Saudi photographer exposes big dream with images of hope amid virus gloom

1 / 2
With public movement restricted during the COVID-19 pandemic, Saudi photographer Ahmed Al-Hamwan sees hope for the future through his lenses. (Supplied)
2 / 2
With public movement restricted during the COVID-19 pandemic, Saudi photographer Ahmed Al-Hamwan sees hope for the future through his lenses. (Supplied)
Short Url
Updated 24 April 2020
Follow

Saudi photographer exposes big dream with images of hope amid virus gloom

  • Ahmed Al-Hamwan’s work has been recognized in a number of photography competitions
  • His passion for photography began as a hobby taking photos for his friends using a mobile phone camera

JEDDAH: A Saudi photographer is hoping exposure of his uplifting images amid the gloom of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak will move him one step closer to realizing a professional dream.

Ever since taking his first pictures on a mobile phone, Ahmed Al-Hamwan has harbored an ambition of photographing Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

Capturing the royal on camera would be the crowning glory of the 30-year-old lensman’s career. And it is a dream he believes will one day come true.

With public movement restricted during the COVID-19 pandemic the snapper, from the municipality of Jouf, sees hope for the future through his lenses.




Caption

After six years as a professional cameraman, Al-Hamwan takes great pride in the photograph that he took of his father.

His passion for photography began as a hobby taking photos for his friends using a mobile phone camera and archiving them, before his focus turned to landscapes.

Al-Hamwan’s first camera was a Canon 7D but he has since spent thousands of riyals on photography equipment. However, he said picture taking could generate handsome profits.

FASTFACTS

  • Ahmed Al-Hamwan’s first camera was a Canon 7D but he has since spent thousands of riyals on photography equipment.
  • Al-Hamwan recommends novices to follow professional photographers’ social media sites to help develop their skills and learn about the latest camera techniques. 

His work has been recognized in a number of photography competitions. 

In 2018, he came fourth in the “excitement” category of the Ezz Al-Khail contest against more than 100 contestants, and last year he was runner-up in the Jouf Society of Culture and Art’s photo event for best shots of the city’s tourist attractions.

He advises novices to follow professional photographers’ social media sites to help develop their skills and learn about the latest camera techniques. 




Ahmed Al-Hamwan’s work has been recognized in a number of photography competitions. (Supplied)

The more exposure an amateur snapper can get to the work of experts the greater their visual feedback, which enables faster learning and more creativity, he said.

He pointed out that the use of filtering apps in the processing of photos gave them “a good shape,” but added that however technically advanced a camera was it could never fully replicate the natural vision of the human eye. 

However, photo editing apps such as Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Lightroom could help photographers produce stunning images.

Al-Hamwan said he prefers to shoot during daytime, as light allows him to achieve the quality effects he looks for.


Berlinale responds to backlash over Gaza-related comments

Updated 16 February 2026
Follow

Berlinale responds to backlash over Gaza-related comments

The Berlin International Film Festival has issued a statement after what organisers described as a growing “media storm” linked to comments about the war in Gaza and the broader role of politics in cinema.

Festival director Tricia Tuttle released a lengthy note late Saturday following criticism directed at several high-profile guests. The controversy began during the opening day press conference when jury president Wim Wenders was asked about the conflict in Gaza. He responded: “We have to stay out of politics because if we make movies that are dedicatedly political, we enter the field of politics,” a remark that sparked swift backlash online.

Indian author Arundhati Roy later withdrew from the festival, reportedly angered by the remarks.

Other prominent figures, including Michelle Yeoh and Neil Patrick Harris, also faced online criticism after responding cautiously to questions about politics. Harris stated that he was interested in “doing things that were ‘apolitical,’” a comment that further fuelled debate.

In her statement, Tuttle defended the festival and its participants, stressing the importance of artistic freedom. “People have called for free speech at the Berlinale. Free speech is happening at the Berlinale. But increasingly, filmmakers are expected to answer any question put to them. They are criticised if they do not answer. They are criticised if they answer and we do not like what they say. They are criticised if they cannot compress complex thoughts into a brief sound bite when a microphone is placed in front of them when they thought they were speaking about something else,” she said.

She added: “It is hard to see the Berlinale and so many hundreds of filmmakers and people who work on this festival distilled into something we do not always recognise in the online and media discourse… It is a large, complex festival.”

“Artists are free to exercise their right of free speech in whatever way they choose… nor should they be expected to speak on every political issue raised to them unless they want to,” Tuttle said.