Singapore, Japan, Azerbaijan races canceled: Formula One

Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel celebrates after winning the race Singapore Grand Prix on September 22, 2019. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 12 June 2020
Follow

Singapore, Japan, Azerbaijan races canceled: Formula One

  • ‘Long lead times required to construct street circuits made hosting the events during a period of uncertainty impossible’

SINGAPORE: Formula One’s Singapore, Japan and Azerbaijan grands prix were canceled on Friday over logistical problems caused by the coronavirus, officials said.
“As a result of the ongoing challenges presented by COVID-19, we and our promoters in Azerbaijan, Singapore and Japan have taken the decision to cancel their races for the 2020 season,” a Formula One statement said.
“In Singapore and Azerbaijan, the long lead times required to construct street circuits made hosting the events during a period of uncertainty impossible.
“In Japan, ongoing travel restrictions also led to the decision not to proceed with the race.”
This year’s races in Australia, Monaco, France and the Netherlands have already canceled.
As lockdowns are eased, the season is due to start with two races behind closed in Austria in July, followed by six other grands prix in Europe.


Football star Neymar says he may retire by end of 2026

Updated 58 min 52 sec ago
Follow

Football star Neymar says he may retire by end of 2026

  • Brazil striker extended his contract with his childhood club Santos last month
  • Neymar ⁠remains doubtful for participation at the World Cup this year

Brazil striker Neymar, ‌who extended his contract with his childhood club Santos last month, said that he may retire by the end of the year.
The 34-year-old forward returned to his boyhood club Santos in January 2025 and played a key role in their survival in the Brazilian top flight, scoring five times in their last ‌five matches.
But Neymar, ‌who has struggled with ‌injuries ⁠in recent seasons, ⁠remains doubtful for participation at the World Cup this year.
“I don’t know what will happen from now on, I don’t know about next year,” he told Brazilian online channel Caze on Friday.
“It ⁠may be that when December comes, ‌I’ll want to ‌retire. I’m living year to year now.”
“This ‌year is a very important year, not ‌only for Santos, but also for the Brazilian national team, as it’s a World Cup year, and for me too,” Neymar said.
Neymar, ‌who recently underwent successful knee surgery, has scored 79 goals ⁠for ⁠Brazil, the highest by any player, but he has not featured for the national side since October 2023.
Brazil manager Carlo Ancelotti has made it clear over the past year that he will only include players who are fully fit for the World Cup, scheduled to take place from June 11 to July 19 in Canada, Mexico, and the United States.