New UK-GCC youth initiative uses art to build bridges

A new collaboration between the UK and the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) will create opportunities for young artists to foster new connections. (Shutterstock)
Short Url
Updated 01 July 2020

New UK-GCC youth initiative uses art to build bridges

  • The initiative will pair an artist in the UK with one based in the Gulf to create new collaborative work

LONDON: A new collaboration between the UK and the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) will create opportunities for young artists to foster new connections while bridging the divide caused by coronavirus travel restrictions.
The Connect ME initiative, launched by the Arab British Centre in partnership with the British Council, will provide digital residency opportunities for young artists from GCC countries and the UK.
The initiative will pair an artist in the UK with one based in the Gulf to create new collaborative work that considers how digital tools can encourage connectivity across borders.  
“Now more than ever, we want to support emerging talent and offer opportunities to artists to develop their practice, create new collaborative work, and make new connections across borders,” said Amani Hassan, program director of the Arab British Centre.
With a focus on building ties between creative communities, the program will “serve as an opportunity for artists across the UK and GCC to build new friendships, and confront the universal challenges facing emerging creatives the world over,” she added. 
Artists aged 18-30 from any discipline can apply for the program, and their art can be “anything from an augmented reality experience to a short film, a zine, (or) a live performance,” the Arab British Centre said in a press release.
The only stipulation is that the art must be delivered to the public digitally and must be capable of stimulating international connections and creativity.
If successful, applicants will receive £1,000 ($1,229) in funding, as well as a host of mentoring and educational opportunities.
Cultural exchange remains a cornerstone of the UK-GCC relationship, with various initiatives already active and creating deeper mutual understanding through artistic collaboration.


France’s foreign ministry spoke to Turkish envoy to refute “inaccurate, bias” claims

Updated 02 July 2020

France’s foreign ministry spoke to Turkish envoy to refute “inaccurate, bias” claims

  • Turkey accused France of favoring eastern Libyan commander Khalifa Haftar

PARIS: France’s foreign ministry said on Thursday it had spoken to Turkey’s envoy to refute “inaccurate and bias” claims he made during a hearing with French senators on Wednesday.

In the hearing ambassador Ismail Hakki Musa accused France of favoring eastern Libyan commander Khalifa Haftar and said French warships had been aggressive during an incident with Turkish warships on the Mediterranean last month.
“We wanted to make the necessary clarifications with him regarding the reality of the facts, omissions and inaccurate and biased information that he brought up during this hearing” Foreign ministry spokeswoman Agnes von der Muhll said in a statement.
She added that the envoy had been reminded of “the unacceptable character of Turkish behavior.”

Related