ADEN: Doctors Without Borders (MSF) has stopped admitting patients to its clinic in Yemen’s second city Aden after staff were threatened and a patient kidnapped and killed, the group said Thursday.
A group of armed men stormed the hospital in Aden, controlled by the Yemeni government, and threatened guards and staff at MSF’s emergency trauma hospital, the organization said in a statement.
The gunmen then kidnapped a patient who had been admitted the day before. The patient was found dead on a street in the Al-Mansoura district, MSF said.
“Following this incident, we have no choice but to suspend the admission of patients until further notice,” said Caroline Seguin, MSF’s program manager for Yemen.
A police commander in Aden, who requested anonymity as he was not authorized to brief the press, said the patient had been wounded in a battle between rival armed groups and hospitalized at the MSF clinic.
His body was found on the grounds of a local school, the commander said.
The southern port city Aden has served as the seat of Yemen’s beleaguered government since early 2015, when President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi fled the capital Sanaa in the face of a rebel takeover.
Many of the country’s hospitals have been damaged or destroyed and the country is heavily dependent on aid groups for medical care.
In November, MSF announced it had suspended its work in Daleh, a region inland from the Red Sea port of Hodeidah, in the face of multiple security incidents directly targeting patients and staff.
Doctors Without Borders halts work in Yemen’s Aden after patient killed
Doctors Without Borders halts work in Yemen’s Aden after patient killed
- The southern port city Aden has served as the seat of Yemen’s beleaguered government since early 2015
- In November, MSF announced it had suspended its work in Daleh, a region inland from the Red Sea port of Hodeidah
UN chief expresses deep concern over escalating Iran-US tensions
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has called for diplomatic engagement to resolve differences between the United States and Iran amid a surge in military activities and rhetoric across the Middle East, his spokesperson said on Friday.
“We are very concerned about the heightened rhetoric we’re seeing around the region by the heightened military activities, war games or just military, increased military, naval presence in the region. And we encourage both the United States and the Islamic Republic of Iran to continue to engage in diplomacy in order to settle the differences,” said Stephane Dujarric, the spokesperson for UN secretary-general.
The call for restraint follows a formal letter delivered on Thursday by Amir Saeid Iravani, Iran’s permanent representative to the UN, addressed to the Secretary-General and the President of the Security Council. Iravani emphasized that Iran is prepared to exercise its inherent right to self-defense under Article 51 of the UN Charter, promising a decisive and proportionate response to any military aggression.
Iravani further warned that in such a scenario, all bases, facilities, and assets belonging to hostile forces in the Middle East would constitute legitimate targets for Iranian defensive measures. The envoy added that the United States would bear full and direct responsibility for any unforeseen and uncontrollable consequences resulting from further provocations.










