Moonstruck: Japan billionaire cancels hunt for lunar love

Yusaku Maezawa’s search for a girlfriend willing to join him on a trip into space was due to be turned into a TV show for a web-streaming service. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 30 January 2020

Moonstruck: Japan billionaire cancels hunt for lunar love

  • Yusaku Maezawa looking for a mate willing to join him when he heads on a trip around the Moon in 2023 or later
  • Former chief of online fashion company Zozo is known for his penchant for publicity stunts

TOKYO: A Japanese billionaire who launched a public search for a girlfriend willing to join him on a trip into space abruptly canceled the hunt on Thursday, despite attracting nearly 30,000 applicants.
Yusaku Maezawa earlier this month said he was looking for a mate willing to join him when he heads on a trip around the Moon in 2023 or later, as the first private passenger on a voyage offered by Elon Musk’s SpaceX.
His search for a soulmate was due to be turned into a TV show for a web-streaming service.
But on Thursday Maezawa dashed the hopes of thousands, citing “personal reasons.”
“Despite my genuine and honest determination toward the show, there was a part of me that still had mixed feelings about my participation,” he wrote, in English, on his Twitter account.
“To think that 27,722 women, with earnest intentions and courage, had used their precious time to apply makes me feel extremely remorseful,” he added.
Maezawa, formerly chief of the online fashion company Zozo, is known for his penchant for publicity stunts — including offering cash to people on Twitter.


Florida offers drive-through Botox to quarantined residents

Updated 04 June 2020

Florida offers drive-through Botox to quarantined residents

  • US state allowed a partial relaxing of restrictions imposed to slow the coronavirus pandemic
  • Elective medical procedures resume, including Botox injections and cosmetic surgery

MIAMI: Quarantined Florida residents worried about their laughter lines and crows’ feet need frown no longer — Botox is back, and it’s being offered at a drive-through.
On May 4, the US state allowed a partial relaxing of restrictions imposed to slow the coronavirus pandemic. That means certain elective medical procedures could resume, including Botox injections and cosmetic surgery.
Michael Salzhauer, a plastic surgeon known as ‘Dr. Miami’ who has also starred in a reality television show, has been conducting drive-through Botox injections in the garage of his building in the posh Miami neighborhood of Bal Harbor.
Salzhauer said the idea struck him as he was sitting in his car waiting for a blood test for COVID-19 antibodies.
“The areas that we inject Botox are the upper face, exactly the parts of the face that aren’t covered by the mask so it’s really ideal,” Salzhauer said, while wearing a mask, face shield and surgical gown as he waited for his next drive-up patient.
Patients sign up online, paying an average of $600 each for a stippling of shots across their foreheads.
Arman Ohevshalom, 36, was enthusiastic as he waited in line with his wife in their car, although it was their first time receiving the injections.
“It’s very creative, and after seeing how they’re running it I feel just as comfortable as I would in the office,” he said.
Florida’s tattoo artists, however, are frustrated. Shuttered since March, they asking why they cannot open, too.
Botox injections are “kind of like tattooing, he’s injecting stuff into the skin,” said tattoo shop owner Chico Cortez. Florida is home to about 10,000 working tattoo artists, according to the Florida Professional Tattoo Artist Guild.
An emailed statement from a Miami-Dade County spokesperson said Mayor Carlos Gimenez has yet to set a date for reopening tattoo shops. “He is working with industry members and the medical experts to come up with the best way to reopen safely,” it said.