Lionel Messi criticism taken on board by Barcelona, says club vice-president

In this file photo taken on August 14, 2020 Barcelona's Argentinian forward Lionel Messi reacts during the UEFA Champions League quarter-final football match between Barcelona and Bayern Munich at the Luz stadium in Lisbon. (AFP/File Photo)
Short Url
Updated 11 September 2020
Follow

Lionel Messi criticism taken on board by Barcelona, says club vice-president

  • Messi admitted he had been forced to stay this summer but said he had wanted to leave and was dismayed by the lack of direction at the top of the club

MADRID: Barcelona have taken heed of Lionel Messi's scathing criticism of the club as they begin a “fresh and exciting project”, vice-president Pau Vilanova has said.
Vilanova's assessment is the first time someone on the Barca board has spoken publicly since Messi's explosive interview with Goal last week.
Messi admitted he had been forced to stay this summer but said he had wanted to leave and was dismayed by the lack of direction at the top of the club.
“We are very happy that Messi is with us and has joined this exciting project,” said Vilanova on Friday.
“You have to take his words into consideration and for this reason we are starting a recovery, for this reason we are beginning a new, fresh and exciting project.”
Messi returned to pre-season training under new coach Ronaldo Koeman this week.

******

READ MORE: Lionel Messi says he is staying with Barcelona this season

Barcelona fans relieved after Messi says he will stay

******

The 33-year-old turned up an hour and a half early for the first session on Monday and has been working on the team's days off as he tries to make up for lost time following a chaotic few weeks.
Barcelona play a friendly against Gimnasio Tarragona on Saturday and then Elche and Girona, before starting their La Liga season at home to Villarreal at the end of the month.
All eyes will be on Messi and whether he has the motivation to reintegrate and find his best form again.
“In any profession, we've all had doubts about our situation and then, after some reflection, we have decided to continue or to leave,” said Vilanova. “In this case he will continue and he will be motivated.”
Messi was particularly critical of Barcelona's president Josep Maria Bartomeu, whom he accused of going back on his word over an agreement to let him leave.
“We hope and wish that there is a respect and togetherness so the club can function,” said Vilanova. “Obviously, there are people from the club who are talking to him.”
After Barcelona's historic 8-2 defeat by Bayern Munich in the Champions League, Bartomeu brought forward the presidential elections, which will be held on March 20 and 21.
But more than 7,500 members have signed a petition to be rid of him sooner, with 16,500 signatures needed to trigger a vote of no confidence.
“We have set the date of the assembly and the elections," added Vilanova. “In short, we are working for the good of Barca.”


Al-Ahli survive first-half scare to cruise to victory and tie Al-Hilal at the top of Saudi Pro League

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Al-Ahli survive first-half scare to cruise to victory and tie Al-Hilal at the top of Saudi Pro League

  • Al-Ahli draw level with league leaders Al-Hilal on 53 points after trailing 1-0 down at half-time
  • Al-Ettifaq and Al-Fateh play out seven-goal thriller in Dammam

DAMMAM: Matchday 23 kicked began with what ultimately became a comfortable victory for Al-Ahli over relegation-battling Al-Najma at home. However, the hosts endured a tough first 45 minutes, falling 1-0 behind and missing a penalty before scoring four in the second half against the 10-man visitors.

Al-Najma — fresh off their first victory in Saudi Pro League history when they beat Al-Kholood last week — arrived in Jeddah with confidence. Despite facing an in-form Al-Ahli, they controlled the tempo early on, forcing the hosts play on the back foot for much of the opening half hour.

The architect of Al-Najma’s bright start was Néstor El Maestro, returning to the Saudi Pro League for the first time in five years. After guiding the club to their first win in 21 matches, a result in Al-Ahli’s backyard would have provided the perfect reignite their survival bid.

El Maestro once said, “Life is too short to spend defending in a low block”, during his time at relegation-battling Göztepe in the Turkish Süper Lig in 2022. That philosophy defined Al-Najma’s bold approach against the reigning Asian Champions League Elite and Saudi Super Cup holders.

Initially, the strategy paid off. Davd Tijanić beat two Al-Ahli defenders with a deft move on the left flank in the 27th minute before releasing Lázaro, who finished past Édouard Mendy to hand the visitors a surprise lead.

Al-Ahli immediately pushed for an equaliser. Ivan Toney was brought down in the box in the 29th minute, only for the referee to wave away penalty appeals. Moments later, a handball inside Al-Najma’s area led to a lengthy VAR review and eventually a spot-kick for the hosts.

Toney, seeking his 21st goal of the campaign and boasting a perfect record from the spot for Al-Ahli, saw his penalty saved by Victor Braga. He pounced on the rebound, but Braga recovered to claim the ball and preserve the lead.

Braga continued to frustrate the hosts with several key saves before clashing into an opponent on the verge of half-time. The referee initially awarded a second penalty to Al-Ahli, but after a VAR review overturned the decision, Al-Najma went into the break still in front.

Al-Ahli knew a victory was essential on a pivotal weekend, with city rivals Al-Ittihad facing Al-Hilal in a clash that could influence the title race. Their response after the interval was swift, with Riyad Mahrez delivering a dipping cross that was met by Valentin Atangana, who headed in the equaliser.

Atangana was fouled ten minutes later, when Felippe Cardoso pushed him in the face. The Brazilian striker, already booked, received his marching orders from the referee.

With a numerical advantage, Al-Ahli asserted control. Roger Ibañez picked out Mahrez with a measured long pass over the top. The Algerian cushioned a first-time lay-off into Toney’s path, and the English striker finished clinically in the 69th minute.

Toney added his second of the evening — and 22nd of the season — in the 87th minute, meeting Matheus Gonçalves’ cross at the far post with a first-time finish. The Englishman completed his hat-trick in the fourth minute of stoppage time after Al-Najma conceded their second penalty of the night.

The win moves Al-Ahli level on points with Al-Hilal on 53 points, awaiting their game later this week. Meanwhile, El Maestro’s task with Al-Najma grows more difficult, as Al-Riyadh’s 2-0 victory over Al-Kholood in Qassim leaves Al-Najma eight points adrift of safety.

Elsewhere, Al-Ettifaq and Al-Fateh produced one of the season’s most entertaining encounters in an Eastern Province derby. Al-Ettifaq raced into a 3-0 lead inside 36 minutes, with goals from Khalid Al-Ghannam and Georginio Wijnaldum putting them firmly in control.

North African duo Mourad Batna and Sofiane Bendebka dragged Al-Fateh back into the contest with goals on either side of stoppage time in the first half. Madallah Al-Olayan restored Al-Ettifaq’s cushion in 48th minute, but Batna struck again in the 71st minute to set up a tense finale.

After seven goals in a back-and-forth thriller, Al-Ettifaq held on for a 4-3 victory in Dammam.

Saudi Pro League action resumes on Friday, with Al-Okhdood hosting Al-Qadsiah, Al-Taawoun welcoming Al-Fayha and Al-Shabab travelling to Khamis Mushait to face Damac. All games kick off at 10:00pm in the league’s unified Ramadan schedule.