Armenia and Azerbaijan vow to keep fighting as deaths mount

1 / 3
An Armenian soldier fires an artillery piece during fighting with Azerbaijan's forces in the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh on Sept. 29, 2020. (Ministry of Defense of Armenia via AP)
2 / 3
A still image taken from a handout video released September 29, 2020 by the Azerbaijan's Defense Ministry shows Azerbaijan's artillery fires in direction of the enemy positions deployed in the self-Proclaimed Nagorno-Karabakh Republic. (EPA/Azerbaijan Defence Ministry/Handout)
3 / 3
Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan says that arch-foe Azerbaijan has declared war on his people after heavy fighting erupted along the frontlines of contested territory. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 01 October 2020
Follow

Armenia and Azerbaijan vow to keep fighting as deaths mount

  • Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan said it is not appropriate to speak of a summit between Armenia, Azerbaijan and Russia during a period of intensive hostilities
  • Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev promised his military would keep fighting until Armenian troops withdraw fully from Karabakh

STEPANAKERT, Azerbaijan: Armenia and Azerbaijan vowed to keep fighting and rejected international calls for negotiations Wednesday as clashes over the disputed Nagorny Karabakh region raged for a fourth day.
In the breakaway province’s capital Stepanakert, two explosions were heard around midnight as sirens sounded. Residents said the city had been attacked by drones.
Streets were dark with public lighting shut off, although some shops were open in the city, which local authorities said came under fire when fresh violence erupted Sunday.
Moscow said Russian President Vladimir Putin and his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron had called for a “complete” halt to fighting in Karabakh and said they were ready to intensify diplomatic efforts to help solve the conflict.
“Vladimir Putin and Emmanuel Macron called on the warring sides to halt fire completely and as soon as possible, de-escalate tensions and show maximum restraint,” the Kremlin said.
In a telephone call, the two leaders expressed “readiness” to see a statement made on behalf of the co-chairs of the Minsk Group — Russia, France and the US — that would call for an “immediate” end to fighting and start of talks, it added.
Armenian and Azerbaijani forces are engaged in the heaviest fighting in years over Karabakh, an ethnic Armenian province that broke away from Azerbaijan in the 1990s when the Soviet Union collapsed.
The confirmed death toll surpassed 100 people including civilians Wednesday, with both sides claiming to have inflicted heavy losses on the other.
Baku and Yerevan have ignored mounting international pressure for a cease-fire, sparking fears the conflict could escalate into all-out war and draw in regional powers like Turkey and Russia.
“We need to prepare for a long-term war,” Karabakh separatist leader Arayik Harutyunyan said Wednesday.
Moscow, which has a military pact with Armenia but also good ties with Azerbaijan, has repeatedly called for an end to the fighting and on Wednesday offered to host negotiations.

In separate phone conversations with his counterparts from both ex-Soviet countries, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov reaffirmed Moscow’s “readiness” to organize a meeting.
But neither leader showed signs of being ready for talks.
Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev promised his military would keep fighting until Armenian troops withdraw fully from Karabakh.
If “the Armenian government fulfils the demand, fighting and bloodshed will end, and peace will be established in the region,” he said while visiting wounded soldiers.
Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan said it was not “very appropriate” to speak of negotiations “at a time of intensive hostilities.”
In the Armenian capital Yerevan, dozens of men gathered outside a recruitment office to join the fight.
“We must act to defend our homeland against the aggressor,” said Kamo, a 32-year-old factory worker. “This is our land. We will die before we abandon it.”
There has been no let-up in the fighting since the weekend, with both sides reporting new civilian casualties Wednesday.
Armenia has recorded 104 military deaths and 23 civilians killed.
Azerbaijan’s defense ministry said its forces have killed 2,300 Karabakh separatist troops and “destroyed 130 tanks, 200 artillery units, 25 anti-aircraft units, five ammunition depots, 50 anti-tank units, 55 military vehicles.”
Armenia claimed that Azerbaijan had lost 130 troops while another 200 were wounded.
“Armenian armed forces destroyed 29 tanks and armored vehicles,” a defense ministry spokesman said.

Karabakh’s defense ministry, for its part, said Azerbaijani forces “continued artillery shelling” along the frontline.
The two sides have accused each other of targeting civilian areas, including some away from Karabakh.
Yerevan claims that Turkey, a longstanding ally of Azerbaijan, is providing direct military support for Baku.
It said on Tuesday that a Turkish F-16 flying in support of Baku’s forces had downed an Armenian SU-25 warplane, but Ankara and Baku denied the claim.
The Karabakh separatist leader reiterated claims Turkey was involved.
“The real enemy is Turkey,” Harutyunyan said.
There have been reports of Turkey sending fighters from Syria, where Ankara is allied with some rebel groups, to join the Azerbaijani side.
Azerbaijan for its part also claimed Armenia was deploying foreign fighters.
“Mercenaries from Middle Eastern countries are fighting against us alongside Armenian forces,” Aliyev’s foreign policy adviser, Hikmet Khadjiyev, told AFP.
Russia’s foreign ministry said that “fighters of illegal armed groups including from Syria and Libya” were being deployed to the conflict zone.
It said it was “deeply concerned” but did not say who was responsible or lay any blame.

“We are definitely very close to seeing a large-scale war, possibly even on a regional scale,” said Olesya Vartanyan of the International Crisis Group.
Karabakh’s declaration of independence from Azerbaijan sparked a war in the early 1990s that claimed 30,000 lives, but it is still not recognized as independent by any country, including Armenia.
Talks to resolve the conflict have largely stalled since a 1994 cease-fire agreement.


In rare overlap, Chinese Muslims observe Ramadan with Lunar New Year

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

In rare overlap, Chinese Muslims observe Ramadan with Lunar New Year

  • Lunar New Year started on Feb. 17 and is celebrated for another two weeks
  • Chinese Indonesians make up about 3 percent of the Indonesian population

JAKARTA: Every year, on the first day of Lunar New Year, Febriani visits relatives and gathers for a feast with her Chinese Muslim family, part of a long-standing tradition honoring their ethnic heritage.

But this year, as Thursday marks the beginning of Ramadan, she is celebrating two important occasions within the same week, in a rare overlap that last took place in 1995.

“I’m very happy and grateful that Lunar New Year and Ramadan are celebrated so closely. I observe both every year, so it’s truly special,” she told Arab News.

Widely observed across Asia, the Lunar New Year or Chinese New Year festival is believed to date back to the 14th century B.C., to the times of the Shang Dynasty, China’s earliest ruling dynasty, when people celebrated good harvests.

In 2026, it started on Feb. 17 and is celebrated for another two weeks. For many, celebrations typically involve elaborate feasts, giving children pocket money in red envelopes, and watching dragon dance parades.

In Indonesia, Chinese-descent citizens make up an estimated 3 percent of the country’s Muslim-majority population of more than 280 million. While most are either Buddhists or Christians, a small minority professes Islam.

For 25-year-old Febriani, both Lunar New Year and Ramadan are equally meaningful.

“The two celebrations teach us to strengthen bonds, to share with one another, and to become closer to family,” she said.

“They are both important to me because they happen only once every year and they’re always an occasion to gather with the extended family. It is also a chance to self-reflect and strengthen relationships with your loved ones.”

For Naga Kunadi, whose family lives in Central Java’s Cepu district, Chinese New Year is all about embracing his ethnic identity.

Earlier in the week, his family was busy preparing for the new year’s feast, which was a fusion of Chinese and Indonesian dishes, such as claypot tofu, meatball soup and shumai, or steamed dumplings.

“To celebrate Chinese New Year, we prepared halal Chinese food at home. It’s also a way to introduce to my children the traditions from our Chinese side, but there’s a bit of a fusion because my wife is Javanese,” Kunadi told Arab News.

Kunadi, an Islamic teacher at the Lautze Mosque in Jakarta, sees both Chinese New Year and Ramadan as opportunities to teach important life values for his two children. 

Upholding Chinese New Year traditions with his family is for him a way of preserving his ethnic heritage.

“We want to preserve cultural values as long as it does not clash with our religion,” he said.

“If we leave our culture behind, we might lose our identity, so this is something I want to teach my children.”

The fasting month of Ramadan, on the other hand, gives him a chance to teach and practice honesty.

“I want to focus on the religious and moral aspects during the holy month of Ramadan, when we practice honesty on a personal level,” Kunadi said.

“There’s always an opportunity to eat or snack in secret without anybody knowing, but we train ourselves not to do that. For me, Ramadan is a time for everyone to put honesty into practice, including myself and my children.”