Saudi Arabia to issue 10 million Umrah e-visas this year

1 / 2
Saudi officials welcomed pilgrims arrived in Madinah on July 24, 2019. (SPA)
2 / 2
The target number of pilgrims in 2021 will be 15 million, according to officials. (SPA) Saudi Arabia to issue 10 million Umrah e-visas this year
Updated 18 August 2019
Follow

Saudi Arabia to issue 10 million Umrah e-visas this year

  • Pakistanis top list of pilgrims performing Umrah at 1.6 million this year
  • By 2021, target number of Umrah performers is 15 million: official

ISLAMABAD: The chief planning and strategy officer at the Ministry of Hajj and Umrah, Dr. Amr Al-Maddah, said that as of Saturday, August 17, the ministry is seeking to issue 10 million visas for this year’s Umrah season.
The visas will be issued electronically without the need to visit embassies and consulates for the stamp, he said.
According to Pakistan’s Ministry of Religious Affairs Spokesman, Imran Siddiqui, Pakistanis top the list of pilgrims performing Umrah. “This year alone, more than 1.6 million Pakistanis performed Umrah,” Siddiqui said.
Last month, Saudi Arabia’s cabinet decided to allow millions of Umrah pilgrims to travel to other cities in the country, instead of being restricted to Makkah, Madinah and Jeddah.
“I believe this is another gift from the Kingdom. Now, any Pakistani who travels to Saudi Arabia to perform Umrah can avail this opportunity to meet their family members and friends living in different parts of the Kingdom,” Siddiqui told Arab News last month after the Kingdom’s decision, and added that this would bring ease to Pakistani nationals who perform Umrah in the greatest numbers. 
By 2030, Al-Maddah said the ministry is seeking to issue Umrah visas for 30 million pilgrims.
Saudi Arabia had the capacity for these numbers, he said, and the Ministry of Hajj and Umrah aims to remove obstacles for businesses offering services to pilgrims.
Al-Maddah said: “The target number of pilgrims in 1442 AH (2021) will be 15 million. The ministry is well-prepared for these cumulative numbers, and pilgrims now have several e-booking platforms that continue to increase and are no longer limited to external agents.”
“The central reservation platform is a reservation engine that serves as a link connecting all Umrah service providers, including housing, Umrah, reception, transport, experience enrichment, and cultural trips associated with online booking platforms like Agoda, Booking, Musafir and others.”
He added: “This way, the ministry ensures that all services are available to pilgrims inside and outside the Kingdom through the Internet and reliable websites, which pilgrims are accustomed to using when making their bookings. The ministry will ensure that all offers adhere to the set standards and regulatory requirements.”
Al-Maddah explained that this will also guarantee that the ministry receives the pilgrims’ correct information.
He said: “This is a mechanism through which the Ministry of Hajj and Umrah organizes the process of purchasing services and packages, which were previously purchased from tourist offices with insufficient information, through the Internet and with comprehensive surveillance.”
“Pilgrims will be provided with a reference number when they buy a package from these online platforms. This will allow them to obtain an e-visa without the need to visit embassies and consulates to get a stamp because their visas are now electronic, which has been prepared since the last month of the previous Hajj season.”
According to Al-Maddah, there are certain cases that will require pilgrims to visit embassies and consulates, but most applicants will complete their procedures electronically.
He explained that pilgrims will have to access online platforms such as Agoda, Booking, Holiday Inn or Maqam, and select the suitable package offered by tour operators and Umrah companies, or they can design their own program, including the time of arrival and the rest of the bookings and services. When completed, they can enter their data and online payment details to receive the reference number to obtain the e-visa immediately. 


Farhan’s maiden ton fires Pakistan into T20 World Cup Super Eight

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Farhan’s maiden ton fires Pakistan into T20 World Cup Super Eight

  • Sahibzada Farhan remained unbeaten with 100 off 58 balls, guiding Pakistan to 199 in Group A clash
  • Pakistan’s Usman Tariq, Shadab Khan take four, three wickets, respectively, to dismiss Namibia for 97

Pakistan became the ‌final team to qualify for the Super Eight of the Twenty20 World Cup after Sahibzada ​Farhan’s maiden international century powered them to a thumping 102-run victory over Namibia in Colombo on Wednesday.

Farhan remained unbeaten on exactly 100 off 58 balls, reaching his landmark in the final over as Pakistan posted 199 in ‌their must-win ‌Group A encounter at ​the ‌Sinhalese ⁠Sports ​Club Ground.

The ⁠opener’s explosive knock featured 11 boundaries and four sixes, with skipper Salman Agha contributing a useful 38 and Shadab Khan adding an unbeaten 36 that included two sixes in the final ⁠over of the innings.

Namibia’s chase never ‌gained momentum despite ‌a promising start from ​opener Louren Steenkamp, ‌who raced to 23 before the African ‌side began losing wickets at regular intervals.

Shadab (3-19) proved instrumental with the ball as well, dismissing skipper Gerhard Erasmus before having Alexander ‌Busing-Volschenk stumped for 20 when the middle-order batter charged down the ⁠pitch ⁠as the required run rate mounted.

Spinner Usman Tariq cleaned up the tail and finished with career-best figures of 4-16 as Namibia were dismissed for 97, ending their World Cup campaign without a win to finish bottom of the group.