Contest launched to finance Saudi films with prizes up to SR40 million

Saudi women study film making at a university in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia March 7, 2018. (Reuters)
Updated 30 September 2019

Contest launched to finance Saudi films with prizes up to SR40 million

  • All entries will be assessed by juries specializing in choosing winning film projects for every track, and the results will be announced on Feb. 20, 2020

RIYADH: The Ministry of Culture launched the Daw’ (Light) Competition on Sunday to support Saudi films as part of the Quality of Life Program 2020 — one of the Saudi Vision 2030 programs — to empower national talents that are active in filmmaking. There will be four tracks, including supporting and developing screenwriting and supporting film production and films of Saudi students majoring in filmmaking at international institutes and universities.
Filmmakers from screenwriters to producers wishing to participate in the competition can apply online through the link https://engage.moc.gov.sa/film for a period of three months, from Sept. 29 until Dec. 29.
All entries will be assessed by juries specializing in choosing winning film projects for every track, and the results will be announced on Feb. 20, 2020.
The ministry aims to support Saudi talents majoring in filmmaking and provide a funding platform and logistic support to produce Saudi movies with prizes of up to SR40 million ($10.6 million), in accordance with a professional working program that includes pre-production and post-production phases.

HIGHLIGHT

Filmmakers from screenwriters to producers wishing to participate in the competition can apply online through the link https://engage.moc.gov.sa/film for a period of three months, from Sept. 29 until Dec. 29.

The competition will support filmmakers, provide all the necessary assistance to produce their films in accordance with recognized standards and bolster local movie production, which will help create a production infrastructure and clear career paths for people of different specializations in the filmmaking sector.
The Daw’ Competition will be divided into four main tracks: A complete text which will provide full or partial support to produce the film; a script under development which will provide support for writing the full script and produce the movie; a track for filmmaking students which aims to support Saudi students who major in filmmaking abroad; finally complete films, the fourth track which supports produced Saudi films that need help in distribution, presentation and local and international participations.
This competition is the biggest of its kind to support Saudi films with prize money that will support 35 Saudi cinematic projects from short and long movies which will be produced after the competition.


KSRelief chief: Saudi Arabia is biggest donor to Yemen

Updated 30 May 2020

KSRelief chief: Saudi Arabia is biggest donor to Yemen

  • Al-Rabeeah said he hoped the donors conference would be supported by the international community
  • $180 million is needed urgently to fight COVID-19 in Yemen

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia is the largest donor to humanitarian efforts in Yemen and its response to a donor conference held in 2015 is evidence of this, the head of the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSRelief) said on Saturday.
The supervisor general of KSRelief, Abdullah Al-Rabeeah, said that meeting the humanitarian needs of the Yemeni people is a priority for the Kingdom.
He added that he hoped the upcoming donors conference organized by the Kingdom in partnership with the United Nations would be supported and well received by the international community.
Meanwhile, the UN under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs and emergency relief coordinator Mark Lowcock said the Kingdom donated more than $750 million last year and pledged $500 million in April.
Lowcock added that this makes Saudi Arabia the biggest donor to Yemen, which requires $2.4 billion to fund the aid operation for the rest of the year. Of that figure, $180 million is needed urgently to fight COVID-19.
Yemen’s Minister of Information Moammar Al-Eryani said that the Kingdom has always provided support to Yemen and continues to do so at a time when Iran is “providing nothing but killing, destruction, smuggled weapons, ballistic missiles … and explosive devices that kill Yemenis every day.”
The donors conference for Yemen is due to take place on Tuesday at 4 p.m. Saudi time.