Agency (BNA) reported.
His body will be repatriated from the United States, where he was at Mayo Clinic Hospital at the time of his death.
The country’s King Hamad announced an official week of mourning for the late prime minister, while ministries and government departments will be closed for three days as of Thursday, the report added.
King Hamad issued a decree appointing Crown Prince Salman bin Hamad to head the Council of Ministers effective immediately, state news agency BNA reported.
UAE President Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed, Vice President, Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid, and Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed sent cables of condolences to King Hamad.
Mohammed bin Rashid also tweeted: “Our condolences to our brother, the King of Bahrain, and to our beloved Bahraini people, on the death of Prince Khalifa bin Salman Al-Khalifa... An extended march in the service of his country...And a developmental journey that contributed to shaping the modern history of Bahrain.”

Opinion

This section contains relevant reference points, placed in (Opinion field)

Kuwait’s Emir Sheikh Nawaf Al-Ahmed Al-Jaber Al-Sabah also sent a cable of condolences to the Bahraini king, saying the kingdom had lost a “son who devoted his life to the service of his country.”
He also recalled Prince Khalifa’s stance with the Kuwaiti people during the Gulf war, “which will remain fresh in their memories,” he added.
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi offered his condolences to King Hamad during a phone call, in which he expressed appreciation for the late premier’s efforts to support Egyptian-Bahraini relations.
King Hamad also received similar cables of condolences from other Arab leaders, including Sultan of Oman Haitham bin Tariq, King Abdullah II of Jordan, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, King Mohammed VI of Morocco, Lebanese President Michel Aoun, and Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa Al-Kadhimi, among others.
Prince Khalifa was the longest serving premier in the world, stepping into the post in 1970. He previously served as the country’s head of the State Council and of the Supreme Defense Council.
Prince Khalifa’s brother, Sheikh Isa bin Salman, took power in 1961 and served as monarch when Bahrain gained its independence from Britain in 1971. 
He was born on Nov. 24, 1935, and was married and has three surviving children, sons Ali and Salman and daughter Lulwa. Another son, Mohammed, died previously.


The UN says Al-Hol camp population has dropped sharply as Syria moves to relocate remaining families

Updated 15 February 2026
Follow

The UN says Al-Hol camp population has dropped sharply as Syria moves to relocate remaining families

  • Forces of Syria’s central government captured the Al-Hol camp on Jan. 21 during a weekslong offensive against the SDF, which had been running the camp near the border with Iraq for a decade

DAMASCUS: The UN refugee agency said Sunday that a large number of residents of a camp housing family members of suspected Daesh group militants have left and the Syrian government plans to relocate those who remain.
Gonzalo Vargas Llosa, UNHCR’s representative in Syria, said in a statement that the agency “has observed a significant decrease in the number of residents in Al-Hol camp in recent weeks.”
“Syrian authorities have informed UNHCR of their plan to relocate the remaining families to Akhtarin camp in Aleppo Governorate (province) and have requested UNHCR’s support to assist the population in the new camp, which we stand ready to provide,” he said.
He added that UNHCR “will continue to support the return and reintegration of Syrians who have departed Al-Hol, as well as those who remain.”
The statement did not say how residents had left the camp or how many remain. Many families are believed to have escaped either during the chaos when government forces captured the camp from the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces last month or afterward.
There was no immediate statement from the Syrian government and a government spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment.
At its peak after the defeat of IS in Syria in 2019, around 73,000 people were living at Al-Hol. Since then, the number has declined with some countries repatriating their citizens. The camp’s residents are mostly children and women, including many wives or widows of IS members.
The camp’s residents are not technically prisoners and most have not been accused of crimes, but they have been held in de facto detention at the heavily guarded facility.
Forces of Syria’s central government captured the Al-Hol camp on Jan. 21 during a weekslong offensive against the SDF, which had been running the camp near the border with Iraq for a decade. A ceasefire deal has since ended the fighting.
Separately, thousands of accused IS militants who were held in detention centers in northeastern Syria have been transferred to Iraq to stand trial under an agreement with the US
The US military said Friday that it had completed the transfer of more than 5,700 adult male IS suspects from detention facilities in Syria to Iraqi custody.
Iraq’s National Center for International Judicial Cooperation said a total of 5,704 suspects from 61 countries who were affiliated with IS — most of them Syrian and Iraqi — were transferred from prisons in Syria. They are now being interrogated in Iraq.