10 Pakistanis dead, 1 critically injured in Madinah bus crash

The accident occurred 170 km from Madinah. (Nabd)
Updated 18 October 2019

10 Pakistanis dead, 1 critically injured in Madinah bus crash

  • Pakistan consulate in Riyadh confirms 11 nationals were onboard the unfortunate bus
  • Authorities trying to identify casualties through DNA tests

ISLAMABAD: At least 10 Pakistanis have lost their lives in the tragic bus accident near Madinah, official at Pakistan embassy in Riyadh said on Friday.
“10 Pakistanis lost their lives while one is critically injured,” Abdul Shakoor Sheikh, community welfare attaché at Pakistan’s embassy in Riyadh told Arab News.
Officials are making efforts to identify the casualties through DNA tests, he said.
Thirty-five Arab and Asian pilgrims were killed and four others injured in a bus crash on Wednesday near the Muslim holy city of Madinah, while traveling from Medina to Makkah for pilgrimage.
Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi Thursday night expressed profound grief and sorrow over the tragic road accident in Saudi Arabia.
According to media reports, the accident happened when a privately chartered bus carrying 39 passengers collided with a loader near Madinah at about 7pm on Wednesday.
“Of the four survivors… there is one Pakistani named Mr. Akbar, who is seriously injured,” Pakistan’s foreign office said in a press statement on Wednesday night.
“The Pakistan Consulate General in Jeddah has established contact with him and is in touch with the concerned Saudi authorities and staff of the King Fahad Hospital, Madinah, to ascertain details of casualties of Pakistani nationals,” statement read.
Reacting to the development, the foreign minister said his ministry was in touch with the Saudi authorities to ascertain the causes of the accident.
“Our diplomatic mission is in contact with the Saudi authorities to ensure that the injured get the best medical facilities and the bodies of the deceased are smoothly flown back to Pakistan,” Qureshi added.


Yemeni government back in Aden under deal with separatists

Updated 2 min 41 sec ago

Yemeni government back in Aden under deal with separatists

  • Prime Minister Maeen Abdulmalik Saeed landed in Aden, fulfilling a key point in the power-sharing deal brokered by Saudi Arabia
  • Saeed was accompanied by five key ministers from President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi’s government

ADEN: Yemen’s internationally recognized government returned to the war-torn country on Monday for the first time since it was forced out by southern separatists during clashes last summer.
Prime Minister Maeen Abdulmalik Saeed landed in Aden, fulfilling a key point in the power-sharing deal brokered by Saudi Arabia that ended months of infighting with separatists in Yemen’s south.
“The government’s priorities in the next stage are to normalize the situation in Aden first and then consolidate state institutions on the ground ... as a guarantor of stability,” Saeed told The Associated Press when he disembarked onto the tarmac.
He described the government’s return as “foundational for the improvement of civic services,” but added that “security challenges cannot be overlooked, especially at this stage.”
Saeed, accompanied by five key ministers from President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi’s government, was received by local officials and Saudi forces at the air base.
“Today we are uniting our efforts to defeat the Iranian project in Yemen and restore the state,” the government said in a statement.
In August, the separatists, overran Aden and drove out forces loyal to President Hadi, who has been based in Saudi Arabia since 2015.
The outbreak of violence between nominal partners in the coalition fighting against Iran-allied Houthi rebels added a new twist to the country’s complex civil war.
The power-sharing deal, signed earlier this month in Riyadh, calls for both sides to pull their forces out of Aden. That leaves the city under the coalition’s control, with only a presidential guard for Hadi’s protection if the exiled president were to return.
The agreement also asks that the separatists break up their militias and integrate them into Hadi’s forces.
“The plan for incorporating the security services needs to be clear and transparent,” Saeed told The Associated Press. “We have the support of the Saudis and the coalition leaders, factors that will help to implement the agreement through promising steps on the ground.”
The conflict in the Arab’s world’s poorest country started in 2014, when the Houthi rebels captured the capital, Sanaa, along with much of the country’s north. The Saudi-led alliance intervened in 2015 to drive out the Houthis and restore Hadi’s government.

Related