Qantas cuts international capacity, delays Airbus A350 order as coronavirus bites

Airlines around the world are experiencing a collapse in demand due to the coronavirus, and Qantas Airways was the latest carrier to announce a cut in international capacity. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 10 March 2020
Follow

Qantas cuts international capacity, delays Airbus A350 order as coronavirus bites

  • Airlines around the world are experiencing a collapse in demand due to the coronavirus
  • Carrier grounding the equivalent of 38 planes, more than double the 18 it had announced last month

SYDNEY: Qantas Airways will cut its international capacity by nearly 25 percent over the next six months and delay an order for Airbus A350 planes as part of sweeping changes in response to a coronavirus-led plunge in passenger demand.
The Australian airline also said on Tuesday it is canceling plans for a A$150 million ($98.73 million) off-market share buyback to preserve cash.
Qantas’ chief executive and chairman will take no salary for the rest of the current financial year, the management team will receive no bonuses and all staff are being encouraged to take paid or unpaid leave.
“We are using every lever we can to avoid redundancies,” Qantas Chief Executive Alan Joyce told reporters in Sydney. “We think we can do that into September with these cuts.”
Airlines around the world are experiencing a collapse in demand due to the coronavirus, which an industry body last week estimated could lower passenger revenue by as much as $113 billion this year.
“This is a significant but appropriate response,” Jefferies analyst Anthony Moulder told clients of the action taken by management.
The airline said it could no longer provide guidance on the financial impact of the coronavirus, which at the time of its half-year results on Feb. 20 it had estimated could result in a A$100 million to A$150 million hit to underlying earnings before interest and tax this financial year.
The carrier is now grounding the equivalent of 38 planes, more than double the 18 it had announced last month.
Qantas’ capacity reduction for the June quarter will rise to 17 percent, up from 4 percent at the time of its interim results. That includes plans to ground eight of its 12 A380 superjumbos, with two remaining flying and the other two in maintenance.
The carrier had been expected to place an order for up to 12 A350-1000 planes capable of the world’s longest flights from Sydney to London by the end of the month.
Airbus had set that deadline on the basis the production slots were potentially valuable and could be sold to other airlines, Joyce said.
“In the current environment that doesn’t seem to be the case. Nobody is ordering aircraft,” he said. “We have asked Airbus for a delay in the decision. We would rather wait for the coronavirus issue to be out of the way before we put a firm aircraft order in for the A350.”


Closing Bell: Saudi main index closes in red at 11,183

Updated 16 February 2026
Follow

Closing Bell: Saudi main index closes in red at 11,183

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s Tadawul All Share Index dipped on Monday, losing 44.79 points, or 0.4 percent, to close at 11,183.85.

The total trading turnover of the benchmark index was SR4.05 billion ($1.08 billion), as 69 of the listed stocks advanced, while 191 retreated.

The MSCI Tadawul Index decreased, down 6.63 points or 0.44 percent, to close at 1,504.73.

The Kingdom’s parallel market Nomu lost 328.20 points, or 1.36 percent, to close at 23,764.92. This comes as 22 of the listed stocks advanced, while 49 retreated.

The best-performing stock was Maharah Human Resources Co., with its share price surging by 7.26 percent to SR6.50.

Other top performers included Arabian Cement Co., which saw its share price rise by 6.27 percent to SR22.71, and Saudi Research and Media Group, which saw a 4.3 percent increase to SR104.30.

On the downside, the worst performer of the day was Arabian Internet and Communications Services Co., whose share price fell by 8.01 percent to SR207.80.

Jahez International Co. for Information System Technology and Al-Rajhi Co. for Cooperative Insurance also saw declines, with their shares dropping by 5.61 percent and 4.46 percent to SR12.79 and SR75, respectively.

On the announcement front, Etihad Etisalat Co. announced its financial results for 2025 with a 7.9 percent year-on-year growth in its revenues, to reach SR19.6 billion.

In a Tadawul statement, Mobily said that this growth is attributed to “the expansion of all revenue streams, with a healthy growth in the overall subscriber base.”

Mobily delivered an 11.6 percent increase in net profit, reaching SR3.4 billion in 2025 compared to SR3.1 billion in 2024.

The company’s share price reached SR67.85, marking a 0.37 percent increase on the main market.