Pakistan confirms seventh coronavirus case

In this photo, Pakistani medical staff are seen taking part in a drill as a preventative measures for coronavirus in Peshawar, Pakistan. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 15 March 2020

Pakistan confirms seventh coronavirus case

  • The middle-aged patient is a resident of the southern metropolis of Karachi
  • Pakistan opened its land border with Iran on Sunday after a two week closure

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s southern Sindh province confirmed its fourth case of the novel coronavirus on Sunday, taking the national tally to seven cases, according to the Sindh health department.
“A 50 year old diagnosed with coronavirus today is the fourth case [in the province],” Meeran Yousuf, spokesperson of the provincial health department told Arab News and said authorities were still confirming the travel history of the patient.
The new patient belongs to the southern metropolis of Karachi, a handout from the Sindh Chief Minister’s office said, with the CM directing the provincial health department to isolate all people and family members who came into contact with the newly diagnosed patient.
On Sunday, Pakistan re-opened its land border at Taftan with Iran after a two week closure as part of containment efforts, when numbers of infected and fatalities from the virus in Iran skyrocketed. On the same day, Iran reported 49 deaths in 24 hours-- the highest country death toll in a single day recorded since the virus outbreak.
Several measures have been taken by Pakistan to limit the spread of the disease from neighboring Iran, with isolation units set up in the southwestern province of Balochistan to screen people returning from Iran. Those testing positive for the virus are then placed under quarantine for a period of two weeks.


Pakistan blocks online game PUBG over ‘negative’ impact

Updated 02 July 2020

Pakistan blocks online game PUBG over ‘negative’ impact

  • PTA said it had suspended Internet access to the game pending a high court hearing on July 9
  • Police believe the 16-year-old boy committed suicide after he failed to accomplish a mission

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan on Wednesday temporarily blocked the hugely popular online game Player Unknown’s Battlegrounds (PUBG) after receiving complaints it was addictive and following media reports linking the brutal, multiplayer shoot ‘em up to suicide.
The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority said it had received “numerous” complaints from people saying the game has a “serious negative impact on (the) physical and psychological health of the children” who play it.
The PTA said it had suspended Internet access to the game pending a high court hearing on July 9.
Pakistan’s Dawn newspaper last month reported that police in Lahore had recommended a ban after a teenaged player killed himself.
The newspaper said police believe the 16-year-old boy committed suicide after he failed to accomplish a mission.
Often likened to the blockbuster book and film series “The Hunger Games,” PUBG pits marooned characters against each another in a virtual fight to the death, and has become one of the world’s most popular mobile games.
Pakistan’s move follows similar bans in Jordan, Iraq, Nepal, the Indian state of Gujarat and the Indonesian province of Aceh.