Thousands flee north as Assad troops force refugees from territory in Idlib

1 / 2
Displaced Syrian children gather in a field near a refugee camp in the village of Atme in the opposition-controlled province of Idlib. (AFP)
2 / 2
The Syrian government recently launched an offensive against remaining rebel territories. (AFP/File)
Updated 09 May 2019
Follow

Thousands flee north as Assad troops force refugees from territory in Idlib

  • 150,000 people have been forced from their homes
  • Regime forces captured the key town of Qalaat Al-Madiq

BEIRUT: Thousands of Syrian civilians fled north toward the Turkish border on Thursday as Assad regime troops drove into the last remaining opposition-held territory in Idlib and adjacent provinces.

The ground offensive beneath an air bombardment by Russian warplanes has forced 150,000 people from their homes, raising concerns of a new humanitarian crisis in northwest Syria.

Rasheed Al-Ahmed, a pharmacist from the village of Kfar Nabudah, said all the village’s residents had fled north and settled in camps along the border with Turkey. 

Regime troops had poured into the village as aircraft flew overhead, and neighboring villages were also emptied by the rapid offensive.

“People are living between trees and in farms,” said Al-Ahmed, who found his family a safe place in Atmeh, near the border. “It is a deplorable situation.”

Regime forces captured the key town of Qalaat Al-Madiq, the entrance point into opposition territory for insurgents and civilians moved from territory captured by the army under previous surrender deals. 

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights war monitoring group said opposition forces had withdrawn there after being nearly encircled by regime troops.

The latest wave of fighting that began last week is the most serious challenge yet to a cease-fire in the region, brokered by Russia and Turkey in September. 

Turkey failed to deliver on the agreed withdrawal of extremist factions from the planned buffer zone and, in January, the Hayat Tahrir Al-Sham group, which is dominated by militants from Al-Qaeda’s former Syrian branch, took control of the region, prompting an increase in clashes.

Thursday’s push came a day after Syrian troops took the nearby village of Kfar Nabudah, which activists called Idlib’s first line of defense.

The regime appears to be trying to secure access to a major highway that cuts through the opposition-held enclave. The road was to reopen before the end of 2018, following the cease-fire agreement, but it remains closed.


Jordan condemns US ambassador remarks on accepting Israel’s West Bank annexation

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Jordan condemns US ambassador remarks on accepting Israel’s West Bank annexation

  • The Jordanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it rejects the ambassador’s “absurd and provocative statements”

CAIRO: Jordan condemned Saturday earlier remarks by US envoy to Israel Mike Huckabee, who said it would be acceptable if Israel took control of the entire Middle East, including the West Bank.
Huckabee has suggested that he would not object if Israel were to take most of the Middle East. 
The Jordanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it rejects the ambassador’s “absurd and provocative statements,” in a statement published on Petra News Agency. 
Ministry spokesman Fouad Majali said the remarks “constitute a violation of diplomatic norms, an infringement on the sovereignty of the region's countries, a blatant breach of international law and the UN Charter.”
Majali also said they contradict diplomatic efforts by the United States and the declared position of US President Donald Trump in rejecting the annexation of the occupied West Bank. 
The spokesperson reaffirmed that the West Bank, including East Jerusalem and the Gaza Strip are occupied Palestinian territories under international law, and that ending Israel’s occupation is a must for the establishment of an independent Palestinian state on all of the occupied Palestinian territory, based on the two-state solution.